Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is she too young for me?

This thread is about a developing situation at the moment.

Most of the guys that I work with are taken. One evening, a group of us were getting rather drunk in the bar, (the hangover the next day was horrendous, incidentally) and they were all talking about their girlfriends. Not in any crude way, though some of the banter was slightly sexual. One of the guys asked me about my girlfriend. I'm a single man, so I told them that. A group of them said "don't worry, Danny, we're going to find you a girlfriend.". It's one of few parts of the night I can remember. I assumed they were joking, of course, that it was the drink talking.

Not so. They've taken it literally. They've looked around the park for eligible young women, and have found someone that they claim would be a very good match for me. Now, I've known the girl in question for two years now, ever since I started working at the park. She's a wonderful woman who's been through far too much in her short life. It's safe to say I've got to like her during that time. However, before all this came about, I'd never thought of her as anything other than a friend. Apparently, she's quite keen on being more than mates with me.

I normally would be as well. Except just one potential problem. She's only 17. When I raise this with the guys, they say "it's not a problem at all". And indeed, on one level, I'm inclined to agree. Last year, my (now ex) girlfriend was 18 and I was 21, and it worked pretty well. But now there's a five-year age gap.

Is that too much at this young age? What are your opinions?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Take it slowly - don't call her your girlfriend, don't call yourselves anything. Take things slowly to the next level, see how you get on when you go on a date but don't make promises. You'll then get to know if you're campatible at this time in your lives. Lots of girls mature quite fast.
  • Options
    No, that's not too young at all. Plenty of people go out with people with that sort of age gap. And I've gotta say, I disagree with Vicky (although in general I do what she said, myself). I'd say just do what you would normally do. If it doesn't work out because of it, then at least you've been honest. If you want different things, there's no point pretending you don't. But that's in the future, you've got to go out with her first.
  • Options
    No that's alrite. I've done worse ffs.
  • Options
    My mate met up with a girl he thought was 18 the other day (he's 23). Reasonably, according to him and a few other friends who've seen her myspace pics too. He didn't do anything, but he said she was quite forward, touching him and flirting and stuff. Later on MSN, she goes "Actually, I lied, I'm only 16." Okaaaaaaayyyy, so d'you not think I'm a bit old for you? "Well actually, I'm only 15." Come on, you're not really 15 are you? "No, I'm 14." Wouldn't you just shit yourself if you'd done anything?
  • Options
    You think too much sg, just go with the flow mate!

ETA:
    Well actually, I'm only 15." Come on, you're not really 15 are you? "No, I'm 14." Wouldn't you just shit yourself if you'd done anything?
    This just reminded me of family guys take on chat shows..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raImnLI0KCo
  • Options
    My mate met up with a girl he thought was 18 the other day (he's 23). Reasonably, according to him and a few other friends who've seen her myspace pics too. He didn't do anything, but he said she was quite forward, touching him and flirting and stuff. Later on MSN, she goes "Actually, I lied, I'm only 16." Okaaaaaaayyyy, so d'you not think I'm a bit old for you? "Well actually, I'm only 15." Come on, you're not really 15 are you? "No, I'm 14." Wouldn't you just shit yourself if you'd done anything?

That is really fucking scary.
  • Options
    No, that's not too young at all. Plenty of people go out with people with that sort of age gap. And I've gotta say, I disagree with Vicky (although in general I do what she said, myself). I'd say just do what you would normally do. If it doesn't work out because of it, then at least you've been honest. If you want different things, there's no point pretending you don't. But that's in the future, you've got to go out with her first.

I don't think she's too young :confused: Just sense his anxieties that he does.
    Christ at 16 I'd moved out of my mum's and was living with my 30yr old bf....but that's a whole new different story! :)
  • Options
    I don't think she's too young. However, I personally wouldn't go out with someone with that kind of age gap.
  • Options
    theres a 7 year gap between me and my boyfriend we dont think theres a problem at all and nobody around us has a problem with it and both of our parents are fine with it. But to be honest if they did have a problem they would just have to get over it aslong as you too are happy together then theres no problem
  • Options
    There's 5 years between me and my GF. Im 26 and she is 21. She's more mature than me though!

