Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Two months for girl whose rape lie ruined cabbie's life

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    By naming her, for a start.

Not really because you know you'd get the vigilante knuckle draggers giving her a kicking. Then of course, they get arrested and it wastes more money in the courts getting them done for GBH.

It is neither yours, my own or anybody's business who this girl is apart from the taxi driver. It probably wouldn't be safe for her to go out if she were named and although she did a terrible thing, she needs to get on with her life once she has served her sentence.

Let the courts deal with her, not the self-righteous public with little else to do.
  • Options
    I think in cases like this, they should pay them something like £10 an hour to do community service, which then goes to the victims, and they don't stop until it's all been paid off. :D

Exactly. I wouldn't expect her to just pay it off all at once, that's silly. But she should definatly have to pay. The guy had to go through court to get his license back even though he's been proved to have done nothing wrong, and lost his house because of it. That man is going to have to work to pay off the debt, l i think it was something like £12k. If anyone has to pay it should be HER
    On the other hand though, it's not the girls fault that his "friends" and "community" still want nothing to do with him despite him proving his innocence. I guess things like this reveal the people who really are your friends. No offence, but they're all obviously a bunch of cunts.

The problem was it was like 14 months after she made the claim that the girl said she lied. He was originally cleared because of no evidence but she hadn't admitted she lied so people still thought he was guilty. Hopefully that will change now, but I'm guessing the damage has already been done
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Not really because you know you'd get the vigilante knuckle draggers giving her a kicking. Then of course, they get arrested and it wastes more money in the courts getting them done for GBH.
    Why would that be the case more than any other crime? Maybe every criminal should be anonymous then? I guarantee that this girl wouldn't have lied about it in the first place, if she didn't know for a fact that she would not be named afterwards.
  • Options
    Why would that be the case more than any other crime? Maybe every criminal should be anonymous then? I guarantee that this girl wouldn't have lied about it in the first place, if she didn't know for a fact that she would not be named afterwards.

Yes, I do believe in the anonymity of criminals as it would be different to otherwise draw the line on who to name and shame. The fact is that it isn't our business anyway, why should we care?
  • Options
    Yes, I do believe in the anonymity of criminals as it would be different to otherwise draw the line on who to name and shame. The fact is that it isn't our business anyway, why should we care?

i think it's called empathy?

why should we care about people without water in africa? fuck them eh! none of our business =p
  • Options

Well the point is that it should be everyone or no-one. I'm not sure I agree with you. I wouldn't for example, be comfortable voting for a politician with a history of race-hate crimes, or hiring a tradesman with a history of conning customers.
  • Options
    muse- wrote: »
    i think it's called empathy?

why should we care about people without water in africa? fuck them eh! none of our business =p

That's what is commonly called a reductio ad absurdum(spl?).

There is a difference between people suffering in the present and people who have committed an act in the past. The past cannot be changed, the future can (to what degree in the drought case, I don't know... But do you understand my logic?). *Resists temptation to derail thread*

At the end of the day, it's none of your business if Geoff is just about to be released from prison from hitting Tina a year ago. It doesn't change what he has done and it isn't a part of your life, nor was it ever a result of your actions.
  • Options
    Well the point is that it should be everyone or no-one. I'm not sure I agree with you. I wouldn't for example, be comfortable voting for a politician with a history of race-hate crimes, or hiring a tradesman with a history of conning customers.

I think that with the case of the politician, her/his racism would reflect through to her/his policies and speeches. Maybe they have reformed... Maybe their experiences have made them adamently anti-racist, or being in prison has really made them change.
  • Options
    That's what is commonly called a reductio ad absurdum(spl?).

There is a difference between people suffering in the present and people who have committed an act in the past. The past cannot be changed, the future can (to what degree in the drought case, I don't know... But do you understand my logic?). *Resists temptation to derail thread*

Yeah I understand, but people don't want to change the past - they feel for the guy so they want to get a sense of justice by changing the future of the guilty party.
    At the end of the day, it's none of your business if Geoff is just about to be released from prison from hitting Tina a year ago. It doesn't change what he has done and it isn't a part of your life, nor was it ever a result of your actions.

This just goes back to my point, and makes what I said about africans etc relevant again :s It's not a result of our personal actions (maybe our country overall in the past, but thats not the point), or anything to do with us... people 'make it their business' as such because they feel justice hasn't been/isn't being done.
  • Options
    Yeah I understand, but people don't want to change the past - they feel for the guy so they want to get a sense of justice by changing the future of the guilty party.
    As in beating the crap outta them? This would surely be counter productive.
    This just goes back to my point, and makes what I said about africans etc relevant again :s It's not a result of our personal actions (maybe our country overall in the past, but thats not the point), or anything to do with us... people 'make it their business' as such because they feel justice hasn't been/isn't being done.

Arguably, the conditions that a lot of people in the global south are living has a lot to do with our personal actions.

And justice is individual to each person, which is why I disagree with the naming and shaming. It should be dealt with by the law (and I don't doubt there are many shitty judges out there) because it is the only wa it can be dealt with fairly. Note also, how naming and shaming would discriminate based on build, physical strength, gender, sexuality ect. People have their prejudices and are mre likely to jump a skinny gay guy than a twenty stone body builder.
  • Options
    I didn't mean beating them up lol... just that piece of mind can go a really long way, especially for someone that has lost so much. Something along the lines of that community service thing would do well imo.

