Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Putin Threatens Europe...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,875,648 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6717119.stm

Could we have a 2nd Cold war on our hands?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,875,648 The Mix Honorary Guru
    well it's not good is it, europe shouldn't be taking any sides really just let the US and Russia sort it out themselves....
    Putin is a nutter and a bully. There is absolutely no justification for pointing his missiles to Europe and suggesting there might be a nuclear war in Europe simply because a third party plans to erect a missile shield on his doorstep.

Having said that I cannot blame him for developing a new generation of nuclear missiles. The US government is as responsible as the Russians for the escalation in tension. It was the Americans who decided to leave the highly successful non-proliferation treaties unilaterally and unjustifiably, and to develop a new generation of nukes as well as the breathtakingly absurd missile defence system.

The chimp forgets to mention that the system can be used for a first-strike attack. And to suggest its reason to exist is to bring down any missile attack from the likes of North Korea and Iran (LOL!) is to insult everyone's intelligence. We all know what the real purpose of the system is.

All in all, bad and dangerous times caused by a pair of dangerous, belligerent cunts who are as bad as each other.
    Aladdin wrote: »

All in all, bad and dangerous times caused by a pair of dangerous, belligerent cunts who are as bad as each other.

took the words right out of my mouth...
    inner1.gif
    I'll go find my tin hat and rifle then shall I? Glad we've got a basement and a generator at work, phew!
    Time to dust off this classic:

whenwindblows.jpg
    What is the defence system really for Aladdin? I mean, is it really to put a first strike option on the ground for the Russians? Or is it for the Chinese? It just seems they don't seem much of a threat in terms of Nuclear weapons to justify the staggering cost of this system, surely not even the American military (after seeing the cost of waging wars in Afghanistan and Iraq) would throw away so much money on such a pointless endevour.

Of course... i might be overestimating the American Military and Government.
    It's a useful tactical tool if nothing else. Even though it is highly improbable it would save the US from a Russian attack it certainly makes Russia more vulnerable and forces them to spend more resources on their own weapons- a tactic that worked well during the (first) Cold War and which many credit with the downfall of the Soviet Union.

With a smaller nuclear nation, such as China, the shield would have a half decent chance of being efficient- if they can get it to work in the first place that is.

Of course, the road to success is paved with failures and the Americans could eventually build a Russia-proof shield from the experience acquired from building this one. And that would be terrible news for the entire world. The moment the concept of M.A.D. is no longer valid we're in deep shit.

But the beauty of it is being able to use the radar network on a first strike basis, for conventional attacks or in a non-nuclear situation.

The Americans almost took the world to nuclear war because they could not tolerate the Russians having missiles 60 miles from their borders during the Cuban missile crisis. It's no surprise the Russians are not too pleased about a missile detection and advanced radar system being deployed a couple of miles from their terrirtory.
    They have been talking about a working sheild of this nature for about 20 years and have yet to even get close to it working. Frankly I think its one of those very expensive things the US government does to create jobs in key voting areas.

It might one day work if they are really lucky and if the Chinese/Russians dont also progress in terms of technology.

The Russians turning off the oil and gas for a week would probably do more damage to the US than a few nukes anyway.
    Aladdin wrote: »
    There is absolutely no justification for pointing his missiles to Europe and suggesting there might be a nuclear war in Europe simply because a third party plans to erect a missile shield on his doorstep.

Conveniently not mentioning that the third party just happens to be the USA...

I don't agree with what old Vlad is up to but understandable given that the US is imposing its interests so close to the Russian border. If I was Putin, I'd probably do the same thing. I don't think this is him being a bully, merely him responding to a quite blatant threat. I mean, why else would the Americans put a missle defence system there if it's not to keep tabs on the Russians? It's quite a long way from Iran, North Korea and China...
    I mean, why else would the Americans put a missle defence system there if it's not to keep tabs on the Russians? It's quite a long way from Iran, North Korea and China...

My guess is, its because countries in Eastern Europe are about the only ones on Earth that will allow the US to do this, much like the alledged Polish and Romanian detainment camps set up by the US.
    Conveniently not mentioning that the third party just happens to be the USA...
    What does that has to do with anything? If anything it reinforces my point. The USA is not in the European continent. Putin's missiles would be many thousands of miles off-target.

At the most I can understand a conventional weapons attack on those locations where the system will have radars and interceptors... but judging but what he said I got the impression he was talking about old style nukes-pointing-at-European-capitals Cold War. What sense does that make? :confused:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6719507.stm

Nato Condems the Russian Presidents threat...