Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How did you introduce your bf/gf to the parents

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
any ideas on how i can introduce the bf to my mum, once my mum knows the rest of the family will know in know time lol.

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I told my mum on the phone that I had a new boyfriend. At the time, we lived over 250 miles apart. She then asked questions about him to find out more (how we met etc) and then when we went to visit she knew exactly who he was :)
  • Options
    Do they know you've got a boyfriend?

I think my mam suspects I've got a girlfriend, cause every fucking phone call she asks and I've stopped denying it and I'm blatantly changing the subject and she just knows.

She's coming up the weekend after my brother graduates, so that'll be a good time I reckon. He's having a big meal in Aberdeen so the attention won't all be on her, so maybe that's the best time y'know? It's quite embarassing just thinking about it :blush:

Maybe just mention him in conversation now and again, then bring him home one night before you go out or something. Doesn't have to be a big formal "lets meet your boyfriend" thing if you don't want it to be.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    Do they know you've got a boyfriend?

Maybe just mention him in conversation now and again, then bring him home one night before you go out or something. Doesn't have to be a big formal "lets meet your boyfriend" thing if you don't want it to be.

Nope she doesn know, she keeps asking but i just change the subject, i think i might try bringing him round before we go out making sure she knows we are going out if not she will be questioning for hours LOL its just how exactly would i mention him if you get what i mean :o
  • Options
    lucky88 wrote: »
    Nope she doesn know, she keeps asking but i just change the subject, i think i might try bringing him round before we go out making sure she knows we are going out if not she will be questioning for hours LOL its just how exactly would i mention him if you get what i mean :o

Just mention his name in conversation e.g "Oh I'm going out with Ben tonight" and then change the subject onto something else really quickly. There's probably more mature ways to do it though, but I've always been embarrased about things like this.

Mums are really good at detecting things like this though, they don't always need things spelt out to them. It is really embarrasing though, eh? I can feel myself going red just thinking about the first conversation about it :o
  • Options
    I've never introduced any of my girlfriends to my parents. I'm dreading the moment it happens.
  • Options
    My mum and dad met me ex in the pub while we where both steaming drunk before we where even going out. :o He didnt really speak to them or any of my family much the whole relationship. He had issues.

I think they met the other guy I was dating before him, but he lived with my brother at uni and we did visit quite a bit.

And mums always know when your dating/fancy someone. Mine manages to guess nearly every time.
  • Options
    And mums always know when your dating/fancy someone. Mine manages to guess nearly every time.
    Oh yes. Mine knows it because "you suddenly get a spring in your step". (her words, not mine) My mum's asked for more information about my girlfriends, but I've never provided it. I don't want her knowing about it.
  • Options
    Haha the first time he came round my house, actually it was the first time we met because my friend introduced/arranged the set up sort of thing, i got quite drunk and when we popped round mine i was like ohh look mum isn't he pretty, lol, while i think he probably just sat looking embarrassed in the corner while my friend just laughed, obviously worked a treat :p
  • Options
    thats just it, i think she has an idea but she is just waitng for me to confirm it but i dont just want it to be like ' (mum-)have you got a bf" "(me-) "yes" does that make sense
  • Options
    I've got to introduce my boyfriend (for about six months!) to my parents next weekend. I'm going on holiday with him the weekend after so I've been told I've got to introduce them before they "let me out of the country with him"!!

He's already met my grandparents and sister and her girlfriend, but somehow I've managed to get out of the parent intro 'til now!

I had suggested a meal out - they are currently on holiday so we were going to go out as a "welcome home" meal, but mum said that's too scary for him (he's a fireman for God sake - he doesn't do scary!) so I've just got to invite him in for a cuppa sometime soon. Might just let him be here when they get home in the middle of the night! ;)
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Oh yes. Mine knows it because "you suddenly get a spring in your step". (her words, not mine) My mum's asked for more information about my girlfriends, but I've never provided it. I don't want her knowing about it.

I'm like that too, my Mam actually said to me on the phone the other night that she can tell I'm happier.

I just get so embarrased though.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    I'm like that too, my Mam actually said to me on the phone the other night that she can tell I'm happier. I just get so embarrased though.
    Yep. One day after I got with a girlfriend last year, my mum said "you seem happier than the usual miserable git that I know.". I declined to say anything. Three days later, she asks "so, are you going to tell me about this girlfriend of yours, then?". How the hell did she know?!
  • Options
    'Twas a while ago, just turned up with him, I think.

I'm fairly sure I mentioned I was gay before that...
  • Options
    I just hauled him in one time when he came to pick me up. He didn't have to stay long, so it was minimal stress - just show his face, say hi, and show my parents that I wasn't out gallavanting with some kind of dirt-streaked miscreant.

:thumb:
  • Options
    I told my mum I had a date the first time I went out with him, and then filled them in on things after they got more serious: "You remember that guy I went out with a couple of weeks ago?"

Because my folks live in Bordeaux, they haven't had a chance to meet him yet but he's coming out for a week's holiday with me in a couple of weeks time. It is kind of throwing them all in at the deep end, but the way I look at it, they're all wonderful people and I love them all, so why shouldn't they get on?!

