Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

what do you look for in a boyfriend/girlfriend/other

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
what do you look for?

for me physically i like:

-taller
-muscular but not too much
-dark eyes/ hair
-cheeky smil
-tatoos as long as they aren't tacky

personality:

-i love any one who can make me laugh ! so, funny
-confident
-loud-ish
-independent
-a bit of jealously at times cos its nice to be loved
-loyal
-fairly intelligent

Comments

• Options
    Physically

-A pretty face with a lovely smile.
    -Pretty eyes.
    -Medium length/long hair, nicely done.
    -Good fashion sense.
    -Nice legs.

Personality

-Confident but not arrogant.
    -Loves having a laugh and going out places with me.
    -Funny and sweet.
    -Loyal
    -Dirty in the bedroom.
  • Options
    That's quite a particular set of criteria there!

For me... hmm... I like a nice smile, and usually dark hair/eyes.

Personalitywise, they have to have a good sense of humour, be communicative and be as ambitious as I am... I've recently noticed that I really can't stand people that are making no effort to do things with their lives :chin:
  • Options
    Theyve just got to be physically attractive to me, but that doesnt mean any specific thing. It just means I have to look at them and think phwoarr. All my partners have all looked very different.

Personality, we just have to connect - understand each other and accept each other, have similar sense of humour and of whats right and wrong.
  • Options
    I have things that appeal to me looks wise, like brown eyes and nice arms, but am not that bothered as long as I like them.

There are some things that are essential though. They must have a job/career, no kids, have a car and not live at home, and not be boring and just want to stay in all the time.
  • Options
    My main requirement at the moment seems to be 'lovely'.

Something in common, but different lives. Like someone else said some kind of purpose in their life otherwise I seem to get irritated. Usually non smoker but that currently seems to be sliding.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    and not be boring and just want to stay in all the time.

:yes: That is so essential!

One of my exes was so boring! I loved her but she never wanted to go out anywhere, just sit in watching TV all day, and that was one of the main reasons why I broke up with her. She has the same sort of relationship with her new boyfriend too...sad, boring people are a HUGE no no!
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    :yes: That is so essential!

One of my exes was so boring! I loved her but she never wanted to go out anywhere, just sit in watching TV all day, and that was one of the main reasons why I broke up with her. She has the same sort of relationship with her new boyfriend too...sad, boring people are a HUGE no no!

Yeah..staying in sometimes can be quite nice with a boyfriend, but all the time? I'm someone who likes to go out and make the most, not necessarily bars and clubs all the time, but go out and do things.

It would drive me mental to be with someone who wanted to stay in constantly.
  • Options
    Yeah..staying in sometimes can be quite nice with a boyfriend, but all the time? I'm someone who likes to go out and make the most, not necessarily bars and clubs all the time, but go out and do things.

It would drive me mental to be with someone who wanted to stay in constantly.

Yeah I don't mind staying in to watch TV and have sex on like a Sunday afternoon or something... but I'm one of the biggest party animals around! lol Staying in is not something I like to do often.
    I love to go out raving and partying until sun rise, clubbing with my mates, getting pissed up, meeting new people, trying new drugs e.t.c. That's just the kinda person I am, and to be with a girl who hardly ever left the house was just so dull.
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    -Dirty in the bedroom.

forgot about that bit
  • Options
    I have things that appeal to me looks wise, like brown eyes and nice arms, but am not that bothered as long as I like them.

There are some things that are essential though. They must have a job/career, no kids, have a car and not live at home, and not be boring and just want to stay in all the time.

they have to own a car? so what if you met a really nice bloke, you were attracted to him but he didnt own a car, that would put you off? in my opinion, things like that are just materialistic, doesnt determine someones personality. none of my boyfriends have had cars, i personally don't care about things like that. my current boyfriend works full time as a barman, but i'm at uni studying to become an art teacher, we get on great, have tons in common.
  • Options
    I'm pretty open to suggestion. Physically I do like tall people, but other than that I'm pretty non-specific.

