Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

natwest Bank

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, I'm really losing my patience with these people so I was wondering if anyone can help me with this long-standing problem.

Basically, back in 2000/01 I was at uni and I had a student account which become overdrawn by about £150 over the overdraft limit. Natwest had advised me to take out a £1,500 loan, which at the time, as I was a bit silly and naive about handling money and that, I took out. I got into debt with this loan then in 2002/3 I requested a settlement figure to pay this debt off. I payed this off, closed the student and loan account and got a basic account. Now my card expired in April (last month) and they won't issue me another card because there is a "marker" on my details that basically shows that I still owe this debt (even though I payed them).

Ok, so I rang Natwest, (I have rang them loads of times over the years,) and debt recovery basically says that its nothing to do with the them and the store says it has nothing to do with them. All they need to do in my opinion is take off this marker thing, and issue me a new card, but nothing is being done.

They say that they will call me back today, I haven't had a call back even though the assistant I spoke to says "we are very efficient and will get back to you...:grump:

Just wondering what I should do next. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    chan-chan wrote: »
    Ok, I'm really losing my patience with these people so I was wondering if anyone can help me with this long-standing problem.

Basically, back in 2000/01 I was at uni and I had a student account which become overdrawn by about £150 over the overdraft limit. Natwest had advised me to take out a £1,500 loan, which at the time, as I was a bit silly and naive about handling money and that, I took out. I got into debt with this loan then in 2002/3 I requested a settlement figure to pay this debt off. I payed this off, closed the student and loan account and got a basic account. Now my card expired in April (last month) and they won't issue me another card because there is a "marker" on my details that basically shows that I still owe this debt (even though I payed them).

Ok, so I rang Natwest, (I have rang them loads of times over the years,) and debt recovery basically says that its nothing to do with the them and the store says it has nothing to do with them. All they need to do in my opinion is take off this marker thing, and issue me a new card, but nothing is being done.

They say that they will call me back today, I haven't had a call back even though the assistant I spoke to says "we are very efficient and will get back to you...:grump:

Just wondering what I should do next. Thanks.

Move banks.
  • Options
    Cant move banks because of the marker - it shows i am in debt.
  • Options
    get copies of your credit references, and see where the problem lies.

the reports generally give instructions on what to do next, but basically, under the terms of the Data Protection Act, they have to correct the information if it is wrong. you may need all the documentation from when you paid the loan off.

there's some info at http://www.thesite.org.uk/homelawandmoney/money/creditanddebt/boostyourcreditrating
    there may be more stuff elsewhere. I think you just missed GWST doing a Q&A
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote: »
    get copies of your credit references, and see where the problem lies.

the reports generally give instructions on what to do next, but basically, under the terms of the Data Protection Act, they have to correct the information if it is wrong.

Yep. Find out where the problem is. If its a mistake on their part advise them if they do not correct their details you will sue the cunts.

Then move banks..

:thumb:
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanks guys for the advice.

GWST: I have a basic account with abbey - with a cash card so that i can access money. Thanks for the links.

Big Gay: Thanks, i'll get all the information dating back to when this all happened and i have checked the links, thank you.