Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is it illigal to serve snakebite?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It is not illegal. I never have any problems getting served it in some pubs, they make it half lager, half cider and a tiny bit of blackcurrent cordial.
    There is another, smaller pub that I go to, and when I asked the land lady about Snakebite, she said it's not illegal, but she wouldn't serve it to me and my mates because it would make us too rowdy. lol

No one has ever asked for it at the bar where I work, although if they did then yeah, I'd serve it. No one has ever told me that I can't so fuck it.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    No, because you're only using one alcoholic drink, and the person buying the shandy will decide how much of a ratio alcohol/lemonade there will be.

But the law clearly states that lager must be served in multiples of half pints. So when that "half pint" in the shandy isn't measured seperately, it's just as "illegal" as snakebite.

Oh and I find the idea that a pint of snakebite is any more potent than a pint of each drink individually rather stupid. Two pints of snakebite are no different from having a pint of lager, then a pint of cider. I served loads of them the other night, and to a football teams end of season night out as well, and they couldn't have been more civil.
  • Options
    Dinted wrote: »
    I heard its the cordial in it that makes it potent.

I remember years ago getting a snake bite and black and the guy was a bit stingy with the black currant and asking for a bit more - he asked for an extra 40p - WTF .. :eek2:
  • Options
    I remember years ago getting a snake bite and black and the guy was a bit stingy with the black currant and asking for a bit more - he asked for an extra 40p - WTF .. :eek2:

Now I'm pretty sure that is illegal. Trading standards laws state that a customer is allowed to ask for anything served in a pint glass to be topped up, and the person serving must do so with good grace (in their words, not mine). It's generally to stop pints with massive heads, but only applies to glasses with a brim measure rather than a line measure. But 40p for a bit of blackcurrent? What a fucking ripoff.
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    There is another, smaller pub that I go to, and when I asked the land lady about Snakebite, she said it's not illegal, but she wouldn't serve it to me and my mates because it would make us too rowdy. lol

pffft, hope they don't serve pints of stella!

the idea of it being illegal is pretty daft imo
  • Options
    I have only ever drunk snakebite properly once at a primal scream gig at Brixton academy which they were fine with selling there...

I got battered that night and was wearing a white top... which was half pink the next day from spillage! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    z- wrote: »
    pffft, hope they don't serve pints of stella!

the idea of it being illegal is pretty daft imo

It is to anyone with half a brain. Unfortunately, in this world we have people who are known as jobsworths and feel the need to follow every rule to the letter no matter what the original intention of it was.