Personality wise, I'm a bit more choosy. With casual shit I'm not, but for boyfriend material I need someone quite forward, confident and able to stand up for themselves. I've turned into quite a strong character as time has passed by, and my last boyfriends have been pushovers and I've got really bored with them. Understanding my sense of humour helps too, as does actually having some personality.
  • Options
    I want someone who's trustworthy, appropriately sensitive and soppy, extremely easy on the eye, who has a nice length of hair I can play with, won't go down without a fight in a slanging match, one who enjoys play fighting, going on random adventures, has goals, doesn't believe in sexual politics, appreciates time apart, is well travelled therefore has good chat (I stole this from Briggi), is a few years older than me (preferably), gets on with all my mates, likes to get muntered at the weekends but also won't mind me curling up with a duvet on their couch to watch naff films if I can't be arsed going out, and someone who's a fantastic lay as well, has pals I get on with too and don't feel as though I'm invading 'their' territory if I come on the scene, someone who can cook or attempts to, someone who's incredibly spontaenous (never know how that's spelt), someone who's also quite generous and has a standard of socially acceptable good manners.

Every lad I've went out with has been like this at some point, but they get scared of commitment and they stop being consistant.
  • Options
    they have to own a car? so what if you met a really nice bloke, you were attracted to him but he didnt own a car, that would put you off? in my opinion, things like that are just materialistic, doesnt determine someones personality. none of my boyfriends have had cars, i personally don't care about things like that. my current boyfriend works full time as a barman, but i'm at uni studying to become an art teacher, we get on great, have tons in common.

ok maybe I shouldn't have said they HAVE to have one, but it helps. It's crap getting the bus everywhere and having a car means you can do more things and have more freedom. Everyone I've been out with (bar when I was 16/17) has had a car..don't really care if it's materialistic..obviously if they live in London it's a bit different.
  • Options
    Blimey i don't think I could answer question that so specifically. Someone who is funny, who I click with and who I'm physically attracted to and probably someone who is a little bit 'cool' - without it going to the twatty stage and someone who can laugh at themselves.
  • Options
  • Options
    Physical
    My height (5'7") and above but not much taller than 6'2"ish
    Dark/blonde hair long enough to run my hands through
    Quite muscular but not massive muscles
    Nice smile
    Nice eyes

Personality
    Caring
    Fun Loving
    Honest
    Trustworthy
    Good sense of humour
    Appropriatly sensitive
    I'd rather have someone who has a job than someone who lazes about 24/7
    Good at communicating
  • Options
    1983 wrote: »
    I want someone who's trustworthy, appropriately sensitive and soppy, extremely easy on the eye, who has a nice length of hair I can play with, won't go down without a fight in a slanging match, one who enjoys play fighting, going on random adventures, has goals, doesn't believe in sexual politics, appreciates time apart, is well travelled therefore has good chat (I stole this from Briggi), is a few years older than me (preferably), gets on with all my mates, likes to get muntered at the weekends but also won't mind me curling up with a duvet on their couch to watch naff films if I can't be arsed going out, and someone who's a fantastic lay as well, has pals I get on with too and don't feel as though I'm invading 'their' territory if I come on the scene, someone who can cook or attempts to, someone who's incredibly spontaenous (never know how that's spelt), someone who's also quite generous and has a standard of socially acceptable good manners.

Every lad I've went out with has been like this at some point, but they get scared of commitment and they stop being consistant.

That all sounds good to me.
  • Options
    hmmm.. i dont really look for anything specific in a boyfriend.
    if he appreciates me, and we get along great.. and he isnt vain or arrogant then thats good enough for me.
    (weeelll there are probably other aspects that id like too.. but cant think of em :D )
  • Options
    Needs to be physically attractive in some way, intelligent, communicative and can have fun. Not too much to ask for I don't think...
  • Options
    Looks wise as long as I'm attracted to them then it's good enough for me. However little things can put me off like long nose and ear hair or something petty :p

As for everything else:

-If they don't make me laugh then they aren't in for much of a chance
    -Caring, Loving and Respectful
    -Understanding and Supportive
    -Enjoys going out but also loves cuddly night in bed :heart:
    -Faithful
    -Most importantly someone who i can be myself around.

There are probably lots more but those are the main ones.
  • Options
    Physical
    around my height (5'9") or smaller. not too small tho.
    must have nice hair (brunette preferably, but i'm not that bothered) and a nice smile and nice eyes too.
    physically fit/not out of shape.

