Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

P4Something

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've just filled one of these in for payroll, as it seemed to be the right one.

I'm sort of a student (but only did 5 weeks of uni this year as sent home sick). And have been on the payroll of the swimming pool forever as I do occasional shifts there.

Did 3 months there from mid Jan-15th April this year, and then had a couple of weeks off before starting my placement which I'm on for 10 weeks (like a standard student summer placement).

I looks like I'm going to end up paying lots of tax and then have to claim it back because of not really being able to class self as 'student only working in the holidays'.

Anyone any experience of this and does it sound about right?

Comments

• Options
    It would have been a P46 I think. (Two sided A4 sheet, green printing?)

I dont think you could count yourself as 'student working in hoildays only' plus the total income for the year needs to be below your tax-free allowance (£5225 this tax year)

You should only be on a normal tax code (522L) but if you still count as being on the swimming pool payroll it could cause tax problems as the revenue might think you as having two jobs. Speak to either your payroll department on your placement or give your local tax office a call for advice.
  • Options
    I've talked to payroll here (placement), and we decided that because of the work I did in March /Feb I didn't fit the student requirements.

I'm pretty sure because I'm on the pool payroll, and do the odd shift there I count as having two jobs, well that's the conclusion I came to with payroll. They reckoned that there's not a lot that can be done unfortunately and just need to admit defeat and look forward to the rebate.

It's especially annoying as I wasn't eligible for any benefits while I was ill and away from uni and unable to work because I still counted as a student.
  • Options
    Odd shift here and there unfortunately counts as proper continous employment. Working in the holiday periods only while in uni is the only criteria that allows you to complete the P38(s) student declaration. Are you still enrolled at Uni as such??

What might benefit you is to ask the payroll departments at both your jobs for your P45 when you don't envisage working for them for a couple of months or so. You can make a P50 repayment claim every four weeks then. You do need to wait for four weeks before making the first claim though. It's not ideal but will save you having to wait around til your paperwork catches up with you.
  • Options
    I think I am still enrolled as a student, classed as 'suspended studies' as far as I know.

Have to say it's a horrible position to be in, you get none of the support a student gets and all the hell a working person gets without the benfits of either.

Thanks for your help, I'm having enough trouble getting payslips out of the pool at the moment, once I've conquered that one I'll move onto P45s.