Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Woman dies after electricty cut off

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Full Story

A gravely ill woman dependent on an oxygen machine died after a power company confronted her over an unpaid bill for £62 and cut off her electricity supply.

the women who suffered from heart and lung disorders, begged the contractor to switch the electricity back on. But, with the alarm of her oxygen machine sounding, he told her that he was only doing his job.

** This happened in New Zealand**

But what do you think? Should the energy company be charged with corporate manslaughter or is down to the individual who actually cut off the power? Or would you say it was a tragic accident due to poor communication?

Personally, I think the power company should be held responsible along with the individual who actually cut off the supply. Surely someone with an ounce of common sense should have known you cant cut off the power to this women. I feel really sorry for this womens family because this death could have been so easily preventable.

Thoughts ?

:thumb:

Comments

• Options
    maybe she should have paid her bill?
  • Options
    Thats a bit fuckin awful!! :sour:
  • Options
    I think the Police in this case had it right; lets wait until all the facts in case become clear before jumping to conclusions; even companies deserve the presumption of innocence.

however if it does turn out that this is the case, as described by the family, then there should be absolutely no clemency in prosecution.

Read the article; she was disabled. There were at least mitigating circumstances, and whatever the case its hardly a capital offence.
  • Options
    She should have called an ambulance though.
  • Options
    Territt wrote: »

I thought someone might say that. I'm sure if the family was financially able to do so they would have. Even if she was deliberately withholding payment from the power company they still shouldn't cut off the power to a customer whose life depends on it.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    I thought someone might say that. I'm sure if the family was financially able to do so they would have. Even if she was deliberately withholding payment from the power company they still shouldn't cut off the power to a customer whose life depends on it.

the company said they weren't aware of her condition though, until the final phone call

besides, are you saying that she should be able to carry on forever not paying her bill because her life depended on it?

maybe if she had have explained the situation to the company, they could have come to some sort of agreement

it's a sad story, but I dont think anyone should be prosecuted for it
  • Options
    it's a sad story, but I dont think anyone should be prosecuted for it

Everything defaults to the law of capital, even life.
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    She should have called an ambulance though.

P'haps her phone had been cut off....
  • Options

mobiles...neighbours...phone box?
  • Options
    the company said they weren't aware of her condition though, until the final phone call

Do you really think they are going to admit otherwise ? The guy who turned off the power clearly knew of the situation.

The son said that his mother, who was sitting next to her oxygen pump, begged the contractor to give her another chance and restore the power. But the contractor responded that he had a job to do. “She said, ‘Give us a chance, I need the oxygen’,” said her son. “But he said he was doing his job that was why he cut the power off.”
    besides, are you saying that she should be able to carry on forever not paying her bill because her life depended on it?

No, not forever. But the power company should work with the customer to find a sensible way of getting payment. Would you cut power off to a hospital because their bill hadn't been paid?
    it's a sad story, but I dont think anyone should be prosecuted for it.
    Tbh if everything that has been reported is true, then this is most definitely manslaughter, others might even argue murder.
  • Options

I assume even deep dark New Zealand has some form of free phone emergency services for people who are about to die...

Sad story, but i think they'll be more to it than them just flicking the switch her on electric knowing she was likely to die from it though
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    then this is most definitely manslaughter, others might even argue murder.

yes, BUT.. she lived for 2 hours after it was switched off

she could have gone the hospital, gone to a neighbours

she and her family had a choice, she/they chose not to do anything or go anywhere

if my mum was dying infront of my eyes, there is no chance in hell i'd let her sit there for 2hours (or however long it was)

i think there is definately more to the story...
  • Options
    Here something from The Sydney Morning Herald

Within minutes of the power cut, Muliaga was unable to see properly and soon fainted, her grieving son Iatitaia Muliaga, 20, told Radio New Zealand.Ambulance officers called to the home were unable to revive her, he said.

Source
  • Options
    The District Health Board said Mrs Muliaga would not have been sent home if she needed the machine to stay alive

We do not expect it to be used 24 hours a day. Most people use them at night, particularly just to support their breathing and to relieve any distress from breathlessness while they are sleeping."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10442627
  • Options
    Seems there is a lot more to this than meets the eye...

In this country anyone who is dependant on an oxygen supply has a back up, be that a spare tank or back up power. Most oxygen supplies don't actually need power though, they run off the tank pressure.
  • Options
    Littleali wrote: »
    yes, BUT.. she lived for 2 hours after it was switched off

she could have gone the hospital, gone to a neighbours

she and her family had a choice, she/they chose not to do anything or go anywhere

if my mum was dying infront of my eyes, there is no chance in hell i'd let her sit there for 2hours (or however long it was)

i think there is definately more to the story...
    Things aren't always that straightforward.
  • Options
    lea_uk wrote: »
    Things aren't always that straightforward.

true, but if your mum/wife was dying, i think most of those things are achievable
  • Options
    If it were my mum i'd be doing what I can to pay the bills for her.

You have to look at it as well from the power company's point of view. How did he know she was disabled??? He only had her word on that, maybe he's been fooled before. Who knows?
  • Options
    I think it's a bit unlikely that she needed the oxygen machine to survive, even if she paid her bill on time every month there could have been a power cut! I think it's more likely that due to the stress of the situation she needed it at that moment and there was no power.
  • Options
    if the machine needed power, and failed straight after disconnection, then the machine was deeply flawed. there should have been a backup, as disconnection happens for other reasons other than non-payment.

there will be more to it than meets the eye.