Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

loneliness

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

Im a student at uni and having just come back from 4 weeks at home with my family and friends, i'm finding it really hard as im really lonely. I dont have any friends at uni just people i say the occasional hi how r u too.

i dont know what to do, i do find it hard to make new friends and especially when i dont really like going in bars and drinking.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what i can do?

A very lonely, Rachel. :(

Comments

• Options
    Uni can be a lonely place if you allow it to be....

You do have to make an effort though. There will be others who don't like going out clubbing/ drinking, so your not the only one.

Have you thought about joining some clubs or societies ? Uni's have loads of them in so many different sports or activities. This is a great way to get new experience and meet new people. Perhaps take up something you have never tried before.

:thumb:
  • Options
    it might just be a phase too...i used to feel quite lonely and down after comin back to uni after being at home for a month for thr holidays. just becuase its completely different and it takes a while to readjust to being there.

but i agree with what the above poster said about makin an effort - its not too late in the academic year. theres lots of pressure on people in freshers week to join new societies and make lots of new friends, and then if you dont do it then you've missed out...this isn't true, if you make an effort whenever, then people will make an effort back. i made some of my best uni mates later on in the uni year and not during freshers week.
  • Options
    rachm2007 wrote: »
    Hi,

Im a student at uni and having just come back from 4 weeks at home with my family and friends, i'm finding it really hard as im really lonely. I dont have any friends at uni just people i say the occasional hi how r u too.

Since so many people come from every direction of the country to study a lot of people feel like that. Someone needs to make a change, why won't it be you?
    I started studying (officially) last october, and now I am good friends with 5 people and decent mates with 5 more.

There is no time for social anxiety in an uni, what if you can't attend a lecture and need someone to make notes for you? We even arrange different people to make notes on different days, so we can be a bit lazy (or better follow the lecture).

Uni is supposed to be one of the best times of your life, but it can be a sad and lonely place (an I'd be unable to finish a degree under such conditions), so do something for it!!!!
  • Options
    You're the only one who change this.

I ued to be the same as you. I started a new course in September and only knew one person (who I've probably spoken to once or twice) but do now pretty much get on with everyone. It was the same when I started my work plaement, but now I will talk to pretty much everyone. (I even say hello to parents, which I never used to do)

Many people are probably in the same situation as you.