Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How green are you?

PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
You told us what you're doing for the enviroment and if you have any aspirations to become more eco-conscious...

How eco-conscious are you?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I recycle as much as I can and when I go to the shops I take my own plastic bags (when I remember! :() I also just bought these big fold up heavy duty shopping bags to keep in my car for whenever I do a bit shop. People in Wales - they're £1 from hypervalue and they're amazing!! They fold up small enough to fit in a reasonable sized handbag with a little popper to keep them shut, and then they open into a big bag 2 or 3 times the size of a normal carrier bag. Plus, you could fill the whole thing with cans and it wouldn't break. AMAZE!

The least eco friendly thing I have is my car, but admittedly I don't use it that much. I always walk to town (about 30 mins) even though there's a bus stop outside my house, and I pretty much always walk to uni (40 mins) although admittedly thats because there's never any damn parking :grump: . Despite my best effors I often forget to take carrier bags with me to shops, or I go to a shop unexpectadly and use carrier bags. But I don't throw them out I save them to recycle at tescos.
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    I recycle as much as I can and when I go to the shops I take my own plastic bags (when I remember! :() I also just bought these big fold up heavy duty shopping bags to keep in my car for whenever I do a bit shop. People in Wales - they're £1 from hypervalue and they're amazing!! They fold up small enough to fit in a reasonable sized handbag with a little popper to keep them shut, and then they open into a big bag 2 or 3 times the size of a normal carrier bag. Plus, you could fill the whole thing with cans and it wouldn't break. AMAZE!

You mean a bag for life type thing?

I recycle as much as I can. I also walk where I can and only take the bus when I'm going on a long journey.
  • Options
    I make sure my family and bf do a lot of recycling like paper and plastic bags and bottles that sort of stuff but i suppose theres a lot more we could do but every bit helps
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    You mean a bag for life type thing?

Sortof, but much much better. Its made from really thick canvas type material, with really strong woven straps. Much sturdier
  • Options
    I'm vegan, I recycle, I don't drive and I try my best to buy local, or at least British seasonal food. I take my own shopping bag out and when I forget, I always keep other shopping bags in the cupboard then give them to the health food shop or charity shops so they can be reused. I don't consume a lot... I use soda crystals to do my washing.

I think I could do better, for example I take a bath now and again and this wastes water (there's less water in the south east per person, than in Saudi Arabia) and I could do more to promote environmental awareness... Maybe a summer project then. :)
  • Options
    I grow plants. Go me!
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I grow plants. Go me!

I dont think growing cannabis, is going to save the enviroment :p
  • Options
    I loved the irony of that "I'm not a plastic bag" bag being made in Chinese sweatshops with less than perfect human rights records. I don't mind being green, it's the showing off about it that I can't stand. You might as well be walking around with a bag saying "I'm a smug cunt" on the side (which I'm sure I saw a mock-up of somewhere).
  • Options
    I loved the irony of that "I'm not a plastic bag" bag being made in Chinese sweatshops with less than perfect human rights records. I don't mind being green, it's the showing off about it that I can't stand. You might as well be walking around with a bag saying "I'm a smug cunt" on the side (which I'm sure I saw a mock-up of somewhere).

But people always say that... If you try to educate other people, then you're automatically preachy or smug, I mean wtf?

People are expressing their beliefs, are they not entitled to do that? What if they were wearing a Tshirt which said "rock against racism", then are they smug because they're not a racist?

Maybe it is guilty feeling people who call greenies "smug cunts" because unless the person is being a knob and chasing people down the road who dare to shop at Tesco, they aren't. If anything, they're a beacon for questioning. People are more likely to ask them questions and then they can answer, broadening people's knowledge and offering them extra choices to their lifestyle which the may never have known to exist.

I think that people should be bigged up for being green and that it should become trendy because that is more likely to be the best way n to young people's lifestyles. As for the bags being made in China, that is quite disgraceful.
  • Options
    I'm with stupid, are you dissing my shopping bags? :confused:
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    But people always say that... If you try to educate other people, then you're automatically preachy or smug, I mean wtf?

People are expressing their beliefs, are they not entitled to do that? What if they were wearing a Tshirt which said "rock against racism", then are they smug because they're not a racist?

Maybe it is guilty feeling people who call greenies "smug cunts" because unless the person is being a knob and chasing people down the road who dare to shop at Tesco, they aren't. If anything, they're a beacon for questioning. People are more likely to ask them questions and then they can answer, broadening people's knowledge and offering them extra choices to their lifestyle which the may never have known to exist.