I used to go out with a girl about 4 years ago who was 17/18 when I was 22. It caused a lot of problems as we wanted different things....as long as you want the same things, it'll be fine, but what you have to realise is that she may want to get into anything too serious as she's only young.....make sure you make things clear as to what you want out of this relationship.
  • Options
    I think you should go for it and take it slowly like Vicky said. Having read your previous posts I think you are likely to date her for the right reasons, because you like her and she is good company and not just to have someone to fill a gap.

Have fun and good luck.
  • Options
    In complete agreement with the other posters - if you like her... give it a go!

When I was 17 I was seeing a 24 year old... we got on fantastically!

My husband is 13 years older than me and we started seeing each other when I was 18... that was an interesting one actually... he asked me out for dinner and over our meal we started talking about ages - we had known each other about 4 months as he was/is my Kung Fu Instructor :naughty: but didn't actually know how old we both were...

We tried to guess each others ages;

I reckoned he was about 27 and he thought I was about 22 - turned out I was 18 and he was 31... the age gap jumped from 5 years to 13 in the blink of an eye :)

The age gap only becomes a problem if you let it...

Good luck and let us know how you get on!!!
  • Options
    There's a 10 year gap between me and my boyfriend and we don't notice it at all - I'm quite mature for my age and he likes to goof around sometimes, so it all works out!

It sounds like you know you'd get on well but you're just worried about what people will think of the age difference; at the end of the day, 5 years isn't much and if she's been through a lot then she's likely to be quite mature anyway. Give it a go; it might be well worth it!
  • Options
    im seventeen and im kinda seeing someone whose 22 and had experiences with literally men rather than boys .. but i suppose its different for different situations obviously

see how it goes take it easy for bit read of her reactions

gd luck
  • Options
    luvmeright wrote: »
    theres a 7 year gap between me and my boyfriend we dont think theres a problem at all and nobody around us has a problem with it and both of our parents are fine with it. But to be honest if they did have a problem they would just have to get over it aslong as you too are happy together then theres no problem

Exactly the same as me. Because his personality is younger than his years, and mine is older, we work absolutely fine. No-one has an issue about it, it gets the occaisional joke about in the pub but no-one takes it seriously as we're so happy together :)
  • Options
    Nah it's absolutely fine. Current fella is 4 years older than me. But I've been out with people 13 years older than me, 10 years older than me and 8 years older than me. Age gaps are only a problem if you let them be and women do mature at a younger age to men.
  • Options
    persnality match is much more important than an age gap, and if you could be good together and you both like each other, then it would be a crying shame to not even try because of the sake of a number.
  • Options
    persnality match is much more important than an age gap, and if you could be good together and you both like each other, then it would be a crying shame to not even try because of the sake of a number.

:yes:

I think age gap is only an issue if you make it out to be one.
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »

I think age gap is only an issue if you make it out to be one.
  • Options
    Although that kind of age gap is acceptable when you get older, girls around that age can be way immature.

Obviously that's in general, and not all girls that age are immature. Ultimately, give it a go. If you like someone, never ever stop yourself from going out with someone without at least giving it a try.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    I don't think its an issue at all, but it depends on her and how mature she is for her age

when I was 17; I was dating someone who was 36.. and now... well, there's a 28 year difference (and have never fancied anyone so much in my life) - so I might be a little biased :o

28 years :eek:
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    It's only a problem if you make it one, tbh. If you get on with each other and you seem to match personalities then there is no problem. Five years is nothing. Aren't men meant to be behind by about 5 years in maturity levels? :p
  • Options
    Lacy wrote: »
    28 years :eek:

Lol yeah, that's a bit too much of an age gap for me...although I suppose it's not doing anyone any harm.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote: »
    It's between he and I, not he, I and everyone else :D

I'm not ashamed of it.... in fact I'm more proud to be seen out with him rather than anyone else I've ever been with :heart:

Lol each to their own. I had a slight crush on someone 19 years older than me recently :blush:
  • Options
    When I was 4 My girlfriend was 110.

Beat that bitches.
  • Options
    When I was 4 My girlfriend was 110.

Beat that bitches.

They weren't talking IQ's :p
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »

:lol:
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    :lol:
  • Options
    Lol Sorry Harvey mate, but you just got rinsed.
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    Lol Sorry Harvey mate, but you just got rinsed.

Rinsed lol.

110 is still pretty dumb though!!