Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What are your views on marriage?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yes and no. Long term cohabiting couples (and I know a few) can be good for raising kids etc but if you split up in can be difficult. I'm bit torn having been aware of my parents marriage (why they still are married I have no idea why) for as long as I can remember.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    I dont think it is the actual marriage which keeps married people together for longer, its just the sort of people who get married compared to those who dont.

I agree with this. A marriage isn't the glue that ties people together.

Taking my country as an example. Statistically we put the least emphasize on marriage (measured in how many children are born prior to marriage). It's very common for people to get married two or so children down just to seal the deal for relatives and sort of make it official. They're not getting any more commited (I'd say children are a far bigger commitment than marriage vows anyway ;)).

I'm fairly sure that if I ever get married it'll be for that reason. I don't really care for the institution and would be comfy living my life cohabiting if there were no children involved.

My parents have been married since shortly after my oldest brother was born. They're not together still because they're married, they're together because they care for each other, had three kids and are now just as insane when it comes to playing golf on the weekends.
  • Options
    I would only marry for convenience (e.g. marry a lovely gay man in Australia so I could live and work there and his side of the bargain means his parents don't find out lollololol)... Marriage ain't for me, it's a bind.
  • Options
    I'm back to my old views because I'm single. I think it's outdated in the sense of you need a piece of paper to keep you guys together? However, it does have some legal benefits and makes the government's job easier.

I don't ever want to get married, so that influences it. At one point when I was in a relationship, I did so maybe I'll feel different when I start dating again.
  • Options
    i think marriage is for when your ready in you realtionship. I wouldnt totally dismiss it just because you broke up....its the last thing on ur mind yes but it doesnt mean you wont meet the right person in the furture, anyway it takes a lot of time to get to the marriage stage.

it is just a piece of paper but it should mean more to the couple getting married.