Also you're right about naming and shaming... how people get treated will depend on them as a person - it's just really ironic in this situation that the guy getting shamed is the innocent one, and the one being protected is the guilty one. Then again I guess that both backs up your point and contradicts it; if noone had been named then this would'nt be such a big issue, but its also protecting the girl from going through what the guy had to.
  • Options
    What about situations where naming and shaming has caused other victims of the same person to come forward when previously they wouldn't have? This is particularly prominant in cases involving sex crimes, for example.
  • Options
    What about naming and shaming paedos namaste? Where do you draw the line?
  • Options
    I actually agree with Namaste in principle. Unfortunately, I think the theory relies on our judicial system effectively rehabilitating offenders, which currently I have zero confidence it does.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    What about naming and shaming paedos namaste? Where do you draw the line?

No you shouldn't because by naming and shaming them, people who look like them and have the same name will become targets of vigilante thugs.
  • Options
    I didn't mean beating them up lol... just that piece of mind can go a really long way, especially for someone that has lost so much. Something along the lines of that community service thing would do well imo.

It doesn't matter whether or not you believe it's Ok to beat them up, a lot of people are self-righteous enough to actually take that sort of action.

Ans what if they get the wrong guy?
  • Options
    What about situations where naming and shaming has caused other victims of the same person to come forward when previously they wouldn't have? This is particularly prominant in cases involving sex crimes, for example.

It may... It may not. It may encourage more cases of what we had as the original point of the thread. I don't see why it would encourage survivors of rape and abuse to come forward.
  • Options
    It may... It may not. It may encourage more cases of what we had as the original point of the thread. I don't see why it would encourage survivors of rape and abuse to come forward.

It already does. There are countless cases (according to police) where someone who has been charged with rape is revealed to the public, and other women come forward who wouldn't have done previously (presumably for the same reasons that a lot of women don't come forward in the first place - so few cases end up in a conviction). This is the main argument for the identity of men being revealed immediately after the accusation has been made, rather than once he's actually been convicted, since it often results in a much stronger case against him.

It might encourage more false accusations, which is why the accuser should then be named if it is proven they lied, because that would discourage false accusations.
  • Options
    No you shouldn't because by naming and shaming them, people who look like them and have the same name will become targets of vigilante thugs.

This is why I'm against it as well.
  • Options
    i find it disgraceful that the media concentrate on this sorry tale, at the expense of the 95% of rape claimants who never see justice for them.

if he had raped the girl he wouldn't have got two months, and that's the real shocker about this whole thing. its an awful story, it really is, but its not common and its not the norm.

those who claim rape should never be identified, especially not youngsters, but those who are charged should also be anonymous until conviction. the girl has not been named because of laws set up to protect young people, and i really can't believe that people want that changed.
  • Options
    I actually like the fact that for once someone getting cleared of a sex crime gets as much publicity as someone being accused of it. How many times have you seen a teacher, or other figure of authority, get accused of sexual assault, and have it plastered all over the news, with them effectively never being able to work again (because let's face it, a few parents seem to lose any fucking common sense when someone is just accused), then he's cleared of all charges, and it gets a little column of page 27.
  • Options
    i find it disgraceful that the media concentrate on this sorry tale, at the expense of the 95% of rape claimants who never see justice for them.

if he had raped the girl he wouldn't have got two months, and that's the real shocker about this whole thing. its an awful story, it really is, but its not common and its not the norm.

those who claim rape should never be identified, especially not youngsters, but those who are charged should also be anonymous until conviction. the girl has not been named because of laws set up to protect young people, and i really can't believe that people want that changed.

What are you on about son? There are countless threads about the harsh reality of rape on this site.
  • Options

Can't you see the link between the two issues?

We are outraged that this girl gets away with lying, or indeed lies in the first place, because it makes it harder to get convictions or to encourage women to come forward in the first place.
  • Options
    Absolutely outrageous. That scummy chav should get 10 years at least for effectively ruining that man's livelihood and making him a social pariah, both in the Muslim community and outside it.
  • Options
    Absolutely outrageous. That scummy chav should get 10 years at least for effectively ruining that man's livelihood and making him a social pariah, both in the Muslim community and outside it.

I absolutely agree, If there was a harsher punishment for such lies maybe it would make girls think twice about making a mockery of something which is a horrific experience that many women are unfortunate enough to have to go through.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    If the driver was named, at the time when they thought he was guily, then she should be named now. She deserves it.

A question that no one here made: It says she did think he had raped her at first. What could have made her do that? As far as I know, if you get so stupidly drunk you just have no memories, not false ones.
  • Options
    If the driver was named, at the time when they thought he was guily, then she should be named now. She deserves it.

There's some sort of law over here about naming people under 18. (I think)
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    There's some sort of law over here about naming people under 18. (I think)
    Ok, this excuse makes sense I guess. Just as long as they would have named her if she was older.
  • Options
    Yeh, it's part of the Children and Young Persons Act that you cannot identify a child (under 14) or a young person (under 18) in criminal proceedings.

Indrid - even if she was older, she still wouldn't have been named. Under the Sexual Offences Act, the claimant in a sex offence case has the right to anonymity in his or her lifetime, even if he or she is found to be lying or the allegations are incorrect.
  • Options
    Indrid - even if she was older, she still wouldn't have been named. Under the Sexual Offences Act, the claimant in a sex offence case has the right to anonymity in his or her lifetime, even if he or she is found to be lying or the allegations are incorrect.
    This is what's stupid then. The one who's guilty is the one that has to be named, if someone has to be.