Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Best online Banks with real people and buildings

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have an online account with Smile Bank in addition to a main account with Natwest and Halifax but I never really feel like my money is safe..

Anyone else ever feel this way about online banking?

If I was to open another Internet Bank Account I reckon I'd feel safest putting in somewhere like Tesco's Savings cos at least I go there often and I can't imagine them ever going bust ..

Anyone anyone got any recommendation on a Good Online Bank Account tied to real bricks and motar ? (e.g. to a High Street Bank, Post Office, SuperMarket, etc)

Comments

• Options
    smile is the co-operative bank's online only account.

I bank with the co-op, who do have a coventry branch. AFAICS they use the same webinterface.
  • Options
    Nationwide is nice and easy to use, quick friendly efficient, you can walk into the branch and ring up as well as use them online.

Gets :thumb: from me.
  • Options
    smile is run by the co-operative bank, and lets be honest, they're not going to go bust. they are a major banking institution, and they do really exist (i bank with them).

tesco finance is operated by RBS, not the supermarket chain, and they've as much chance of going bust as the co-op does.
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote: »
    smile is the co-operative bank's online only account.

I bank with the co-op, who do have a coventry branch. AFAICS they use the same webinterface.

Yeah I know .. but it still feels funny .. also what I hate about Smile Bank is that I can never log into it by memory alone ... it asks for sort code and account number .. like that's very memorable :confused:

However that service I found from First Direct Works Really well so if I put in my smile details once then it's not so bad..
  • Options
    I think HSBC is the nuts for internet banking. I dont think I have found any other bank with such good Internet banking facilites.

:thumb:
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    I think HSBC is the nuts for internet banking. I dont think I have found any other bank with such good Internet banking facilites.

Well considering how bad their staff are in our local branch they probably needed to find a way to improve things!!

so what's special about it and how do you login into it?

can you do it from memory or does it ask you some hard to remember stuff like Smile Bank
  • Options
    Well considering how bad their staff are in our local branch they probably needed to find a way to improve things!!

so what's special about it and how do you login into it?

can you do it from memory or does it ask you some hard to remember stuff like Smile Bank

Nah, you can log in with a username (IB Number) and password. If you can remember these its easy. You can do most things on there, transfer money between accounts or to third party accounts. Set up and cancel direct debits. Check statement etc etc all the things you would want to do really.

The staff at HSBC are never very good, and the call centres even worse, but the internet banking site is the nuts.

• Options
    Nationwide is nice and easy to use, quick friendly efficient, you can walk into the branch and ring up as well as use them online.

Gets :thumb: from me.

I would have to agree, I've not had any problems with the staff, or the net banking.
  • Options
    I do Halifax online and it's fine.
    Never had any problems and never felt like it wasn't safe.

I have to have an RBS account for my job in September so will be interesting to see how that goes.
  • Options
    I'm with A&L (Alliance and Leicester). 4 accounts, 1 login. Very handy. I have spoken to customer services a couple of times and they are based over here, not outsourced overseas.