Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Missing Woman

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,875,648 The Mix Honorary Guru
Looks like another murder...

Has anyone else heard of this yet or is it just because it's local to me?

Seems strange how some people going missing hits the national headlines, and others even when they find a body seem to pass the world by.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,875,648 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i didn't hear about it until this morning
    It was on the news today.
    It was on breakfast news this morning...

That said its no suprise - children being abducted on holiday is mercifully rare. Grown women dissapearing for a few days is less so and in 99% of cases they turn up alive and well a few days later. people going missing only is a story if straight away its obvious its a kidnap or a body or evidence of foul play is found...
    Makes sense. When I left this morning it wasn't on the breakfast news which makes me wonder.

It's now on the top 5 stories on BBC which is more what I would have expected.
    I've not heard of it.
    To be honest I think this should be in the news more than flipping Madeline. She was a normal girl out on a normal night out that went horribly wrong.

Deserves bringing to the attention of the public that these things happen far more than freak kidnappings, but then I guess its not as news worthy.
    Well, it was on ITV earlier and I don't think they spent that long on it - 5 minutes at most I think. Whereas, whenever they've reported on Madeline, it's either 15 minutes or updates every night.

I don't see how this missing woman is less newsworthy than Madeline.
    She was a normal girl out on a normal night out that went horribly wrong.

This happens far more often and always gets in the news anyway. Young girls getting snatched from their hotel rooms does not.
    It's front page of the Standard, one of the bigger stories on UK news on the BBC and I suspect it will be pretty big on the news later and in the papers tomorrow....

It hasn't been big before because if they reported every missing person the news would be full of 'Missing woman found at sisters after argument with husband', 'Girl discovered at boyfriends house', 'Missing teen returns sheepishly next morning after getting drunk and missing train home'.
    Was in The Times a few days ago. Sad story.
    Yeah first i heard of it was when they found a body. It's strange how some things make the big news, and others stay regional. I wonder what turns it from a local into a national thing :chin:
    News agencies run 100% on whether they think the public (their customers) will respond well / be interested in it.
    She's quite pretty. Guess because of that the media will highlight it more. :)
    Lacy wrote: »
    I wonder what turns it from a local into a national thing :chin:

Depends on what else is going on at the time.