Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Wrist tattoo's

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Gonna get a new tat next week so will ask this then but....

I've seen a lot lot wrist tattoo's on the net and they seem to be about maybe 2 inches down from the artery, is there some kind of rule that tattooist won't do anywhere near these veins?

Comments

• Options
    I had heard as much, it's probably a fairly sensible precaution :)
  • Options
    ive never heard anythign like that, but if you think about it, if the skin was that thin in that spot that a tattoo gun could penetrate it deeply enough to injure you then you'd spring a leak way more easily than you do.

Maybe its a pain thing...less muslce/fat under the skin is the general rule for the more painful areas for tattooing.
  • Options
    i have a wrist tattoo which is on the area youve mentioned - and the place i went to had no problems doing it there!
    i guess it depends on the place u go to as to whether its ok or not.

didnt hurt too much having one there either! i heard its pretty painful
  • Options
    The reason why some tattooists don't do it is because your hand frequently bends and manouveures.

So as a result if you get a tattoo there and you move your hand the skin creases, and will break the scab whilst the tattoo heals which means you have a big white patch where ink should be soaked into the skin.

That's what my tattooist said to me, anyways. It does make sense when you think about it.
  • Options
    Cheers, I'll see. Wouldn't mind getting one where I want it but will settle for a little further away.

Tattooist's do seem to be a bit funny with where they will tattoo unless you already have quite a few already. It took me ages to find somewhere to do the back of my neck. Seems like these places near me won't do tattoo's that will be on public display all the time, which makes me laugh because it's your body, you gotta live with it.

Similar to what I'll get on my wrists, if I can find the translation, I forget what this means now.

tibetantattoo744477hz0.png
  • Options
    The only reason they might not tattoo too close to your veins is for the reason that AlmightyBob mentioned- bleeding. When I got my wrist done it bled like mad and that was nowhere near any big veins. Just talk to them though, if you really want it right over your wrist, they could perhaps arrange to do it in sittings to minimise the bleeding, or maybe choose a more delicate design that needs less work.
  • Options
    Makoto, it is the Tibetan word for "equanimity", which means "to be free from attachment or hatred for others".
  • Options
    the needle won't ever penetrate more than 1.5mm. there shouldn't be any problem doing one on your wrist tbh.
  • Options
    Ive only ever heard of tattooists refusing to do work on faces, necks and hands...but to be honest, if your coming in for your first tat and its all across your face, you wouldnt do it would you? But if its someone whos covered in ink from head to toe then there'd be less of an issue.
    Most tattooists are consciencous (sp?) folk, but theres always someone who will do anything for the money.