Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

named drivers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi, its that dreaded time of the year when my car insurance is due.
Im thinking of adding my mum as a named driver asthe quotes i have received have lowered by 100 pound by doing this.

The only concern my mum has is that if i have a crash and claim will it effect her no claims discount?

I thought it would only affect mine as the policy holder.

Comments

• Options
    Nope, your mum will also be affected as you're using HER bonus to pay less so the insurance companies treat any accidents you have towards your mum's history if she's listed there.
  • Options
    I wouldn't have thought so, but you can always ask them.

ETA:

I had an accident in a company car, on company insurance, that didn't affect my no claims bonus.
  • Options
    If she's only a named driver on yours, and you are the one who has the accident I'm pretty sure that won't affect hers.

You should be able to ask them and check though, or maybe a better one to ask would be your mum ring up her insurance company and ask.
  • Options
    If she's a named driver then it won't affect her. NCB only affects the insured.
  • Options
    Usually there's the option to save NCB. It may add £20 on to the premium but at least your mum won't be annoyed if you crash, cause she'll keep her bonus.
  • Options
    Usually there's the option to save NCB. It may add £20 on to the premium but at least your mum won't be annoyed if you crash, cause she'll keep her bonus.

Yeh i looked into this but i only have 2 years no claims so it wont let me take the option. Apparantly its only for 5 years no claims or more.
  • Options
    If you are the lead driver, the NCB applies in your name, not hers. Your mum won't lose her NCB your car is crashed; you will lose your NCB.

If you are the named driver on her policy, and you crash the car, then she would lose her NCB.

NCB protection is rarely worth the extra cost, and is a nice little cash cow that the insurance providers have dreamed up. You're taking out extra insurance in case you claim on your insurance, which is a tad bizarre when you look at it. Espeiclaly when NCB protection weighs in at about £50 a year; about half of what the NCB is worth in the first place.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    If you are the named driver on her policy, and you crash the car, then she would lose her NCB.

it depends on the company, some places don't do this