Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Blair hails 'signs of change and progress' in Iraq, as the mortars drop around him.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A fitting end to a sorry saga (at least for the PM); in quite possibly Blair's final visit to Iraq as leader, he made this statement as the sound of mortar shells thudded the ground nearby.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/6672097.stm

At what point does something become so obviously contradictory between what is being stated and what is happening. Unmitigated tragedy and woeful miscalculation - even Jimmy Carter's not impressed.

And as far as the WMD threat is concerned, if we weren't threatened before we fucking are now. According to the UN monitoring agencies who were forced out due to the invasion, satellite observations have recorded almost unchecked looting of sites in Iraq that, while not possessing actual weapons, house technologies that could be used in their manufacture. (Source: Chomsky, N. 2005. 'Failed States'. (Penguin, NY) 29)

A statement from a Jordanian journalist in contact with border Officials on teh Iraqi-Jordanian border stated that radioactive materials were detected in every one-in-eight trucks leaving Iraq (Source; Associated Press, June 2005)

Comments

• Options
    I was laughing loud in the car this morning when I heard a government spokesman's comments. When the interviewer suggested that the insurgents might have a worryingly high level of intelligence which allowed them to know Blair was in Iraq and prompted them to shell the Green Zone, the spokesman said it was just a coincidence as 'mortar attack are a common occurance in Baghdad'.

That's alright then. :)
  • Options
    Tony Blair's permanent state of delusion continues. He just doesn't seem to realise that most people in the world hate his guts. This was most likely an attempt to kill him. Why else would there be a mortar attack at that particular time and moment? Instead of going to Iraq for photo opportunities, he'd be better quitting Downing Street now and talking to Cherie about how they're going to pay that £5million mortgage they're apparently lumbered with. Now there's something he might be more useful at!
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    how they're going to pay that £5million mortgage they're apparently lumbered with.

Let's see:

memoirs?
    Lecture circuit?

Hmm, should take all of about a month to clear that...

Seriously though, just because all the news reports is the bad, doesn't mean that there isn;t any good going on. I'm not delusional by any means but the difference is that I talk to people who have been on the ground out there. Iraq is more than just Baghdad you know...
  • Options
    The Blair Rich Project worked out Tony Blair alone could make £5-£10 million in the first year. Cherie could also make a few million.

I don't think a £5 million quid mortgage is much of a problem. I cant see the Halifax turning him down :p

:thumb:
  • Options
    well Musharraf made a packet from his memoirs, image what Blair could get.
  • Options
    well Musharraf made a packet from his memoirs, image what Blair could get.

I bet Musharraf didnt get on Parky or Richard & Judy :D