Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

claiming tax back

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
going through my papers, i have found out that i paid about 100 quid in tax about 4 years ago when i was a student. how easy is this to claim back? will it take long to come through?

Comments

• Options
    I just rang my local office, gave them my NI number and they sent me a cheque out.
  • Options
    drumbeat wrote: »
    going through my papers, i have found out that i paid about 100 quid in tax about 4 years ago when i was a student. how easy is this to claim back? will it take long to come through?

being a student doens't exempt you from paying tax, it's just that they assume you won't earn over your persoanl allowance so your tax code lets you not pay. You see, thesite does teach you some useful shit sometimes. Still, if you earnt under your personal allowance, claim it back.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    being a student doens't exempt you from paying tax, it's just that they assume you won't earn over your persoanl allowance so your tax code lets you not pay. You see, thesite does teach you some useful shit sometimes. Still, if you earnt under your personal allowance, claim it back.

:yes: I was going to say this.
  • Options
    If you weren't working that much when you were a student then you probably didn't hit the threshold so you should be able to claim it back.

Ring up the tax office as a starting point.
  • Options
    drumbeat wrote: »

When you say four years ago - what tax year are you talking about?? 2003 / 2004 started on 6th April 2003 and ended 5th April 2004. Best thing you can do is write to your tax office giving a full list of employments and periods spent studying since 6th April 2003 to the present day leaving no gaps in the history. Make sure you put your national insurance number on the letter too. You could enclose all your P45's and P60's but I would hang on to them until we ask as we could already have the info. Might take a few weeks as everyone is applying for repayments at this point in the year.