Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Question About Diarrhoea

I've had diarrhoea on and off for a while now. According to the doctor, it's likely to do with an intolerance.

Anyway, I went to have a blood test done and felt dizzy and couldn't stand up properly for long. The nurse was going through some recent notes and asked me if I still had diarrhoea and I said yes.

She then asked if I was drinking throughout the day and I said it vaired because I'm not allowed to drink when I want when I'm at school/on placement but drink whenever I need to when I'm at home. She told me it was likely because I wasn't drinking enough.

According to mum (who is a care asissant) if I didn't drink enough, I would get constipation.

Who's right? TBH, what the nurse said didn't made any sense at all.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't think diarrhoea is caused by drinking too much, is it possible that you have misunderstood the nurse, she may have asked you if you have been drinking enough to find out if you are replacing the fluids lost when you get diarrhoea.

Also if you said to her that you were feeling dizzy when you stood up, perhaps she asked if you had been drinking enough water in order to establish why you were feeling like that and suggested that you might not be drinking enough in relation to that problem and not the diarrhoea.

Do you keep a diary of what you eat? Its a good way to find out what food could be causing you problems, if any!
  • Options
    Pink_Angel wrote: »
    Do you keep a diary of what you eat? Its a good way to find out what food could be causing you problems, if any!

Mum suggested that I do that again. (I had to do it a month ago because I was always getting diarrhoea)

The thing is, it seems I get it after I've taken peppermint oil for my stomach and eaten, so I don't know if it's that or something else.
  • Options
    if you have diarrohea you loose a lot of water which needs to be replaced. if you don't drink enough for one reason or another you're body is going to start feeling weak and acting funny - eg. dizzy spells, lack of co-ordination, nausea, etc - thats what the nurse meant.
  • Options
    u take peppermint oil caps? Do you have IBS? could it be connected to that?(i dont know much about IBS)
  • Options
    From what you've said it sounds like you're not drinking enough to compensate for the diarroea which would make you dizzy.

A really accurate diary of everything you eat (and supplements, tablets etc) for a reasonably long period of time will be useful to help find a cause.
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote: »
    u take peppermint oil caps? Do you have IBS? could it be connected to that?(i dont know much about IBS)

I do take peppemint oil but the doctors I've seen aren't 100% sure that I have IBS. (hence the blood test)