Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Scottish/Local elections

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, the Scottish Elections Results are slowly filtering through. SNP 30 seats, Labour 32 seats (at latest count). But 100 000 votes spoiled due to technical error, complexity of voting system (2 elections in one day, and some people didn't realise), and the like.

Be interesting to see how this plays out.

In local elections, Conservatives, Lib Dems and the BNP (upsetting the CRE) have all made gains at Labour's expense. Conservatives predict a General Election success next time round.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    It's NECK IN NECK! SNP 32, Labour 32.
  • Options
    The Welsh on the board will be pissed off with you. They've bin voting for the Welsh assembly, they 'ave.
  • Options
    Oooo, I am hoping SNP kick labours arse, although not because of the Indipendance, purely because of there other policies, I am waiting to find out Ayrshire/Arran Results, but can't find out, think they're delayed

BBC website, Labour 33, SNP 32
  • Options
    In local elections, Conservatives, Lib Dems and the BNP (upsetting the CRE) have all made gains at Labour's expense. Conservatives predict a General Election success next time round.

Thoughts?

Probably unfortunately. And I fucking hate Cameron. He's just got a face you want to smash in a car door Lock Stock style. Not to mention him trying to get in touch with the common man, and be caring and green, all the time filling his cabinet up with his ex-Eton toff chums. Sorry for the rant, just can't stand the fucker. I could've put up with David Davis as well.
  • Options
    Probably unfortunately. And I fucking hate Cameron. He's just got a face you want to smash in a car door Lock Stock style. Not to mention him trying to get in touch with the common man, and be caring and green, all the time filling his cabinet up with his ex-Eton toff chums. Sorry for the rant, just can't stand the fucker. I could've put up with David Davis as well.
    I think it'll be a hung parliament tbh. No way any one party will get a decent majority.

As for the Welsh Assemby, looks like Rhodri Morgan won't be honouring his statement to step down if the electorate don't want him. 26 seats, and 30 needed to lead. Coalition talks to be expected in Wales as well.
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Oooo, I am hoping SNP kick labours arse, although not because of the Indipendance, purely because of there other policies, I am waiting to find out Ayrshire/Arran Results, but can't find out, think they're delayed

BBC website, Labour 33, SNP 32
    The fact the SNP will get rid of the hugely unfair Council Tax was one policy which sold me. There were problems getting the ballot boxes off of some of the islands last night due to the weather.
  • Options
    Labour in Wales have had arrogant celebrations this morning as though they've won. They've really taken a booting, there are loads of marginal seats now and although they're bound to form part of the next Assembly government, if they take the same blasé and lazy approach this time around they'll be properly hammered in 2011.

Why is this relevant in the grand scheme of things? If Labour can lose votes in the Valleys, where they would vote for a donkey with a Labour rosette, they can lose them anywhere.

Conservatives have done well here and are beginning to make a presence for themselves, Plaid Cymru look like they'll get the number of seats they would've expected. The Lib Dems have been disappointing and will probably get into bed with Labour to keep them in power.
  • Options
    The Labour reaction in Wales appears to be one of damage limitation (or image damage limitation), exactly the same as in Scotland. Labour should be very wary going into the General Election.
  • Options
    Looking like it's beginning to unravel for the SNP. Labour 38, SNP 34.
  • Options
    40 40 :d
  • Options

:yippe:
  • Options
    SNP 45, Labour 43

:thumb:
  • Options
    SNP 45, Labour 43

:mad:
  • Options

And I offically recant this statement. I've never seen an election this close...
  • Options
    SNP 45, Labour 43

What are they aiming for for the win?
  • Options
    What are they aiming for for the win?
    What? Well, I don't think it'll be independence over night.
  • Options
    AND IT'S ALL OVER!!

Final count @ 1730GMT

SNP 47
    Labour 46
    Conservative 17
    Liberal Democrat 16
    Other 3

Wow. Now it gets interesting..... :D
  • Options
    Woooooooohooooooo
  • Options
    10% cancelled votes says it all, dont go digital voting
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    AND IT'S ALL OVER!!

Final count @ 1730GMT

SNP 47
    Labour 46
    Conservative 17
    Liberal Democrat 16
    Other 3

Fantastic. Now the SNP will attempt to gain 'independence' and will bankrupt the whole of Scotland. Great stuff :thumb:

I wonder who they will form a coalition with? I don't think anyone wants to.
  • Options
    So does this mean Council Tax is likely to be abolished in Scotland?
  • Options
    Oh good for them!

They were wanting rid of student debt. Handy as I was wanting to go to uni next year. ;)
  • Options
    1983 wrote: »
    Oh good for them!

They were wanting rid of student debt. Handy as I was wanting to go to uni next year. ;)

pfffft, Scottish students ALREADY don't pay any fees! don't ya think ya have it easy enough already like?! :razz:
  • Options
    Fantastic. Now the SNP will attempt to gain 'independence' and will bankrupt the whole of Scotland. Great stuff :thumb:

I wonder who they will form a coalition with? I don't think anyone wants to.
    OPh please, they wont get independance, and if they did they'd have to hold another election straight after which labour would probably be voted back in,

the most they'll do is Ruffle Westminsters feathers a bit, and maybe thats a good thing
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »
    pfffft, Scottish students ALREADY don't pay any fees! don't ya think ya have it easy enough already like?! :razz:

Hahaha, of course. I was just waiting for someone to say that so I can SAY HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA IN YO FACE SUCKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    AND IT'S ALL OVER!!

Final count @ 1730GMT

SNP 47
    Labour 46
    Conservative 17
    Liberal Democrat 16
    Other 3

Now it does get interesting. :D

The Lib Dems can't do their political prostitute thing again or they would lose a lot of votes next time around. After all, who would waste their vote on Lib Dems when you know they'll just whore themselves out to the largest party?

The Conservatives won't be playing anyone else's game and Labour would need all of the minorities to make a majority (just!)

So is it to be another election or a minority government? Either way, here's hoping McConnell gets the boot as Labour leader. :D
  • Options

:confused:

How do you work that one out?

ETA: Well done SNP.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    :confused:

How do you work that one out?

ETA: Well done SNP.

When the oil runs out, how are we supposed to sustain ourselves? Whisky and Haggis?
  • Options
    I don't think independence will be a thing on the radar for a while. Scotland has the means to make money beyond oil. Glasgow is Scotland's epicentre for business, IT, and commerce. Renewable energy is making inroads here as well. The SNP have to take things slowly, and do things properly. It'll be a long time before we see anything near independence, I think.

The coalitions will be interesting, particularly given everyone else bar the SNP is against independence. Even the lib dems won't put their power with the SNP.

Well, if anything, this set of elections has put the scarers up Labour. IT will definitely make for a tight General Election.
  • Options
    Addict wrote: »
    So does this mean Council Tax is likely to be abolished in Scotland?

And yes, it probably will be, but replaced with a tax based on income rather than on area of residency.