Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Thinking too much

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
im 24 and my girlfriend is 19. she lives 250 miles away while she is at uni.. but comes from the same town i do.. (long distance relationship). i travel at least for a few days every month to see her and vice versa, we do try to see each other at every occasion we get.
i love her to bits but i do think way too much.. everything she says or does i look way too much into it.. thinking she is up to something.
for example just last week i stayed at her flat for a week, for some reason i wanted to look through her old phone (you know just to check!). we had been going out since christmas day and i saw a message on her phone sent to her at 2 in the morning in march time, and it said " can i ring you now?". it was from a bloke called tom.. i left it a few days then decided to ask her about it. she said he is a friend, then i said why is he texting you at 2 in the morning? she said because she saw him out and wanted to say hi but he dissapeared so she text him.. she also confesses they had a bit of a thing at uni last year which didnt put my mind at ease but she assures me that it is nothing.
i got very paranoid thinking she had someone on the side.. i kept playing it over and over in my mind and the more i thought about it the more i was getting worked up about it. why wud she be that desperate to talk to someone that isnt that significant anymore and why want to chat at 2 in the morning.. questions, questions, questions i kept asking myself.
why cant i believe her?
we nearly broke up over it cos i was saying i dont trust her and to be fair she hasnt done nothing for me to distrust her and she is a wonderful caring girl.. i hate the fact that i get suspicious and paranoid with her.. i would love it if there was help available.. im insecure, jelous and paranoid but i dont want to be...

Comments

• Options
    Keep yourself busy.

Works for me.
  • Options
    You'll grow out of it. Trust me. Looking back at the posts I made back in the day, I was exactly the same. Now im cool as a cucumber.
  • Options
    You'l learn to get over it but i dont think it will completely go. When i first got with my boyfriend i was the same as you but i had to learn how to deal with it.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hi, I split this thread from the old one so we can focus on the new post about this issue without distractions from 2003 thread.
  • Options
    :eek2:

am I the only one that thinks your way over reacting? She hasn't done anything to betray your trust by the sound of it, yet your the one breaking hers by going through her things without even asking.

People have drunken phone calls at silly times in the morning when they have been out.. it doesn't mean anything at all!

If you don't trust her and there is a distance like that then I don't think there is much hope for the relationship really.
  • Options
    One of the hardest things about long distance relationships is when one person is having new experiences, meeting new people etc... the problem is this is usually what happens as the distance is caused by someone going to Uni or similar.

The main problem is that whilst that person is off having fun, the other is left with their own routine, their job, their old friends etc... it does leave time for thinking.

As Namaste said... keep yourself busy... take up a new hobby - make sure that when you speak on the phone at night you both have things to tell each other...

It isn't an easy situation to be in, I know, I've been there too - you have to be careful not to make her feel guilty for her being away though which is what will happen if your not careful. Look forward to when you can be together again and make plans for your future, this will give you both confidence that the relationship will get past this distance blip!
  • Options
    Splodgey wrote: »
    The main problem is that whilst that person is off having fun, the other is left with their own routine, their job, their old friends etc... it does leave time for thinking.

Thinking, yes. Thinking that the other person is cheating on you, no. I'm sorry but long distance or not, trusting someone is a separate issue in my opinion.

When my boyfriend is out on a night and I'm stuck at home working hundreds of miles away I don't stop thinking about him, but I'm thinking about how much I wish I could have nights out with him more often and how I miss him. I never ever think that he'd be cheating on me.

Trust is so important and infortunately if you choose to violate somebody's by spying on them then you have to be prepared to find things you don't want to see.
  • Options
    I don't think you really should have been 'checking' her phone for one. That doesn't exactly prove you trust her much! Having a long distance relationship is bloody hard work, and one of the main things about it is trusting each other. TBH your gf sounds completely inocent, but I don't know her or whatnot! You need to learn to not read into things so much. Girls can still have mates that are guys and it be purely platonic! You shouldn't let such an insignificant text ruin (what sounds like) a great relationship. x
  • Options
    boggis wrote: »
    i saw a message on her phone sent to her at 2 in the morning in march time, and it said " can i ring you now?". it was from a bloke called tom.. i left it a few days then decided to ask her about it. she said he is a friend, then i said why is he texting you at 2 in the morning? she said because she saw him out and wanted to say hi but he dissapeared so she text him.. she also confesses they had a bit of a thing at uni last year which didnt put my mind at ease but she assures me that it is nothing.

For all you know Tom could a relative of hers. Just because she has male numbers on her phone, doesn't mean there's something going on between them, does it?

Why are you with someone if you can't trust her over something silly like this?
  • Options
    i'm terrified that my fella is going to be like this. you have to ask yourself what she can do to regain the trust, or if it's something you can get over on your own. i'd hate to be in her situation, probably 100% innocent and terrified because you don't seem to trust her anymore.