Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What to do with money?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have around £500 so far in a tin that I am saving. Next week this will increase to about £1700. The thing is I do not want this lying around the house anymore but I do not want to put it in my current account. It is birthday money and such that I want to keep hold of for the time being and not have it tied up in an account that I cannot access whenever I want.

What would be the best thing to do? Can anyone recommend a good account?

Comments

• Options
    LLoyds TBS tracker saving acount? I have this. You have a choice of whether or not to gert a card with this. If you don't get the card, you can't just draw out money whenever you like.
  • Options
    Put it in a savings account (Instant Access) so you can get you mits on it whenever you like.

I would never be able to resist the temptation just to blow it all. Go shopping in New York, that will be good. :yes:
  • Options
    I have a montly saver with Lloyds at the moment. I think this turns into a Guaranteed Tracker after a certain amount of time. I want to keep this money separate. I am with Lloyds at the moment but I would not mind opening an account with another bank if it has good rates.
  • Options
    Get an ISA? The interest you earn is paid tax free (unlike any other savings/bank intrest). There are plenty of instant access ones around. Just use a comparison website or the tables in the sunday papers to find one for you.
  • Options
  • Options
    instant access ISA. I think all the banks do them. big tax free interest. I forget the limit, I think it's gone up to £7k per tax year though.

I've one with nationwide, tis good :)
  • Options
    A&L debit account, credit account, saver account and ISA account. Various saving oppurtunities without the need to give them 1 month's notice when withdrawing money like back in the "grey book" days.

Save, withdraw, go.
  • Options
    give it to me?