Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

Home schooling

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,875,648 The Mix Honorary Guru
Reading this reminded me of an episode of Wife Swap (there was nothing else on okay...) which featured a couple who home-schooled their child. You ended up feeling very sorry for the child, the parents both seemed to lack social skills, one being an absolute recluse. Meanwhile the child's main friends were a couple of horses... What's more, what came in the programme was that this child did very little academic work compared to what she would have done at school.

Of course home-schooling will vary according to each situation and some parents will have a very different approach and some kids probably end up getting a better education...but still, it's undeniable that this kind of unregulated education could severely disadvantage a child's future prospects in many ways... Surely parents shouldn't be 'reminded' that they have the right to home-school their kids - but rather strongly discouraged?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,875,648 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ok, well you've taken one example that might be considered the stereotype there...possibly accurate but who knows.

Personally I'm not a parent but if I did have kids I'd want to send them to school but also educate them at home myself. Not to indoctrinate them or persuade them to my way of thinking but to make sure their education that was out of my hands was suitably rigorous.
    Surely parents shouldn't be 'reminded' that they have the right to home-school their kids - but rather strongly discouraged?

:yes: I agree. There is much more at to be considered than just the academic education of the child. Being in school with a class full of peers helps develop social skills and conflict resolution skills. Children will also learn the importance of understanding others opinions and working with both friends and foes. These skills are just as essential as GCSE's in the work environment, and it would be disastrous for a child to miss out on them.

It is so much harder to learn these skills if your being taught at home. In an environment were you are the only child. Its also important children are in an environment where children are encouraged to form their own opinions and not just agree with opinions of their parents.

:thumb:
    I'd like to know if people home schooling their children are subjected to the same rigurous inspections that schools are required to go through to make sure that things are being taught correctly?
    I'd like to know if people home schooling their children are subjected to the same rigurous inspections that schools are required to go through to make sure that things are being taught correctly?

I dont think they are subject to any inspections, nor are they expected to adhere to the national curriculum or take standard assessments :no: (as far as I know, that could be completely wrong though)

I understand the want for home schooling in certain circumstances where the child has learning difficulties or something, and I also think the schooling system is heading in the wrong direction at the moment. as it is, kids now are expected to adhere to a very narrow expected "norm". this is not the fault of the schools, nor the teachers, but the curriculum as it stands. standardised testing is all well and good, and serves its purpose, but I think it's been taken to far as it stands now.

that said, I still think the education system in the UK is pretty good. (although I suppose that's because I never fell foul of it)
  • Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,324 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I really disagree with home schooling, it tends to be nothing but a disadvantage to the child involved.

I'd only advocate it in cases were no other alternative is practically availible.
    Reading this reminded me of an episode of Wife Swap (there was nothing else on okay...) which featured a couple who home-schooled their child. You ended up feeling very sorry for the child, the parents both seemed to lack social skills, one being an absolute recluse. Meanwhile the child's main friends were a couple of horses... What's more, what came in the programme was that this child did very little academic work compared to what she would have done at school.

Of course home-schooling will vary according to each situation and some parents will have a very different approach and some kids probably end up getting a better education...but still, it's undeniable that this kind of unregulated education could severely disadvantage a child's future prospects in many ways... Surely parents shouldn't be 'reminded' that they have the right to home-school their kids - but rather strongly discouraged?

I think i saw that episode (My housemates are really into it) The parents were really weird, the ones of the home school child. I think kids need to go and play with other kids in school.

(Plus that Blonde bird was a bit of a milf ;).....i didnt say that)

[I will SO regret this in the morning!)
    I know a fair few people (online) who homeschool, and its an incredibly positive thing for their children if done right. Ive known one person who did it and it was just an excuse to not send the kid to school so they could move around the country easily in their houseboat, but thats not the norm.
    well obviously the success of home schooling depends greatly on the parents so it's not fair to make blanket statements, i was homeschooled until 11 and maybe i wasn't prepared for the school environment when i started, but academically i was way ahead of most kids, makes me wonder what do they teach in primary school?

i'd like to be in a position to homeschool my kids in the future although it won't be easy, purely based on my observations with my siblings i.e. the youngest 3 who have gone through the normal system from the age of 5 just don't seem as bright as the oldest 3 who were homeschooled for 6-8 years.......go figure.

Edit: the youngest 3 also have a far more colourful language then I did at their age, something I wouldn't want my kids exposed to, there's a good program on ch4 next monday actually about schools called watch your motherfucking language, worth a look...

IWS

I may have been conditioned by reading many of your previous posts, especially in P+D, but this one reminds of that old adage : always expect the unexpected.

Then again I may be assuming way too much from three little words.

So,what exactly do you mean by "being taught correctly"
    no, theyre not subjected to the same rigorous inspections, but I would count that as being an extemely GOOD thing about homeschooling, less tests and exams, and its centred around the individual childs needs and interests rather than what some governement official thinks is good for ALL children of a certain age.
    seeker wrote: »
    So,what exactly do you mean by "being taught correctly"

In the opinions of those in power. I mean if they have the children's best interests at heart when they set curriculums and teaching standards etc, you'd expect that they would at least be consistant about it, and apply it to all children. Surely if they feel that every child is required to have an education of a particular standard (which they clearly do because of the laws they've put in place regarding every child requiring an education) then surely logically this should apply to those taught by anyone.
    In the opinions of those in power. I mean if they have the children's best interests at heart when they set curriculums and teaching standards etc, you'd expect that they would at least be consistant about it, and apply it to all children. Surely if they feel that every child is required to have an education of a particular standard (which they clearly do because of the laws they've put in place regarding every child requiring an education) then surely logically this should apply to those taught by anyone.

I follow your logic as set out but I consider that initial "if" a big one.
    In the opinions of those in power. I mean if they have the children's best interests at heart.....

All well and good but that is not what the educational system is designed for....

http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/chapters/index.htm
    don't you have to have some sort of evidence that you can provide your child with a decent education before you can home school them?
    A compulsory state education can be a good way to brainwash an entire generation, so I respect the right to home-school children (provided parents are proven competent).