Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Manchester United - Champions 06/07

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Addict wrote: »
    :yes:

Liverpool will always be a cup team until they win the premiership. The fact they've only had one compeition to play since January has helped them (and Milan) alot also.

This is a thing I've noticed with the European Cup in recent years. Teams that are competing to win their domestic league are mostly finding it very difficult to keep it up in Europe to. I'm not saying it's always the case - Barcelona were brilliant last year, but it seems to be becoming a pattern. Although Milan were brilliant in the semi, they were fresh and their own title race was over, while united looked to be out of steam and out of ideas. It was similar with Chelsea, although they put up a better fight than united...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    To be fair here the trophy Man United fans want the most- and certainly Alex Ferguson- is the European Cup.

You think? I'm not so sure.

I think it did right up until we went without the Title for a couple of years, then we realised just what it means to be able to call yourself "Champions".

Somehow I don't think that Champions of Europe has the same shine without having a league title to back it up. If it hadn't been for the '99 title then I'm not sure that I would have felt so proud about the win in Barcelona. Although TBH the CL lost it's sheen when they allowed second/third and even fourth placed teams to enter - and yes I include the CL winning team from United in that.

Maybe I am just too much of a traditionalist. Just don't get me started on play-offs or semi-finals at Wembley... :mad:
  • Options
    You think? I'm not so sure.

I think it did right up until we went without the Title for a couple of years, then we realised just what it means to be able to call yourself "Champions".

Somehow I don't think that Champions of Europe has the same shine without having a league title to back it up. If it hadn't been for the '99 title then I'm not sure that I would have felt so proud about the win in Barcelona. Although TBH the CL lost it's sheen when they allowed second/third and even fourth placed teams to enter - and yes I include the CL winning team from United in that.

Maybe I am just too much of a traditionalist. Just don't get me started on play-offs or semi-finals at Wembley... :mad:
    Ferguson at least does seem quite preoccupied with the CL. Only this season he said how he regrets deeply Man U not having a couple more European Cups in its trophy room as this is widely seen as the mark of a truly great club.

Impossible to tell for sure but I've always believed the way he has been putting off retirement (or at least quitting the United position) for the last few years is that he wants to win at least one more European Cup before quitting.
  • Options
    I think that he'd like one, but I don't think it's the main driver anymore. 1999 lanced that little boil for him and the rise of Chelsea means that the League is much more competetive now.

As for retirement, I think it's more he drive to win that keeps him going rather than just a specific competition. I don't think that he'd know what to do with himself if he retired.
  • Options

Maybe I am just too much of a traditionalist

Maybe your kidding yourself
  • Options
    deceelpool wrote: »
    Maybe your kidding yourself

In what way? That the Champions League should be reserved for champions (he'll I'd even include FA Cup Winners in that), or in the sense that money talks these days.

Purists, and those of us old enough, remember that on four occasions Liverpool were actually the champions of England/Europe when they entered the competition. It should be renamed Champions (and those rich enough) League TBH.

But I don't delude myself that money talks. I've been through the whole change to Premier League too. Hell I'm old enough to remember teams without sponsorship on their shirts and the original Hitachi Liverpool shirts...