Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Reduced food in the supermarket

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm sure I'm not the only one that scours the aisles for reduced stuff at the end of the day.

I had to battle a gaggle of middle aged women in Sainsburys yesterday but managed to get a box of vegetable stir-fry for 20p and fresh chives for 20p. The bakery is always good too, got a box of 30 mini donuts for 35p...not all for me I might add!

Anyone got any tips for bagging reduced price stuff? It must be really good for families or multi people households who can get through loads of food.

Comments

• Options
    katchika wrote: »
    Got a box of 30 mini donuts for 35p...not all for me I might add!

THAT old chestnut! :razz:

Ha.

I usually find Sunday nights are the best for swagging the reduced stuff. :yes:
  • Options
    I love the reduced counter. I buy loads of stuff for the freezer there.
  • Options
    I love the rancid meat counter!
  • Options
    :yum:
    I like to think of it as "extra matured"

They just get the stuff thats going off a bit, and repackage it as "jamie olivers 21 days extra matured beef"
  • Options
    I dont mind reduced bakery stuff. i got a nice cheesy baguette for 5p last night :D and the cakes and donuts are alright (but a health hazard. you feel like you must have it cos they're so cheap) but I wouldnt buy reduced meat or fish. I dont know why, I'm just a bit funny about things like that.

Does anyone buy reduced grocery stuff? Like tins of beans with dents in them, or boxes of cereal that are taped up cos they have a hole in...stuff like that.
  • Options
    About a month ago they had loads of bottles of beer reduced to 30p a bottle! I bought the lot and it didn't last long!
  • Options
    Reduced meat is where it's at!!
  • Options
    I like picking up Tesco Finest stuff when it's reduced, lets me see wether or not it's worth spending a fortune on it, it usually isnt!

I never buy reduced meat or dented stuff.
  • Options
    I like to have a nosey see if theres anything worth having and i sometimes by cakes and things like that from the bakery but id never by meat
  • Options
    The other week I got a load of giant nans for 15p, a tub of organic hummus for 7p, some finest coldslaw for 15p and a pack of spring rolls for 25p. I was soooooo chuffed with myself I bought a stash of nans and put them in the freezer :D I love the bargain shelves
  • Options
    They even have a shop near me called "petes treats" where they sell nothing but out of date stuff and dented tins :yum:
    I have spent many a giro in there in my time!
  • Options
    They even have a shop near me called "petes treats" where they sell nothing but out of date stuff and dented tins :yum:

Haha, we had a shop like that near me, but now they just sell carpets. There's a different business running out of that site ever flippin week. They'll be selling showers this time next week :rolleyes:
  • Options

Is it really actually out of date? I thought that was illegal?!

I buy reduced meat and fish and if I can't use it straight away I freeze it the day I buy it and use it later - Ive never been ill from it. Im sure they put use by dates on things like that well before they actually start to go off.

Dented tins don't tend to be reduced enough to justify buying them and I never use fruit and veg quick enough before it goes off.
  • Options
    diddlybop wrote: »
    Is it really actually out of date? I thought that was illegal?!

Selling something after it's 'Use by' date is illegal

Selling something after it's 'Best before' date isn't, as long as it's marked as such.
  • Options
    its past its use by date. I dont think its illegal if people know what theyre buying
  • Options
    ahh the joys of reduced things when you work in a supermarket and the reduced labels don't scan.. ;) (also invariably i'll get a customer with a whole load of the stuff).

i would buy from a reduced thing if i was going to eat it that day and it was going out of date the next day or something.

and i bought some bottles of water that had fallen out of their packet and been put in a new one - they were half price. :)
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    The other week I got a load of giant nans for 15p

Giant nans!? :shocking:

NANAGEDDON!
  • Options
    I bought some pub burgers the other day that were on sale because they were 2 or 3 days from the date, I thought I was getting a real good deal, but I guess it was only about 25cents off the regular price :\

Besides that, I don't think I've ever seen any sections of almost due foods on cheap, only holiday bakery items or some kosher foods after Hanukkah. I just go for the regular sales. (Especially when cereal is 5 for 10 or something like that and a couple $1 off 2 cupons :p. Beats the hell out of $6 a piece boxes :p) I should look harder, I can eat food quickly!
  • Options
    Couldn't be arsed havinh people looing at me scourinm through the tramp basket. Easiier to but off the normakl shelf. Less hassle
  • Options
    deceelpool wrote: »
    Couldn't be arsed havinh people looing at me scourinm through the tramp basket. Easiier to but off the normakl shelf. Less hassle

Good night? :p
  • Options
    Good night? :p

Indeed , realisn ima lightweihgt after all. :thumb:
  • Options
    deceelpool wrote: »
    Indeed , realisn ima lightweihgt after all. :thumb:

Ha, nice work!
  • Options
    ahh the joys of reduced things when you work in a supermarket and the reduced labels don't scan.. ;) (also invariably i'll get a customer with a whole load of the stuff).
    Very true, and you have to key in all the digits and pretend you don't mind when you just want to get home because it's ten past 8 :banghead:

The 'trick' people seem to employ is to peel the reduced stickers of something, and put them on something (Finest of course) of a similar weight before going through the self service till.
    I remember last year my friend turned up at our house with a crispy aromatic duck and 12 pancakes he got for 10p :)
  • Options
    The 'trick' people seem to employ is to peel the reduced stickers of something, and put them on something (Finest of course) of a similar weight before going through the self service till.

Thanks for the tip
    :)
  • Options
    The best bargain me and my mum ever got was just after Christmas.... because of my Mum and Dad's shifts, we didn't see each other on Christmas Day, so had our Christmas dinner on the 27th. We went shopping for a few final bits that day, and picked up a HUGEEEE jar of cranberry sauce for 1p! We were rather chuffed :D

But yeah, we always scour the reduced shelves. The only thing I wouldn't personally buy is the meat - unless I knew I could freeze it safely, or I was going to eat it that day. So yeah.... I'd pretty much buy everything from the reduced sections :)
  • Options
    And if a hawkeye security guard catches you then you'll be treated as a shoplifter.
  • Options
    15 donuts for 10p at sainsbug's last night. Get in!!
  • Options
    Two salmon fillets: 41p. Get in!!
  • Options
    Dobbin wrote: »
    . Get in!!

Ha!! I did'nt even see that!!
  • Options
    got some spring rolls for 40p and loads of cobs for 10p last night