Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Smacking your kids Agree?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do you agree with smacking kids that are misbehaving?

Does it work or does it affect the child mentally/physically when they grow up and interact in the adult world

Comments

• Options
    In my own opinion i agree with smacking children if they are misbehaing aslong as you dont use unnessassary force. As a child when i was naughty my mum and dad use to smack my hands or the back of my legs they did it hard enough that it wud sting but not really hard and it never caused me any problems and i know think that because of that ive turned in to a polite well manored person unlike the mouthy chavs you see and hear of now who go round muggin people and smacking their own parents
  • Options
    Haven't we had this before?

Anyway, I don't agree with smacking and would use a different form of appropriate punishment instead.

Smacking never did me any harm. However, there is a difference between a tap on the hand and a smack, imo.
  • Options
    Yep sometimes they need to be kept in check if my kid was playing up really badly a gentle tap might sort them out
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Haven't we had this before?

:yes:

Several times...
  • Options
    First I try taking away something (like my daughters stereo - she loves music so it is a punishment), that teamed with grounding usually is enough. Sometimes just the threat "Do that again and you loose your stereo/get grounded" is enough :thumb:

I don't not agree with smacking, but I prefer to use other punishments. The only time my daughter gets "a smack" (that being on her bottom, and never hard enough to leave a mark) is when she has done something SERIOUSLY wrong/dangerous and it needs to be an immediate punishment (I'm talking about messing in the kitchen near the hob/oven and causing an accident or something to be broken). In fact I can't remember the last time she got a smack for being naughty. :D:thumb:

Don't get me wrong, I was smacked, and I even had my mouth washed out with a bar of soap for swearing at my mum. It hasn't done me any harm :angel:
  • Options
    Those with children; Does putting them on the naughty step actually work ??
  • Options
    Do you agree with smacking kids that are misbehaving?

Does it work or does it affect the child mentally/physically when they grow up and interact in the adult world

i agree with smacking. and i don't think as long as the kids have a stable home, that smacking alone would affect them as an adult. beating the sh*t out of a child is different and i don't agree with that.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »

Sometimes. I've found loosing something they like for a fixed period of time works better.

For example, recently my daughter blatently lied to me and her dad 7 times so we confiscated her stereo for 7 days and also grounded her for 13 (she also put stuffing from inside her rocking horse into the wall heater vent hence the longer grounding, and the second thing she did wrong!) which really upset her and she made us a card the next morning (we were having a lie-in) saying "I'm sorry and I'll never lie to you again". It hit her hard as my cousin has just had a baby and she loves going around there to see the baby and play out with her best mate :thumb:
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »

Sometimes.

Thing with punishment is that you have to apply different approaches to different circumstances. I have never rules out smacking and have used it on odd occasions, but it's always the last option.
  • Options
    If I had a son that was 1:1 like I've been, I WOULD have to smack him, or he'd long ago set the house on fire, or made another insured loss worth of 100.000S (~5k pound) [that's a long story :blush: ]

I am perfectly normal, however, just sometimes there is an ache behind the forehead and then I have an insatiable lust to murder someone, but it usually ends before I get hold of a pointy instrument.
  • Options
    :yes:

Several times...

Do a search mate. This argument has been done to death.
  • Options
    So what if it's been done before, people can do it again, there are new members and new opinions.

If someone does a search and posts in an old convo they'll get "dude thread dead"