It's not quite the same thing. It's the idea of something green as a status symbol, and something else to consume. A Toyota Prius is a status symbol, something to show off to your friends. Getting the bus or walking is something that people have been doing for years, but don't feel the need to brag about it. People only ever feel the need to "educate" other people about things that they've purchased, rather than something they've done to cut down their consumption in the first place. Every family I know has had a draw full of carrier bags to re-use for years, but suddenly something becomes a fashion accessory that you can show off to your friends, and they're "educating other people." No they're not, they're trying to get green points off their friends.
  • Options
    I'm with stupid, are you dissing my shopping bags? :confused:

Yeah, think of all the little children it took to make. No offence, but what's the problem with re-using carrier bags? My mum always used to send me to the shop with an old tesco carrier bag. I've never had one break, except when I was on my bike and it got caught in the wheel. Or do they not show off how green you are to the world?
  • Options
    It's not quite the same thing. It's the idea of something green as a status symbol, and something else to consume. A Toyota Prius is a status symbol, something to show off to your friends. Getting the bus or walking is something that people have been doing for years, but don't feel the need to brag about it. People only ever feel the need to "educate" other people about things that they've purchased, rather than something they've done to cut down their consumption in the first place. Every family I know has had a draw full of carrier bags to re-use for years, but suddenly something becomes a fashion accessory that you can show off to your friends, and they're "educating other people." No they're not, they're trying to get green points off their friends.

So you would rather people had non-green things as a status symbol instead of something with a lower environmental impact?

I don't know what you are talking about, but my experience has not been the same as that. I don't think you should look down on their descision because at the end of the day, it's better than not doing anything. I know what you mean about purchasing... The problem is that now, these companies are bringing out "green" or "ethical" products and encouraging consumption when we should be discouraging it as we are not living sustainably... But surely it's a good sign that people are becoming more aware.

It should be hip to be green, surely. Hopefully this is just the first step in to something bigger.
  • Options
    Oh my god. I don't show off about how green I am. That's completly not the point. There's no problem with recycling carrier bags, I do that for local shopping, but I often have to park my car 1 or 2 streets away from my house and carrying carrier bags from the car is difficult, hurts my hands and I have had a good few of them break on me. I thought the bags were a really good idea, so much in fact I thought I'd share on here incase anyone else thought so and wanted to get some.

You've completly took this the wrong way and I'm increadibly insulted that you think the only reason I bought those bags is to 'brag' about how green I am and show off to my friends. Its not a fucking fashion accessary, I've been recyling plastic bags for as long as I can remember I just find these bags easier

You don't even know me. I'm not 'proud' of trying to care for the environment its just one of the things that's important to me. I couldn't give a shit what people think, in fact people sometimes tease me about going out of my way to recycle stuff. I'm only trying to do my bit, I'm not even sure what your fucking problem is to be honest
  • Options
    So you would rather people had non-green things as a status symbol instead of something with a lower environmental impact?

Yeah exactly, what the hell is your point? How DARE I buy a reusable shopping bag so I don't have to use plastic bags. Maybe you should change your name to I AM Stupid :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Yeah exactly, what the hell is your point? How DARE I buy a reusable shopping bag so I don't have to use plastic bags. Maybe you should change your name to I AM Stupid :rolleyes:

Well I use an Onya bag, it rocks. I don't care if people look down their noses at me because I have one, or because I use recycled stationary, or sometimes wear a People & Planet Tshirt. It is my lifestyle, it is who I am and if people want to judge me based upon the commodities that I own, whether or not my commodities are a statement of my lifestyle in my eyes just makes them jealous or superficial.

I don't ever buy things to look smug, they're just a part of who I am (I actually try to shop as little as possible, so I'm With Stupid, I find it an insult that you would assume I do otherwise and am just trying to earn 'green points... That's really condescending and judgemental of you). It's about personal ethics too.
  • Options

Hahahahaha, never heard that one before. Fucking hell, lighten up. I'm just saying that I don't like this general trend of environmentalism being driven by consumerism, which is the very problem in the first place. The bag comment was just a joke, but considering that they sold out after Keira Knightley was seen carrying one, I think the point has some validity. Yes, in individual cases, the ends often justify the means. Is it better that someone owns a Toyota Prius than a Range Rover? Of course. Is it even better that they actually cut down on their use of the car in the first place? Definitely. At the moment, all I see is going green through buying more shit, and as a general overall trend, it will change nothing.
  • Options
    I don't ever buy things to look smug, they're just a part of who I am (I actually try to shop as little as possible, so I'm With Stupid, I find it an insult that you would assume I do otherwise and am just trying to earn 'green points... That's really condescending and judgemental of you). It's about personal ethics too.

You two seem to be taking this very personally. Unless you can deny that a significant number of people (maybe not you) buy "green" things simply to keep up appearances, then my point still stands. The only question is whether this is a good or bad thing. And personally, I think it sends out the wrong messages.
  • Options
    I'm just saying that I don't like this general trend of environmentalism being driven by consumerism, which is the very problem in the first place.

I agree. But I think the shopping bags are a great investment as I won't have to get any carrier bags at all and they should last me years and years. You can still buy some things you know
    but considering that they sold out after Keira Knightley was seen carrying one, I think the point has some validity.

