Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

You guys will know how to find this!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm writing an essay on terrorism and I'm interested to find some facts/figures on how often the word terrorism/terrorist has been used in the media/political speeches since 9/11. Even if it's just one speech by Bush/Blair, how often is the word used nowadays? I've done a search on google but it keeps coming up with totally irrelevant stuff....

Comments

• Options
    Wow! That would be a hard one to just pluck out of the Internet - especially if noone has done the leg work and actually done all the counting for you.

I would say (off the cuff) the word is used in every speech by Bush and every two by Blair .. but that is a completely uneducated waste-of-time guess ...
  • Options
    There was an excellent video compilation of the 2004 Republican Party campaign showing the number of times Bush, Rumsfeld and co had said the words 'terrorist', 'terrorism', 'Saddam' and 'bin Laden' during the campaign. It amounted to hundreds of times. I'll try to dig it up for you.
  • Options
    Bah! I should have know Aladdin would have known ... ;)
  • Options
    It's a synonym for 'evil', 'bad person' or anything else these days.

If you put the word 'terrorist' in a speech then you're guaranteed that it'll have an impact. It's use to tap into people's inherent paranoia about some intangible bogey man coming to get you.
  • Options
    It's a synonym for 'evil', 'bad person' or anything else these days.

If you put the word 'terrorist' in a speech then you're guaranteed that it'll have an impact. It's use to tap into people's inherent paranoia about some intangible bogey man coming to get you.
    Mind you, the chimp and his British poodle are overusing it to such extent that even those who believe in such thing as 'the war on terror' are becoming immune to the word.

It doesn't help Bush's cause either that he cannot even pronounce the word properly and makes you chuckle every time he utters it :D
  • Options
    You could of course search the Hansard record, granted thats only that Blair says in the Commons, but it would be easy to search.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    There was an excellent video compilation of the 2004 Republican Party campaign showing the number of times Bush, Rumsfeld and co had said the words 'terrorist', 'terrorism', 'Saddam' and 'bin Laden' during the campaign. It amounted to hundreds of times. I'll try to dig it up for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsZ_Ep2HZiI
  • Options
    you want something like a... "corpus"... for example www.natcorp.ox.ac.uk except you want one for speeches... i think in the natcorp, which is of britain, there are a few political speeches, but i dont know how recent it runs.