Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Would Anyone Else Find This Weird?

Got a PM yesterday from someone on a message board I post on. I've probably spoken to this guy a few times. He asked if I had MSN and he would like to get to know me better, but told me not to think he was a weirdo or anything like that.

Anyway, I addded him and we got talking. He then said 'I don't want you to get the wrong idea but I only asked you because you come across as sad and lonely. I added you because I get like that sometimes and thought we could be friends.'

Anyone else think this is weird? I admit I've PM'd people I've probably spoken to (and met) once or twice, but that's purely because I want to get to know them better and not because I feel sorry for them.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sofie wrote: »
    Anyone else think this is weird?

Depends really, do you come across as someone who is sad and lonely on that board? If so, then he's being sincere. If not, then maybe it is a bit weird...either way, I wouldn't blame him on anything malicious.
  • Options
    I don't think you come accross as sad and lonely, are you?
  • Options
    No I'm not.
  • Options
    Well.. its just the way they perceice you isn't it from what you write on the boards. I don't think theres anything else to discuss?
  • Options
    No I'm not.

then it's a tad weird, but whether it's malicious is up to you to decide but it doesn't sound like it to me. Could they be sad and lonely themselves and projecting on you, maybe?
  • Options
    people often try and find people similar to themselves that they can relate to better, thats human nature so he probably didn't mean anything by it in an offensive way. i'm guessing he's sad and lonely and wants some company from you. - whether or not you want to give that to him is up to you. don't forget the guy cannot see you or properly interact with you, read your body language, etc because you're just on the other end of a computer so i suppose its understandable that he's managed to read the signs wrong. take the issue up with him amy be? but in answer to your question, i wouldn't necessarily find that wierd.
  • Options
    the guy sounds pretty creepy to me...
  • Options
    I think id be a bit offended if somebody said that to me lol
  • Options
    luvmeright wrote: »

I think I'd be offended too. Might take pity on the poor boy though, if he's looking to make real friends over the internet then his social life clearly is not a healthy one. Saying that, I'd probably keep it to pm'ing over the forum rather than giving out personal details. I used to use a guitar forum and had loads of weird blokes adding me, purely because I was one of the only girls on there and talking to a girl over the internet was the closest most of them were ever gonna get to the real thing!
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I addded him and we got talking. He then said 'I don't want you to get the wrong idea but I only asked you because you come across as sad and lonely. I added you because I get like that sometimes and thought we could be friends.'

It seems to me that this guy lacks tact and this doesn't strike me on the surface as a great way to initiate a friendship at all. I would definitely say there is some projection going on. But some people do just lack tact (and as otter says there are the usual internet limitations) and often it's worth giving people the benefit of the doubt. I don't think it would be unreasonable to politely say something like "I feel slightly bemused by your message" to give him a chance to explain further. If it all just feels too weird then you wouldn't be in the wrong for ignoring it.
  • Options

Same ! I hope i dont come across as sad and lonely

I don't think you do at all sofie .. i think you seem wise but not sad
  • Options

I was slightly offended but just said 'um, ok', which he was rather surprised about as I didn't react that much or something. (my excuse was that I was talking to someone else)
    It seems to me that this guy lacks tact and this doesn't strike me on the surface as a great way to initiate a friendship at all.

Which is what I thought.
  • Options
    I'd just treat it as another nutcase off the internet.
  • Options
    :lol:
  • Options
    He may have just misunderstood you and is being genuinely nice - but it's up to you how you deal with him at the end of the day.
  • Options
    I have a fair idea what you mean. One person said to me "I wanted to talk to you cos you seem a bit of a freak". Yep, very subtle, that. Another just said "I added you cos I think you're hot, dude". Clearly, there's such a thing as just taking the piss. Anyway, enough about my MSN misfortunes.

I can't see anything particularly wrong here. I think he could have phrased that a little more tactfully, but what's done is done. Just give things a try. You'll soon work out if there's more to him.