I've never really understood why people make it into such a big deal. You don't panic when you introduce your best friends to your parents, and my boyfriend is by default one of my best friends.... we just happen to screw each other silly on a regular basis! :thumb:
  • Options
    mine met my mum before she knew we were going out - he came to take me to a political dinner thing and brought us both flowers :heart: she got used to the idea of him before she worked out that we were seeing each other, but basically I never told her - it took her about a month to fully realise that we were in a fully fledged relationship and by that time she really liked him, so it was all good :)

She's only met one other guy I've been with and that time she showed really crazy motherly intuition...she picked me up from my friend's house after the party when we got together and the first thing she said was "so who's the new boyfriend then?".

Mothers are terrifyingly good at that kind of thing.
  • Options
    My mum's always met my fellas when he's nippd round or whatever. Never been a big deal to me. My mum's dead chilled out and meeting a bf has never been an issue with either of us.
  • Options
    lucky88 wrote: »
    any ideas on how i can introduce the bf to my mum, once my mum knows the rest of the family will know in know time lol.

I didn't really introduce him. He left his wallet at mine and I was at my Mum's so he came to pick it up, and she invited him in for a cup of tea. Don't think I would like to have a formal introduction! Haven't met his parents as they live miles away.
  • Options
    don't know why it's such a big thing to some people. My mum knew i was going out with someone already and then one day i walked in with her. The funny thing is though, i've been with Claire nearly a year now, i'm even engaged to her but i still havn't even met her parents. It feels like she is a guest in my life, i prefer it that way and it's taken me a year to even consider that i havn't met them. Spoke to her about it once and she became quite defensive, i'm unsure why though. I don't know what her rooms looks like or how she lives, it makes me wonder what she's like in her own home, maybe a different side to her so to speak.

Has anyone else had a similar relationship? It's not as if i've asked her about it more than once in the whole time we've been together.

You've never been round her house after almost a year? That's a little strange. Does she get on with her parents? Don't they want to meet you?
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Yep. One day after I got with a girlfriend last year, my mum said "you seem happier than the usual miserable git that I know.". I declined to say anything. Three days later, she asks "so, are you going to tell me about this girlfriend of yours, then?". How the hell did she know?!

Because mums know these things. Plus they tend to recognise the same traits you display every time you get into a relationship.
  • Options
    My mum always knows. Even if I'm going on a date and I tell her I'm going to the pub she knows! Soemtimes if I think something will be causal I don't want her to know about it. But other times I just say I'm going out with (name) tonight and she'll ask a few questions.
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I think my boyfriend met my dad at my graduation hehe! How stressful, all the family there!

I met his parents on our 3rd or so date, which although was scary, I didnt know it was going to happen so I couldnt get stressed.

I told my dad on the phone, as I was at uni and said I wanted him to meet someone. That was it.
  • Options
    I first met my boyfriend's mum when she started knocking on his bedroom window in the middle of a morning sex session! The doorbell didn't work and we hadn't heard her knocking on the door. Luckily the curtains were closed but I think she realised when he opened the door looking all dishevelled and I emerged five minutes later with my t shirt on inside out! That's right, it's not just in the movies....:lol:
  • Options
    Matt:

Ok, personally, I don't live at home and I am not that close to my family. So I am not really bothered about introducing boyfriends to my family. I was with one guy for 3 years and he only met my Mum once, and that was after we'd been together about 2 years. He never met my Dad.

But if she actually lives at home, that's different. There doesn't need to be a need for you to go round..don't you ever drop her off/pick her up from her house? Just drop in and say hello.

It could be a bit intimidating to meet them all at once, at a wedding so maybe say hello first.
  • Options
    her house might be a pigsty, i found out that was the reason one of my exes never took me round his

haha nice.
  • Options
    i think i've found your problem haha
  • Options
    I had to mention to my mother that I'd got back together with my ex today. After theyd done the usual "well, he wasn't good enough for you anyway" routine.

She said -what have you been up to?. I mentioned Id gone out on friday with Dave. BIG PAUSE.
    - Yeah, were trying again.
    - About 2 months.
    - No, we never really fell out, we just were heading different ways.
    - Yes, he wants to move.

Mother: I find it so hard to keep up with you these days...

:chin: We've been together 2 years. I have only had a couple of boyfriends before that, that she'd known about anyway. If only she knew the rest, then she would be confused! :angel:
  • Options
    My boyfriend met my mum for the first time properly when he came to stay round mine (he'd just moved to London after graduating; I lived near Bath). We'd been together about four months and she began things by scaring the living daylights out of him - he was having trouble parking and she said, 'don't worry, I was really nervous when I met my inlaws for the first time!' We'd been together 4 months! :lol:

I didn't meet his parents for about another year, as they were going through a messy separation and he wanted to save me the awkwardness and frostiness of the house atmosphere...
  • Options
    Slightly off topic but this thread reminded me....

My GF's mum is meeting my parents for the first time in a few weeks. They don't speak a common language. So there will be a fair bit of translating to keep away the awkward silences. But at least this will lessen the impact of the "old embarrassing stories from long long ago" suddenly being shared.
  • Options
    I've only ever introduced one boyfriend to my parents and they hated him and they didn't hide it. In all fairness though his whole family hated me. They were really chavvy and they intimidated me so much i never said anything and they picked up on it and made fun of me everytime i was there :yeees: My parents just thought he was a total loser.