I don't even know who she is :rolleyes: And I certaintly wouldn't do something just because some celebrity is. You can't tar everyone with the same brush
  • Options
    You two seem to be taking this very personally.

Well your comments were directly aimed at my shopping bag post so of course I'm going to take it personally! That's why I asked you if you were talking about my shopping bags because I didn't want to get offended if it wasn't aimed at me. We're offended because you implied that I bought the bags, or anyone who buys the bags, does it just to look cool in front of my mates. Thats incorrect and offensive
  • Options
    You two seem to be taking this very personally. Unless you can deny that a significant number of people (maybe not you) buy "green" things simply to keep up appearances, then my point still stands. The only question is whether this is a good or bad thing. And personally, I think it sends out the wrong messages.

Such as?

It is better for people to buy green things to look cool than not by green things at all.
  • Options
    I don't even know who she is :rolleyes: And I certaintly wouldn't do something just because some celebrity is. You can't tar everyone with the same brush

I'm referring specifically to the "I'm not a plastic bag" bags by the way. Is that the one you own? I know a lot of charity websites do their own too. But that's the one that was mocked up with the (ahem) alternative slogan on it. And that's the one that sold out really instantly after she appeared in a magazine with it. So it's obvious that a significant number of people did buy it just because she owned it (and sold it on ebay afterwards at many times it's original price - so the people who paid those prices obviously weren't buying it for ethical reasons).
  • Options
    Such as?

It is better for people to buy green things to look cool than not by green things at all.

Well of course. If they're not gonna change their lifestyle anyway, then it's better for them to buy greener things to carry on their existing lifestyle. But the claim that that then makes them green simply isn't true. Being green is cutting out unnecessary waste, not buying more efficiant ways to process your existing waste. I guess I simply can't stand the huge amount of publicity that one gets over the other. But then one gets advertisers interested and the other doesn't.
  • Options
    I'm referring specifically to the "I'm not a plastic bag" bags by the way. Is that the one you own?

I have no idea what that is. Mine don't have writing on, apart from a recyling logo which I think means it can be recycled, not sure how though as its made from canvas. They're just like a normal bag but big and lots of tough stitching so you can carry cans and a little popper so you can fold it up

You didn't make it clear that you were referring to a specific bag. Plus, I'd already said I'd got mine from hyper value. So why you were laying into my bags I have no idea. I'm not buying it for fashion or trend and I think you should have established that before you tarred me with the same brush as those-trend following idiots

Plus, isn't it good that celebrities are setting a good example and people are following? Its rediculous when people follow like sheep but better that they're doing something good for the environment
  • Options
    Well of course. If they're not gonna change their lifestyle anyway, then it's better for them to buy greener things to carry on their existing lifestyle. But the claim that that then makes them green simply isn't true. Being green is cutting out unnecessary waste, not buying more efficiant ways to process your existing waste. I guess I simply can't stand the huge amount of publicity that one gets over the other. But then one gets advertisers interested and the other doesn't.

Why do you care? It's not your business. :yeees:

And nobody is saying that it makes them green, just that it's better to buy green things than a load of crap.

And publicity isa good thing really, I mean it gets people interested doesn't it?
  • Options
    You didn't make it clear that you were referring to a specific bag.

I did, in post 9. I said I was referring to the "I'm not a plastic bag" bag.
  • Options
    I did, in post 9. I said I was referring to the "I'm not a plastic bag" bag.

Oh ha I didn't know what a 'I'm not a plastic bag' is so I didn't get it. Yeah I can see your point on people jumping on the commercial bandwagon, but I'm not like that. And I did ask if you were dissing my bags and you said yes so I got a bit offended :p
  • Options
    A woman on her new 'I'm not a plastic bag' bag:
    I know this is an environmentally friendly shopping bag aimed at encouraging people to ditch their plastic bags for this more eco-friendly option, but the truth is I won't," said one would-be fashionista.

"The bottom line is it looks great and I don't want to any squashed tomatoes, cracked eggs or spilt milk on it.

"Besides it wouldn't fit a week's worth of shopping in and will look a lot better with my sunglasses in.

From here:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=450547&in_page_id=1770

Wow I'm with stupid I see your point, that's so pathetic. I definatly haven't got one of those! I'd never even heard of those before! Mine is unbelievably untrendy and I definatly will be carrying my shopping in it!
  • Options
    Oh ha I didn't know what a 'I'm not a plastic bag' is so I didn't get it. Yeah I can see your point on people jumping on the commercial bandwagon, but I'm not like that. And I did ask if you were dissing my bags and you said yes so I got a bit offended :p

I did mean to use a smiley in that post. Maybe this one. :p I figured you meant you had one of those bags. It was tongue in cheek y'know. I don't honestly think anyone who buys green things is a smug cunt.
  • Options
    Haha ok. Check this out though, when they were sold in Sainsburys
    Some supermarket staff were seen putting the eco-friendly shoppers into familiar orange, and distinctly plastic, bags.