Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Reclaiming bank charges - what to do next...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
OK... I have been following the guide from money saving expert.com
I sent barclays a letter asking for my last 6 years statements, they gave them too me, I detailed all the charges and sent them a copy of that saying I think its unfair blah blah blah I want the money back...

Now I got a letter from them today basically saying "we are sorry to hear you are unhappy with the charges, someone will look into this for you and get back to you within 4 weeks time"

On money saving expert they say if they get back to you and its anything but them offering you the money back... then just go to the next step with is thretening to take them to court...

Do you think I should go ahead with this step now, or wait and see what they do? Obviously im eager to push things forward, but it does seem a bit like they are saying they are going to look into my problems and im saying no fuck you lets go to court....

any advice would be good...

cheers

Comments

• Options
    JamesZero wrote: »
    OK... I have been following the guide from money saving expert.com
    I sent barclays a letter asking for my last 6 years statements, they gave them too me, I detailed all the charges and sent them a copy of that saying I think its unfair blah blah blah I want the money back...

Now I got a letter from them today basically saying "we are sorry to hear you are unhappy with the charges, someone will look into this for you and get back to you within 4 weeks time"

On money saving expert they say if they get back to you and its anything but them offering you the money back... then just go to the next step with is thretening to take them to court...

Do you think I should go ahead with this step now, or wait and see what they do? Obviously im eager to push things forward, but it does seem a bit like they are saying they are going to look into my problems and im saying no fuck you lets go to court....

any advice would be good...

cheers

MSE usually give decent advise, I'd follow their advice.
  • Options
  • Options
    What did you ask for in your original letter? Did you specify a time period for them to get back to you in and if so what was it?

Most complaints procedures have things that state they have to acknowledge your complaint within x days although they don't have to deal with it that fast. It sounds like what you've got is the acknowledgement that they have recieved your request and are now processing it, so they are keeping you in the loop of what's going on.

Particularly now one of the banks has won on this one I'd give them the 4 weeks to actually look into it (rather than giving you an automated reply saying 'we've got your letter') and keep a teeney bit of good will.
  • Options
  • Options
    'Backing down and pussyfooting' does really depend on what you asked in the first place really doesn't it though. It all depends what the OP wrote in his letter............
  • Options
  • Options
    Yea, sorry its taken so long to get back... have been very busy...

I gave them 2 weeks in the original letter, they did respond within the 2 weeks.. but only to tell me to wait another 4.

I think I'm going to follow the advice and push on further with this, I have taken the next step on the site and sent the letter basically saying I'm not happy with your response and if I don't receive the money within 14 days I will proceed with court proceedings...

I'm really hoping they back down at this point lol

thanks for the advice