Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Child maintenence

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Can anybody tell me for sure, when one of your parents pays child maintenance to the other, do they begin in advance e.g would contribute February's sum in the month of January?

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    I am almost certain mine are paid in arears so january's payment would be recieved by me at the begining of feb, though mine is supposed to arrive weekly. The helpline number for general enquiries is on this page http://csa.gov.uk/new/contact/helpline.asp
  • Options
    I work in a payroll dept and when we take it out of someone's wages - which are paid on the last working day of the month - we then have to forward the cheque to the CSA by the 5th of the following month. So assume by the time the cheque is cashed by the CSA, and they then forward the payment on, it'll be about the middle of the next month... making it definitely in arrears.

(I know it's not always the same amount that gets forwarded on to the other parent, but I guess the cheque arriving is confirmation the contribution has been made)