Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

going on holiday with old friend

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm supposed to be going on holiday with an old mate of mine this summer. We booked the hotel ages ago, still waiting for him to book the flight though, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem. However, I've hardly spoken to him for the last six months or so. The idea to go on holiday together was a bit of a spur of the moment thing, when we were closer than we are now, so we booked it all up and I couldn't wait. But now I feel a bit awkward because it feels like I don't really know him anymore. We hardly talk much, only when I occassionally ring him, but that just turns into me nagging him to get on and book the flight. He never makes much effort the contact to me.

As the holiday's all booked and things I can't exactly pull out, without losing hundreds of pounds. I've tried speaking to him more often, he lives far away so this is by means of telephone and internet, but it's always a bit dull and one-sided. I totally regret booking it now, but yet still really want to go (just not with him! :rolleyes: ). He still hasn't booked the flight either! Which was his side of deal (mine was the hotel), so I'm guessing he's feeling pretty much the same as me.

What's worse is we booked it when we were both single, but good mates, now however it appears he's got a girlfriend. I don't know how she's going to feel about it, I know I wouldn't be very happy if my boyfriend was going on holiday with a female friend.

So yea. I feel a bit crap about it really, and not sure what to do. Sorry it's been a bit rantish, but any opinions?

Comments

• Options
    I'm supposed to be going on holiday with an old mate of mine this summer. We booked the hotel ages ago, still waiting for him to book the flight though, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem. However, I've hardly spoken to him for the last six months or so. The idea to go on holiday together was a bit of a spur of the moment thing, when we were closer than we are now, so we booked it all up and I couldn't wait. But now I feel a bit awkward because it feels like I don't really know him anymore. We hardly talk much, only when I occassionally ring him, but that just turns into me nagging him to get on and book the flight. He never makes much effort the contact to me.

As the holiday's all booked and things I can't exactly pull out, without losing hundreds of pounds. I've tried speaking to him more often, he lives far away so this is by means of telephone and internet, but it's always a bit dull and one-sided. I totally regret booking it now, but yet still really want to go (just not with him! :rolleyes: ). He still hasn't booked the flight either! Which was his side of deal (mine was the hotel), so I'm guessing he's feeling pretty much the same as me.

What's worse is we booked it when we were both single, but good mates, now however it appears he's got a girlfriend. I don't know how she's going to feel about it, I know I wouldn't be very happy if my boyfriend was going on holiday with a female friend.

So yea. I feel a bit crap about it really, and not sure what to do. Sorry it's been a bit rantish, but any opinions?

Him holding off booking the flight sends out some pretty clear signals to me.

If he hasn't booked the flight, I suggest changing the hotel booking into somebody else's name and getting them to book a flight.

I dislike people who don't take charge of their own actions. This could cost you a lot of £££.
  • Options
    Well, you could offer to let him buy your share of the holiday from you so he and his new girlfriend can away, or vice versa and you go away with a friend you are much closer to now.

Failing those options, i can not think of a way to not lose money on the holiday as it is already booked. If you paid for the hotel in full yourself and all that and he hasnt actually put any money forward, it is a case of talking to him to tell him you think it best you go away on holiday with a closer friend of yours and since he hasnt paid he isnt losing out.

But on the friendship side of things, try talking to him, maybe make him aware of the fact you feel you and he have drifted apart and have a great distance between you in your lives now. Maybe you and he can arrange to hang out more, talk more and so on until you get your old friendship back or maybe it is just natural and you should talk to him purely to sort out the holiday arrangements so you can allow yourselves to drift apart from one another.

I hope this advice helps... i know it is mostly practical rather then emotional, so sorry if it doesnt.

Good Luck though with it all!
  • Options
    I'm in not really but kind of the same circumstances, mate i went to college with last year and havent really seen since then rang me up one day out of the blue & asked if i wanted to go to greece with him, his family and some of their family friends this coming september.
    I just went for it, paid the moneys, got the booking etc and now we're just waiting to go. We've still barely spoken since but i reckon it'll be a good time. We always had a good laugh back in college and at least we'll have a fair bit to chat about :thumb:
  • Options
    I did that ..

Me and this girl were like best mates when her parents booked the holiday and we were all excited then we kinda drifted both got different boyfriends different close mates and just didnt really speak any more it was really awkward. i was actually dreading going on holiday then day i drove to her house.

the first day was awkwardish but then we were dragged to go canooing and had to canoe like 5m down the river or something and neither of us were sporty and we both had a good moan and chat and that broke the ice then we were back to normal for the rest of the holiday.

we got closer again after the holiday .......... then drifted appart then we grew to HATE eachother now we are just about talking again but it wont be the same.