Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Direct bank trasnferCheque issue

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Basically I won an auction on ebay for a new phone and the seller only accepts cheques or direct bank transfers. I chose to do a direct bank transfer as I don't actually have a cheque book at the moment. Everything on my end was fine and the money was sent out but I checked today to find the money had been returned. I phoned the bank and they said I had done nothing wrong, the details for his account were correct ( asked him to double check) and for some unknown reason his bank had sent the payment back to me. I have asked him to ring his bank and ask why it didn't go through.

The seller is now asking me to send a cheque but I don't see the point (even if I had a cheque book atm) seeing as his bank is refusing payments, wouldn't it just do the same thing as it did with the direct bank transfer and not go through?

Anyone had this problem before?

Cheers:)

PS: Sorry about the thread title, can't edit it.

Comments

• Options
    That's really weird. To be honest though they're unlikely to return a cheque- maybe the seller's bank was refusing the transfer for security? It's all I can think of. Maybe you could go into a branch of the seller's bank and pay the money in over the counter? All you need is the account number and sort code, which I assume you must already have.
  • Options
    Taking the money to the bank sounds like a plan, though can they provide me with a letter or receipt so I can prove I payed the money in to their account?
  • Options
    this sounds like a scam to me
  • Options
    It is the first thing he has sold on ebay but he does have a 100% positive buy rating (got 6 in all). I can't stand ebay feel like wriggling my way out of it now and just getting the phone on contract with O2.

Can't do that though can you? I mean it's not my fault I did everything I could and just sticking cash into his account is a bit dodgey for me.
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    this sounds like a scam to me

:yes: I agree.

Sending a cheque is the most risky way you could send payment.
  • Options
    Honestly I would just wait now. I wouldn't be surprised if the money that was "returned" to your account suddenly disappears again. I'd wait at least a week before making any next move. Fob him off for a bit.
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    Honestly I would just wait now. I wouldn't be surprised if the money that was "returned" to your account suddenly disappears again. I'd wait at least a week before making any next move. Fob him off for a bit.

Well when I called the bank earlier they said the money had just bounced back to me basically so the money shouldn't be able to leave my account unless I send the payment through again should it? I've already waited a week and I need the phone as my old one has died as well. If I contact ebay can I pull out of the auction saying i've tried to pay and it didnt work?