Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Pill and weight

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Since i've been on the pill i've put on a stone in weight. I'm really unhappy and i'm hungry all the time. Even though i eat a filling breakfast and don't skip anything. Its starting to creep on even more now. I'm going to the gym once a week (all i have time for atm until my exams are over) and i go dancing every week. I do alot of walking too but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Would it be a good idea to go back to the doctors? Are there other contraceptive/period pain controlling methods that are less likely to make you eat like a horse/put on weight?

Comments

• Options
    I'd talk to your doctor about it tbh. They might want to check your thyroid is working correctly and stuff as well, just incase it's a coinsidence that the weight-gain has been since starting the pill but is actually caused by something else.
  • Options
    I've been on it for just over a year. I don't snack on really unhealthy stuff, i try to take healthy snacks to school as much as i can - depending whats available. I just seem to eat like a horse! I'm not too stressed about my exams, and when i'm stressed i go off food. I don't think they'll put me on the mini pill because i'm young and they said young girls tend to forget to take it quite alot. Which i probably will unless i stick a memo to myself.
  • Options
    I'm 17 and i use it for contraception (although i use condoms aswell because i'm so paranoid!) and for controlling my awful periods. I don't get them anymore due to it being a light pill.
  • Options
    i think the cilest pill is a mini pill wqith a 12 hour time frame for taking it.
  • Options
    When I went on the pill I found weight crept on but I really think having a boyfriend was the bigger factor, I find my diet is really impacted by what he eats and although I try to be healthy its not easy when your partner eats like a horse and puts absolutely no weight on! I am now trying to exercise daily to keep my weight at a healthy level.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    i think the cilest pill is a mini pill wqith a 12 hour time frame for taking it.

does it vary with the mini pills? I could manage 12 hours because if i forget in the morning i'll take it when i get home. I thought the minis were 4 hours?
  • Options
    hmmn, my mistake, the cilest seems to actually be a combined pill not a mini pill, but diff pills do have diff windows of safety so you are best off going and asking at the family planning or your docs if there is a diff one you could change to. the worst thing they can say is no...
  • Options
    Cerazette is a mini pill with a 12 hour window for taking it.
  • Options
    think of trying a different form of contraception instead like the injection perhaps if its for contraception to help your periods?!
  • Options
    Cerazette is a mini pill with a 12 hour window for taking it.

that's the badger!
  • Options
    It's worth going back, because different people respond differently to different pills so you may find another has no effect on your appetite.

Cerazette is indeed a mini pill with the same time window as combined pills, in lots of people it stops periods altogether, although in some if makes them very irregular or leads to lots of spotting so with that one it's a case of are you willing to suck it and see. Worked a treat for me and had far less effect on my weight but I didn't like not having periods.
  • Options
    It's worth going back, because different people respond differently to different pills so you may find another has no effect on your appetite.

Cerazette is indeed a mini pill with the same time window as combined pills, in lots of people it stops periods altogether, although in some if makes them very irregular or leads to lots of spotting so with that one it's a case of are you willing to suck it and see. Worked a treat for me and had far less effect on my weight but I didn't like not having periods.

I agree. I'm on Cerazette now, and my periods are way irregular. I'll go ages without having one, then have one that lasts almost 3 weeks, something like that.
  • Options
    I noticed i put a bit of weight on when i first went on the pill but it was probably that and also i had just got with my boyfriend and was eating different things so it was probably a mixture of the two. but it seems to have settled now i think my body has got use to it as ive been on it 8 months. But im thinkin of going on the injection now but i dont want too incase i put on even more weight
  • Options
    Well i don't have periods anymore anyway now i'm on the combined pill. I get the cramps when i start my break but nothing else. I'll go back anyway and see what they give me.
  • Options
    You don't get periods even though you take a break? Is that common? I always thought you had to run the packs on the be period free!
  • Options
    I started the pill 3 months ago and I've put on a bit of weight, but I think that was because I'm getting more relaxed with my eating with my boyfriend. But I'm watching it now and thinking of changing from microgynon because its ust not agreeing with me anymore.