Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Lord Goldsmith on 'Unreliable Evidence' in ten minutes...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,875,648 The Mix Honorary Guru
Thought I would mention, for the benefit of anyone who wants to see the Attorney-General squirm over his advice on the legality of the Iraq invasion, that he's on 'Unreliable Evidence', Radio 4, in about ten minutes. It's a repeat from a few days ago, and I thought his defence was pretty poor...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/unreliableevidence/

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,875,648 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Was interesting. Thought that the comments about the 17 page reasoning was okay but not his conclusion...
    I think he has a point about him being a politician and accountable. There's a move to take thing away from politicians and give them to technocrats - which is fine in some ways, but does mean that more and more power goes to people who are not dependent on the democratic process...
    What I took exception to was this notion that the Army and Navy wanted a clear answer on the legal status of an invasion, and Goldsmith somehow felt that it was his place to give it, in spite of all the prior caveats. First politician I've seen who believed in the importance of a straight answer, considering that all the others have viewed 'Yes or No? in an interview as a cue to avoid either option, at great length, as if taking part in the game, Yes No...
    Any chance to see or hear Lord Goldsmith squirm in embarrassment is welcome. This certainly was. As ever, the defence he offered was pathetic. How this man ever became Attorney General is beyond me.