Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Question About Alcohol

Just wondering, but what alcohol can I drink that doesn't contain wheat or malt? is it just beer & whisky or is there more?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    vodka?
  • Options
    surely beer has malt in it?
  • Options
    I think sofe was giving to examples of alcohol that contain wheat/malt.

Off the top of me noggin, though i don't know 100% for sure

Vodka (potatoes)
    Rum (sugar cane)
    Wine ( grapes :p )
    Brandy (wine)
    Cognac (champagne)
    Gin ????? It's a basic alcohol that's the flavoured so the alcohol may well be made from some sort of grain.
    RTD's Like Breezers, WKD
  • Options
    That's correct, Rubberskin. Sorry for not explaining that last bit too well.

Thank you everyone.
  • Options
    tee he, my mistake, missunderstood- should have guessed though, be a bit ditsy of you to not know beer was malt! lol
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    vodka?

Be careful with that, I did vodka training in a bar (:rolleyes:) but actually potatos is only one of the things they use. Some use wheat, and some use a mixture of a load of ingredients (smirnoff). Most of them say thought so you can easily find one that uses potatos
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Cognac (champagne)

Eeee is it? How does that work? Enlighten me please!

You are quite the spirits expert. Sure beats my vodka training :p (actually it doesn't because we got to drink it all at the end heh)
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    Eeee is it? How does that work? Enlighten me please!

It's either made from champers or from the grapes that make champers. Anyone can make brandy, but cognac has to be made in and around the town of Cognac, in France (like champagne has to come from the Champagne region). There's also some strict rules on it's manufacture too, grape variety, distillation, ageing etc.

ETA Interesting Cognac Fact #237

Approximately 1 million bottles worth of cognac evaproates from the Remy Martin cellars every year. This is known as 'The angle's share'.
  • Options
    RubberSkin wrote: »

Approximately 1 million bottles worth of cognac evaproates from the Remy Martin cellars every year. This is known as 'The angle's share'.

Fuck! I think the angle's have a drink problem :D
  • Options
    Vodka (but check the bottle/online can have potatos) Gin as well, cant remember what its made of though.
  • Options
    cider
  • Options
    otter wrote: »
    cider

Why didnt I think of that? Cider is a good one, espcially if you can get a locally brewed 100% just apple one (try your local farmers markets if you have them)
  • Options
    perry
  • Options
    Green's do a range of gluten free beers, if it's the gluten that is a problem for you. I don't think they are very cheap though, we sell one at work and I think it is £2.39 for the bottle.

(This won't be any help to you but it's a list of vegetarian and vegan beers, for anyone interested.)