Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Pregnancy tests...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Exactly how likely/unlikely is it to get a false positive result?

Is it even possible? If it is, what's likely to cause it?

(Ffs. Here we go again...)

Comments

• Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    It is extremely unlikely, tbh. It *does* happen but it is extremely rare.

If you got a positive, I would assume you are pregnant. However, take another and see what it says.
  • Options
    the nurse at the family planning clinic told me that theres a 98% of a positive pregnancy test result being wrong. so its pretty much certain that its correct, i wished i hadnt spent my money on 3 tests after she'd told me that. hmm.

hope you're alright nikki.
  • Options
    extremely unlikely.

Some fertility drugs may make you get a false positive
  • Options
    Eurgh. I knew that was going to be the answer. I'll take another later then I guess....

Ha. Don't know whether to laugh or cry yet.
  • Options
    have you had a positive pregnancy test nikki?
  • Options
    Yeah. Was sitting making a shopping list for tomorrow, wrote tampons down then realised my period was late. The only other time my period has been late in my life was when I was pregnant. Grr. Going out in like half an hour though, so can't rant about it yet or I may just cry. Ha.
  • Options
    I had a false positive a few years ago.
  • Options
    Hope your ok nikki, i would take a couple more tests and see what they come up with :)
  • Options
    Hope you are okay :)
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Not sure what to think yet :)
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    hey babes, like I said yesterday, you know where I am, but just want you to know I am sending you huge hugs and snuggles :heart:
  • Options
    Quite a few of my female friends are pregnant at the moment, (I'm convinced the men at Haven spent the entire winter trying to find out who'd be first to impregnate his missus) and this is an issue they've raised before. They tell me that no pregnancy test has a 100% accuracy rate, so it's always possible that the result is wrong. However, many of the kits on the market have been available for years, so that must say something about their accuracy.

Don't rush into any decisions here. At this point, there will no doubt be women gathering round saying "hang on, Danny, you're a man, you've no right to enroach on this discussion". Bollocks. I would say, if possible, involve the father of this child in your decision. I emphasise the "if possible" part. I have no idea what the circumstances your pregancy occured in were, and nor do I need to know. If the man in question really isn't someone you'd want to raise a child with in a million years, best to keep him out of the entire thing.
  • Options
    Aw Nikki, it's pretty safe to say you're pregnant if you've had a + test.

As SCC says they can occur as a result of some drugs (used in infertility and cancer treatment) but that's so unlikely that I wouldn't really factor that in unless I knew you'd been through infertility or cancer! However, if you haven't retested then it'd be worth doing so. Either at home or through your GP if you'd prefer that.

Aside from that, I hope you're coping alright with your thoughts and feelings about the possibility of being pregnant again -- if you've even had the opportunity to sit down and hash it all out in your own mind yet. Also - I hope it goes without saying - if you need to have a blab or any advice then... anytime :heart::)
  • Options
    Thanks for all the advice everyone :) Butttt... I got my period today. So as painful as it is, I'm glad. :) Thank god for that.
  • Options
    Oh that's good, i'm pleased for you :)
  • Options
    Don't want to put a damper on your pleasedness, but are you sure it's a period? May sound a silly question but as the others have pointed out it's not very common to get a false positive. Also bear in mind that it is possible to have bleeds like periods when you're pregnant. I had a 'period like bleed' which made me not even consider i might be pregnant but i found out a few weeks later that i was, although i went on to have a miscarriage. Hope it is just a period and everythings ok though.
  • Options
    would it be a good idea to take another after your period to be sure?
  • Options
    If what Nikki* has gone through is a very early miscarriage (sometimes called a biochemical pregnancy) then there's a chance HCG would still be in her body after her period so the pregnancy test may still show up positive. Might be worth retesting two/three weeks after you started bleeding Nikki?
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    If what Nikki* has gone through is a very early miscarriage (sometimes called a biochemical pregnancy) then there's a chance HCG would still be in her body after her period so the pregnancy test may still show up positive. Might be worth retesting two/three weeks after you started bleeding Nikki?

Yeah this is what my friend pointed out to me last night (because I don't think of things like this). I'm going to the doctors today, because I don't trust my implant anymore (for obvious reasons) and then I will probably obsess over testing for the next few weeks. Just to make life easier eh? :)