Personality
    Trustworthy
    Funny
    Have a good fashion sense
    Share similar interests
    Like going out to bars / watching gigs / general stuff
    If she could play an instrument or sing, then that would be a huge bonus and be amazing.
  • Options
    I don't have many specifics but there are things I prefer in girls.

Physically:

Smaller than me, love petite girls.
    Nice face and smile.
    Nice enough body but doesn't have to be a fitness freak.

Personality:

Someone who doesn't take life seriously
    Fun loving/loves to go out
    Confident
    Fairly intelligent
    Spontaneous
    And most of all, not clingy wee controlling cunts, need my independance. :thumb:
  • Options
    Can someone tell me what the "other" is referring to in the question?

Anyway, the only real thing I look for is someone who makes me feel good when I'm with them. That's all it's about really int it?

But I suppose I have noticed I have a bit of a type.

Physical:
    - smaller than me, height wise and just in general size.
    - tanned skin (which I was reliably informed by my make-up artist friend is technically known as a warm skin tone).
    - dark hair. Has to be long as well.
    - nice bum and legs.
    - pretty face obviously (small nose, small lips, pretty eyes, and ears that stick out a bit).

Personality:
    - gotta be a girly girl at heart. If you don't at least wear a dress or a skirt every now and then, I'm not interested. :p
    - confident and outgoing, but not loud if you get what I mean.
    - not afraid to laugh at herself, and can give as good as she can get.
    - someone who doesn't fit anywhere. The type of person where you find out they like a band or film and you're like "wow do you?" rather than, "oh yeah, thought you might." Can't stand people where you can pretty much predict their taste and opinions about everything by looking at their myspace or whatever.
    - and usually linked to the one above, intelligent.

I also seem to have a thing about foreign girls whenever I meet them.
  • Options

Mail order bride? Blow up sex doll? Monkey?
  • Options
    Usual stuff (trustworthy, honest), able to take the piss out of me and themselves, chilled out, bit bitchy about other people but they melt in my company. It's cool as fuck you could give them compliments till the sun goes down but they just think you're being silly and it doesn't go to their head. Happy enough with themselves, but not so much that they think they're God's gift or something special and keep banging on about how great they are. Able to sit and watch soppy films and give each others hand a wee squeeze at a really soppy bit.

Somebody's who's themselves from the outset and doesn't bother playing games, being a cocktease and not just coming out and saying what's on their mind - openess is really important. Pet names, play fumbling and having a laugh are good too. I love it when she's funny and knowlegable with it, nothing better than a girl who shares your sense of humour. It's good if she's got the same taste in music and stuff aswell.

I think it's important that she "gets" me, I know some girls think I'm silly and a bit away with the fairies but when they understand what I'm about and it clicks then it's just the most amazing thing in the world and it's just bliss.

Nice face and in proportion, blonde is quite nice. I probably go for just normal birds, not emos or goths or neds or indie scene girls. I've also been very lucky that my last few girlfriends have had absolutely massive tits :thumb:
  • Options
    I don't really have criteria that I look specifically for in someone because that would rule potentially perfect people out. However there are things I don't look for.

Physically I wouldn't be keen on girls who are too tall, or fat. I have no preferences regarding eye, hair colours etc, but I do find myself more often with blond/fair girls. Probably just coincidence though. Pretty is always good.

Personality - as long as she's not controlling, manipulative, clingy, close-minded or some kind of freaky fundamentalist, then I'd be open to all personalty types.
  • Options
    (need to add some more)

-Spontaneous as i like to do things on impulse
    -FUN because i like to be kept enterained
    -Good in the bedroom because i get bored easily
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »

I probably go for just normal birds, not emos or goths or neds or indie scene girls.

Agreed, they can all go to hell IMO.
  • Options

Transexual ? Cross-dresser?

I dont know .. i was just trying to cater for some of the 'weirder' folk on these boards
  • Options
    Physically, I'm not all that picky. I'm tall so taller girl helps but really, I don't have a type. I'm far more into the baggy jeans and t-shirt look than short skirts etc.

Personality wise...umm...she has to love the film This Is Spinal Tap. Seriously. I can't love someone who doesn't appreciate the 'Tap or Christopher Guest in general. Appreciating me is obviously a big deal because I'm a bit strange. They have to be clever too. But like stupid things.

Me with tits basically. Or, at the very least, bigger tits than me :o