Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Interior Design

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What's your style? For people who have their own place, how've you decorated? For everyone else, what's your ideal place gonna look like?

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    We have a thing about focus walls with daring colours...

Our lounge and dining room (which are seperated by the chimney breast) have a deep chocolate colour on the same wall which really brings the two rooms together... it also goes really well with our gorgeous corner sofa...

http://www.scssofas.co.uk/product_imgs/products_lrg/chirchillcorner640x480.jpg

In our bedroom we have a deep purple/pink colour by our bed... which frames our 6ft by 7ft leather padded waterbed perfectly.

In the flat we sold to move here the focus wall in the lounge was a gorgeous purple - it was like squashed ribena on the wall!!!

Apart from that we like things cosy and comfortable but modern and different... :)
  • Options
    I think I'd need something that would look good with a plasma TV in it, and some fancy-looking surround sound speakers. The sort of speakers that cost thousands of pounds just because of how they look. I kinda like the Japanese look (but in a room bigger than the average tokyo apartment). But I also like Joey's apartment in Friends when he moves into his own place, with the porcelain animals. :D
  • Options
    Oh, and by the way, if you have your own place, you've got to share pictures. :p
  • Options
    I never bothered. got a map of africa buetacked onto one magnolia wall, and a couple of walks in Snodonia on the side of my cabinet, other than that- nowt, not even a mirror on the wall. I do however, have a snuggly throw on one of my sofas, for movie watching comfort.

Ooh, I tell a lie, all my crimbo beads are still up on the lights from xmas2005.
  • Options
    I like neutrals in the livingroom and I try not to have much clutter cos Abbie likes to create her own clutter! My bedroom is red.
  • Options
    Ever bang you head on those lights when you wake up?
  • Options
    Nope, they're more at the bottom half of the bed than the top :D
  • Options
    Modern, contemporary with an egde.
  • Options
    I love this bedroom.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    oh my word!

How gorgeous is your house!
    Haha, you're only getting photos cos I've spent the day cleaning it!
  • Options
    I love this apartment.
  • Options
    I'm living in a student house at the moment so the house in general is a mishmash of all our styles - kinda of shabby chic/hippy.

My room is white but I've hung sari fabric from the tops of the walls so it's dark blue/dark red and purple, and then one wall is mostly window. I've hung lamps behind the fabric so the light is warm and coloured. I have a huge collage of maps marking my travel routes on one wall, and then the others are covered in my poems/poems I love, photos, newspaper cuttings, quotes and postcards, some of my sketches (half are still in progress) and cinema/theatre/activity tickets from the past year.

I like a bit of clutter so long as it's organised - I have lots of woven boxes of different shapes and sizes which are overflowing with fabric and clothes and crap, but they're kinda organised, and I have lots of piles of books everywhere but organised into sections as much as possible.

I like places with character and stories; minimalist places are so soulless, I'd be worried I'd disappear if I spent too much time there....
  • Options
    I like neutral walls and I like to bring colour in with accessories and flowers. I do not like clutter everything has a place. I like to have just a few personal items in each room.

First photo is my bedroom. I live at home and chose the decoration myself but this is the style I would like my house

Second photo is one of the living rooms.

Most of the furniture in the house is from Laura Ashley :heart: but we have items from Ikea too.
  • Options
    I do like a big indoor plant. I had a mini palm tree in my room in the last year of uni.
  • Options
    ButtonMoon wrote: »
    I like neutral walls and I like to bring colour in with accessories and flowers. I do not like clutter everything has a place. I like to have just a few personal items in each room.

First photo is my bedroom. I live at home and chose the decoration myself but this is the style I would like my house

Second photo is one of the living rooms.

Most of the furniture in the house is from Laura Ashley :heart: but we have items from Ikea too.
    :heart:
  • Options
    I would want somehting fairly minimal because I don't like clutter! I would want some bold pieces of furniture or wall art as well to give a focal point. It would be very stylish and modern but still comfy.

I wouldn't have any beige/browns or earthy tones becuase I hate them. I would like black and hot pink or hot red or bright blue and lots of magnolia lol.

As for my kitchen.. It would be all stainless steel. My bathroom would have a seperate bath and shower cubicle and lots of tiny blue/green tiles.

I just like modern stuff!! plasma tv screens on the wall.. latest sound system..

BUT I would want my apartment to have the original features so ideally it would be in a converted warehouse with some brick wall or a column or something interesting.. and big big windows. i like natural light!
  • Options
    I agree with Lipsy about original features. I love high celings, sash windows, original coving, fireplaces, panelled doors etc.
  • Options
    The flat we're about to move into isn't a new one, so it's not a minimalist Ikea-y one or anything. It's quite plain I suppose with inoffensive furniture, but I have bought this throw to go on the sofa. I'm going to grow some plants in pots on the window sills, and we've got a couple of stained glass hangy things for the windows too. I've got lots of cushions and things to have on the sofa and in the spare room. I'm going to buy some goldfish as well.
  • Options
    ButtonMoon wrote: »
    I agree with Lipsy about original features. I love high celings, sash windows, original coving, fireplaces, panelled doors etc.

yeh! I think its because I've grown up in a victorian house with high ceilings and nice big windows and I have an original fireplace in my bedroom :)
  • Options
    I'd actually love an big open plan apartment that is in an old industrial building with mega high ceilings and an an exposed brick wall.
  • Options
    Yeah original features are the way forward. My parents' home was built in 1920 and still has its original features; high, corniced ceilings, panelled hallway, beautiful feature stained glass, arts and crafts banisters etc. I want it.

At the moment our flat looks like we threw a rager of a party and then a tornado hit, so you aren't getting to see the "living" parts :razz: There is the girls' room/nursery and our bedroom. Also the kitchen when we first moved in (hideous) and after I painted up the cabinets (ever-so-slightly-less hideous). Nothing particularly exciting I'm afraid!
  • Options
    ... and the other bits, the "master" (that's a laugh!) bedroom is the nicest bit of the house, I love the lead-through dressing room part. Even if you couldn't swing a cat in there ;)
  • Options
    Your flat's lovely briggi! It's actually much bigger than I imagined it to be. The nursery is great, looks like you got a good deal with the cots too, they look very smart.
  • Options
    Ha, yeah it isn't that small. I'm prone to exagerration when talking about our humble abode. We still need somewhere bigger at some point, but it doesn't bear thinking about at the moment!

I know! The cots were a really good deal, I canNOT believe they would've been chucked out. They still had the stickers on them and everything. Well, waste not want not! :D Did I tell you I used that mothercare code when I bought the pram? If not I should've thanked you, you're a shiny, shiny star :heart:
  • Options
    i shall post pictures of my new place once i've got it all sorted...but it's not going to be that fancy considering i can't paint the walls...so far i've been given a red and white poka dot rug for my bedroom...so i'm slowly getting there.-
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »
    Ha, yeah it isn't that small. I'm prone to exagerration when talking about our humble abode. We still need somewhere bigger at some point, but it doesn't bear thinking about at the moment!

I know! The cots were a really good deal, I canNOT believe they would've been chucked out. They still had the stickers on them and everything. Well, waste not want not! :D Did I tell you I used that mothercare code when I bought the pram? If not I should've thanked you, you're a shiny, shiny star :heart:
    You did?! Oh I'm glad it worked. I can't remember what the offer was on it now but I'm glad it was of use. Which pram did you get in the end?
  • Options
    When I buy me a house this is how I want the bedroom
  • Options
  • Options
    OMG that floor looks familiar, I do believe I've slept on it :chin: