Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Are we sure we have jailed the right people here?

A civil servant and an MP's researcher were today jailed for leaking a secret memo about a meeting on Iraq between Tony Blair and George Bush.
David Keogh, 50, who worked in Whitehall's communications centre, was jailed for six months at the Old Bailey for breaching the Official Secrets Act.

The researcher to whom he gave the memo, Leo O'Connor, was jailed for three months on a similar charge for passing the document to his employer, the anti-war Labour MP for Northampton South, Anthony Clarke.

The four-page memo recorded April 2004 Oval Office talks between the two leaders on events in the city of Falluja. Its contents were so secret that much of the trial was held behind closed doors with the press and public excluded. [...]

Keogh was said to have described the contents as "abhorrent" and "illegal". According to O'Connor's statements to police, Keogh believed the memo exposed the US president as a "madman". [...]

The prosecution admitted the leak did not contain any "actual damage", though it could have put British lives at risk.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/crime/article/0,,2076477,00.html

What a wonderful world we live in eh? One in which two statesmen break international law, illegally attack and invade other nations causing the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people and yet remain unaccountable for their crimes while the people who try to leak the details of their abhorrent actions to the public are jailed for their troubles.

You have to laugh, really... :rolleyes:
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    And we can fully trust him on the contents of the memo?

Oh, and the war wasnt illegal - not in any meaningful way anyway.
  • Options
    I think the memo is pretty explosive, yes. They won't even show it to the press and the only reason it might 'endanger British lives' is because of the uproar the disclosure of the contents would create- which again leads me to believe some pretty atrocious things were said and done.

As for the legality of the war, the way I understand it it was illegal even before it became clear the world had been misled and lied to regarding WMDs and links to terrorism. After it became clear the US and Britain had misled and lied to the entire world, the war is as illegal as it can get: namely an unprovoked and completely unjustified attack on a sovereign nation that has cost the lives of hundreds of thousands and made the lives of millions more a living hell of indescribable proportions.
  • Options
    the Official Secrets Act is there for a reason, its not something people should be able to pick and chose if to keep to, at the end of the day they broke the law and have to deal with the punishment given to them
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    I think the memo is pretty explosive, yes. They won't even show it to the press and the only reason it might 'endanger British lives' is because of the uproar the disclosure of the contents would create- which again leads me to believe some pretty atrocious things were said and done.

You think, but you dont know - it could really have anything in it. Having said that though I'd agree with you that some fairly nasty things have been said and done.
    As for the legality of the war, the way I understand it it was illegal even before it became clear the world had been misled and lied to regarding WMDs and links to terrorism. After it became clear the US and Britain had misled and lied to the entire world, the war is as illegal as it can get: namely an unprovoked and completely unjustified attack on a sovereign nation that has cost the lives of hundreds of thousands and made the lives of millions more a living hell of indescribable proportions.

What specific law? Where? And far more importantly who is going to do anything about it? I said the war isnt illegal in any 'meaningful way' for a good reason, in that its gone ahead and no one is going to do anything about it. Even if you can point to a specific law it means nothing.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    What specific law? Where? And far more importantly who is going to do anything about it? I said the war isnt illegal in any 'meaningful way' for a good reason, in that its gone ahead and no one is going to do anything about it. Even if you can point to a specific law it means nothing.
    That didn't stop the US and Britain attacking Saddam for his "crimes" against the Kurds and others.

Am I correct to say then that it is impossible for a head of state to do anything illegal so long as he claims to do it in the interests of his country?

If we can send Milosevic to The Hague for war crimes, then sure as hell we can send Blair and Bush. From the legal point of view at least, I know it would never happen in practice.
  • Options
    That didn't stop the US and Britain attacking Saddam for his "crimes" against the Kurds and others.

Am I correct to say then that it is impossible for a head of state to do anything illegal so long as he claims to do it in the interests of his country?

If we can send Milosevic to The Hague for war crimes, then sure as hell we can send Blair and Bush. From the legal point of view at least, I know it would never happen in practice.

Of course it didnt stop them using it as an excuse, international law has always been for the West to use rather than abide by.

I am inclined to agree with you, given the stipulations Blair made before the war it certainly has a dodgy legal footing (the legal case for the war seems to be one side of A4 knocked up at the last minute). But thats not the point - it being 'illegal' doesnt get anyone anywhere - nothing will come of it so its a moot point.
  • Options
    From the moral point of view it is not irrelevant though.

And also from these two chaps' point of view, who must be thinking they broke the law for a good cause and got jailed for it while the people they were blowing the whistle on did far worse acts and they won't even face trial.
  • Options
    From the moral point of view it is not irrelevant though.

Moral point? Yeah I suppose so, I've given up getting angry when governments do unethical things it wasnt good for my heart.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    To the thread title's question:

No, of course not!
  • Options
    To the thread title's question:

No, of course not!

why? they broke the law
  • Options
    Territt wrote: »
    why? they broke the law
    Of course they did, but I replied from a moral standing instead of a legal one.
  • Options
    why? they broke the law
    In trying to unmask some of the actions of two people whose crimes are a thousand trillion times worse than leaking a memo.

You think they deserve jail for that?

What about the people the memo referred to?
  • Options
    Of course they did, but I replied from a moral standing instead of a legal one.

Morally they should have been shot. We used to call it treason. Now it seems that putting the lives of British soldiers at risk is defensible.
  • Options

Done ? Certainly. Many people murdered. The alleged use of white phosphorus (admitted) and napalm (denied). ( And don`t you love the name : Operation Vigilant Resolve)

Said ? Speculation of more attempted murder (that "good old Tony" managed to avert !) that appears to be true if the reaction of those feeling threatened is anything to go by.

Interesting that Blair threatened to jail any editor who printed the contents back in 2004.

Is that a subtle difference to Bush who (allegedly) wanted to bomb the news editors who were reporting things that he felt threatened by ?

D-notices are as powerful a weapon as "The Official Secrets Act" when parasitical tyrants/politicians( delete as appropriate) feel threatened by the truth. ( The one from this weekend managed to suppress an amusing story about BP executives and John Reid).

"National Security" indeed :lol:
  • Options
    Morally they should have been shot. We used to call it treason. Now it seems that putting the lives of British soldiers at risk is defensible.
    The lives of British soldiers wouldn't be at risk if the war hadn't happened. The ones who passed a note weren't the ones who put them at risk at all.
    And in any case, I think it's one of the most morally wrong things you can do, no matter who you are, to hide something from people it concerns.
  • Options
    The lives of British soldiers wouldn't be at risk if the war hadn't happened. The ones who passed a note weren't the ones who put them at risk at all.
    And in any case, I think it's one of the most morally wrong things you can do, no matter who you are, to hide something from people it concerns.

Maybe the war shouldn’t have happened, i personal think it was needed, but anyways i thought this thread was about what the civil servant and the MP's researcher has done, which was wrong, people in that position have no right to decide as and when they fancy keeping to the Official Secrets Act.

I think they should have gone down for longer
  • Options
    Interesting that you say this.

If that constitutes treason, what do you call actually causing the deaths of hundreds of British soldiers for no valid reason and under false pretenses? And what should we do to the man who did it?
  • Options
    Maybe the war shouldn’t have happened, i personal think it was needed, but anyways i thought this thread was about what the civil servant and the MP's researcher has done, which was wrong, people in that position have no right to decide as and when they fancy keeping to the Official Secrets Act.

I think they should have gone down for longer
    Nice.

How long should Blair go down for?
  • Options
    Nice.

How long should Blair go down for?

see, you just cant admit that those two guys where wrong, and does this really have to be turned into an iraq thread again?
  • Options
    Because it's all about Iraq.

Because what these guys were doing was trying to unmask wrongdoing by a pair of blood-soaked lying warmongers.

And because their actions should be seen as whistleblowing, not "treason".

Imagine the following hypothetical situation: instead of covering certain actions commited during the war on Iraq, which some people might actually see as legitimate, the leaked document was a transcription of a private conversation between Bush and Blair in which they both said how they enjoyed travelling to Asia and having sex with minors.

Would you still believe the civil servants should have adhered to the Official Secrets Act law if that had been the case, or would you have defended their leaking of the document?
  • Options
    Or the hpothetical situation in which a crown servant decided to leak information which may be of use to the crown's enemies, because he has set himself above the law.

Ooops that's what happened.
  • Options
    whilst at the same time soldiers who have shot dead civilians, and the police have escaped any real conviction for shotting dead a man and leaking blatant lies to the press soon after which most people still seem to believe
  • Options
    Because it's all about Iraq.

Because what these guys were doing was trying to unmask wrongdoing by a pair of blood-soaked lying warmongers.

And because their actions should be seen as whistleblowing, not "treason".

Imagine the following hypothetical situation: instead of covering certain actions commited during the war on Iraq, which some people might actually see as legitimate, the leaked document was a transcription of a private conversation between Bush and Blair in which they both said how they enjoyed travelling to Asia and having sex with minors.

Would you still believe the civil servants should have adhered to the Official Secrets Act law if that had been the case, or would you have defended their leaking of the document?

i believe that no man has no right to brake the Official Secrets Act, and that they are being punished for it, nothing more nothing less,

they shouldn’t get any these of a punishment because of what the document contained,
  • Options
    So on principle you wouldn't actually want anyone to reveal a terrible and appalling crime a member of government had committed and admitted to if it meant breaking the Official Secrets Act? No matter how horrible the crime? Even if it had cost British lives?

Bloody hell! Can I be Prime Minister? Sounds like the perfect job! :)
  • Options
    Or the hpothetical situation in which a crown servant decided to leak information which may be of use to the crown's enemies, because he has set himself above the law.

Ooops that's what happened.
    Did you see my earlier question? If you think what those men did constitute treason, how do you describe sending hundreds of soldiers to their deaths for no good reason whatsoever?
  • Options
    So on principle you wouldn't actually want anyone to reveal a terrible and appalling crime a member of government had committed and admitted to if it meant breaking the Official Secrets Act? No matter how horrible the crime? Even if it had cost British lives?

Bloody hell! Can I be Prime Minister? Sounds like the perfect job! :)

I think allowing anyone to break the Official Secrets Act and not being punished sets a bad example.

it would lead to anyone that brakes it using the excuses that they thought it was in the publics interest,
  • Options
    Surely a judge/jury could decide whether it was in the national interests or not on a case-by-case basis?

I find the principle of a government being able to do anything it wants and then be protected from disclosure by a piece of legislation under the vague and completely subjective claims of 'national security', no matter how serious the actions might have been, deeply fucking disturbing and at odds with the principle of accountable governments and democracies.

That is a lot more serious and a far more dangerous slippery slope towards an Orwellian state than ID cards or CCTV cameras could ever be, for instance. I would have expected anyone who is uncomfortable with those two would be far more worried about the government having immunity against wrongdoing by claiming even talking about it would be against the 'national interest'.
  • Options
    Surely a judge/jury could decide whether it was in the national interests or not on a case-by-case basis?

but what was in the document cant be used in a court,
  • Options
    Did you see my earlier question? If you think what those men did constitute treason, how do you describe sending hundreds of soldiers to their deaths for no good reason whatsoever?

Their job?

Determine "no good reason whatsoever"...

Yes these men should have been sent down, the law is there and they broke it. Knowingly broke it. Whether Blair should go for war crimes is irrelevant in this regard.
  • Options
    but what was in the document cant be used in a court,
    Actually it was used in court and a few people (judge, solicitors and prosecutors at the very least) were simply sworn to secrecy about it.