Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Ear Wax buildup

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys. Lately, I've had a bad wax buildup in one ear, and it was starting to get on my nerves again. I know it's wax buildup because I've had it a few times before - being a lead guitarist I'm exposed to alot of loud music and I'm always poking to get wax out, which I know doesn't help, but it's force of habit. Anyway, I've took drops in the past and it's cleared up. This time, I've taken drops and olive oil and I've gone half deaf! It's exactly like when you get off a plane and you're waiting for your ears to pop. Anybody else had this with ear drops? Can it be normal? I'm going on holiday in 2 days and I need this sorted...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I would suggest making an appointment to see the Nurse at your Doctors and get your ears syringed! If you are flying over the next few days it would be best to get it sorted otherwise you may feel some discomfort at altitude.
    Splodgey wrote: »
    I would suggest making an appointment to see the Nurse at your Doctors and get your ears syringed! If you are flying over the next few days it would be best to get it sorted otherwise you may feel some discomfort at altitude.

It's okay, I'm driving, not flying. I just meant I don't want this bugging me for the whole of the holiday or it will piss me off! I reckon it's probably too short notice for my useless doctor now...
    Do you have anyone near by that does candle waxing or anything like that?
    squeal wrote: »

No!
    It's worth a shot for the doctor/practise nurse. You can often get nurse appointments short notice.

Or I think walk in centres do it.
    It's worth a shot for the doctor/practise nurse. You can often get nurse appointments short notice.

Or I think walk in centres do it.

You swim alot right? Have you ever experienced anything like this taking drops or whatever?
    I do swim a lot.

Fairly frequently you get water stuck in your ear, happens more with a build up of ear wax. Basically you just have to wait for it to escape/evaporate and until that point it'll irritate you. If that's what it is the things sound like you've got your head under water.

What sometimes helps is drying the inside of your ear, nothing hard like an cotton bud as that will just push any wax further in, but toilet roll sometimes does the trick.

Generally though, you need to get the wax sorted.
    I do swim a lot.

Fairly frequently you get water stuck in your ear, happens more with a build up of ear wax. Basically you just have to wait for it to escape/evaporate and until that point it'll irritate you. If that's what it is the things sound like you've got your head under water.

What sometimes helps is drying the inside of your ear, nothing hard like an cotton bud as that will just push any wax further in, but toilet roll sometimes does the trick.

Generally though, you need to get the wax sorted.

Thanks for the info...
    shadow wrote: »
    I get this problem in my right ear.

Yeah? How do you deal with it?
    just trot down to your local pharmacist and pick up an ear wax kit. some have a hose that you use to blast warm water through, others have drops. take your pick.
    squeal wrote: »

:no: Do not do that. Only highly trained proffessionals in health should put anything in your ear. (Yeah stop poking about at the wax,you've obviously made it worse:rolleyes: ).
    I've heard that one of the contra-indications in that candle wax thing is if the person has a perfirated ear-drum... there is no way they can check if you have one or not, and not everyone knows when they have one, so it's really quite dangerous.

One of my ears keeps blocking. It's really annoying. I went to the chemist and talked to one of the pharmasits and she gave me these super strength eardrops. Maybe you need to try out a different type of eardrop.
    But when you have time, definatly go to the doctor... as it's a recurring thing it's going to irritate the hell out of you if you don't get it sorted properly.
    I wear hearing aids and get wax build-up constantly. As you have taken olive oil, you are halfway there already. As with Splodgey, book a session with the nurse for a little water treatment.
    I perforated my ear drum recently... by going too deep with a cotton bud. It's addictive, but oh so risky, as I found out...
    Perforated ear drum is reversable, but takes 2 months to heal.
    Yeah, mine's all fine now - the dried blood came out one night, and I woke up and I could hear again. It was dead annoying though, being deaf in one ear.
    Ilora, do you remember how long your's took to fix? Mine was 2 months, although the delay may have been due to the fact that hearing aids do not expose the inner ear to fresh oxygen.
    Mine was about 3 months before I got my hearing back...
    I gave it olive oil and drops for about a week and it cleared. If it gets bad again, I'll get it syringed, but I can definately recommend using olive oil first. The wax was coming out by the bucket load...
    Only remember, do not use drops or olive oil when you have a perforated ear drum. If you're not sure, get the nurse or doc to look at it first- you're not wasting their time, it's better to be safe than sorry. If your wax doesn't loosen and self remove after daily drops, the doc/nurse can try syringing. In stubborn cases, they will use a tiny spoon type instrument with a light and microscope to scrape the wax out. Do not poke your ears with stuff. Ear candleing is bollox.
    I have problems with wax build up and been to have my ears syringed twice. having them done was bliss! doing the warm olive oil in ear and cotton ball was necessary the week before syringing as the wax tends to be too hard, but boy is it worth it! the only problem with having them syringed can make your ears more at risk to this happening again.
    The previous time my ears got blocked was when id had a bath and submerged my ears. The nurse said that they were blocked because when the water meets the ear wax, the wax tends to expand! I dont know wether she was trying to scare me though..