Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

verified by VISA

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Don't know how many of you have a credit card with the VISA logo on it - but if you do then you may if you've not already want to sign up for the "Verified by VISA" Scheme

I've had it on one of my cards for years and registered for the other card today

It just adds an extra layer of protection from been scammed online

http://www.visaeurope.com/personal/onlineshopping/verifiedbyvisa/howitworks.jsp

http://money.guardian.co.uk/creditanddebt/creditcards/story/0,,2062170,00.html

Mastercard also have a similar scheme

The VISA Scheme asks you to create a password which you need to enter when buying things online in addition to the standard information that is printed on your card .. this should help in instances where someone for instance finds your credit card and uses it to buy something online, for example a Bus or Coach ticket that uses an e-ticket to get onboard

Comments

• Options
    Its starting to become the standard and I believe over the next few months if you use yuor card on line its going to prompt you to set it up as part of the transaction.
  • Options
    I've always been concerned about how easy it would be to steal someones credit card and go online to order loads of stuff and just put in a different delivery address.

Just waiting for all the stories of people who set the password for it to "password" or their name, and then seem shocked that they've been a victim of fraud!

Good idea though, long over due.

I especially like how it uses a pre setup phrase to assure you its the legitimate site requesting your password
  • Options
    You don't even have to put in a different address - although I know Play.com allowed me to enter my credit card details but have an SD Card shipped to my Uncle's house - which was useful cos he has a digital camera but no computer at home and not allowed to go on the net at work.

But really nothing to stop you ordering to the real address and just waiting out side the house first thing in the morning for the delivery man to come and sign for it.

In fact if you order from a lot of the TV sale channels they don't even wait for a signature they just drop the stuff at the door and leave

I never did understand that nonsense about the 3 digits on the back of the card - can't see why those 3 extra digits made the card any more secure .. I think the password is a good idea but with Barclay Card they ask for like the 2nd letter and 5th letter of the password instead of the entire thing.

And you use a pull down menu of letters A to Z to enter them - perhaps to stop key loggers.

I know with Halifax Credit Card you just enter the complete thing.