Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨

one of my local primary schools is shutting down

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,875,648 The Mix Honorary Guru
simply because the number of under fives has fallen along with the birthrate, am i the only person that think they should it as an oppurtunity to lower class sizes further and further personalise state funded education

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,875,648 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No, I'm sure you're not. Lowering class sizes is an excellent idea but the school won't get the funding it needs to teach effectively without a certain number of pupils attending. It's shit.
    simply because the number of under fives has fallen along with the birthrate, am i the only person that think they should it as an oppurtunity to lower class sizes further and further personalise state funded education

I guess that depends on the current size of classes in your area. You have to ask how few is too few. Seems like the Council have already decided...
    It's a nice idea but schools main funding comes from the £x per child they get and you need a certain number of kids to make it feasible.
    It's a nice idea but schools main funding comes from the £x per child they get and you need a certain number of kids to make it feasible.

yes that's true across the whole country due to the falling birthrate there are less children going into primary schools now, especially in city areas this should be a reason to use the same government budget assigned for say primary education but for less children :s
    yes that's true across the whole country due to the falling birthrate there are less children going into primary schools now, especially in city areas this should be a reason to use the same government budget assigned for say primary education but for less children :s

But there are more pupils that stay on in sixth form these days. Maybe the allocated budget gets balanced out in that way.
    which park what ever it is school? thats seems like a really good school as well...surely the school would be benefiting form less students, and thus having smaller class sizes?

but how far away is the next school, not within walking distance surely...
    which park what ever it is school? thats seems like a really good school as well...surely the school would be benefiting form less students, and thus having smaller class sizes?
    But with less funding, the school would be unlikely to afford as many teachers. Year groups would then have to be taught together, which some people see as less effective.
    but it isn't always...i was taught in a village school for a while which had some mixed year groups and for people that have started to fall behind, it really helped to get them upto speed...i.e. me!
    but it isn't always...i was taught in a village school for a while which had some mixed year groups and for people that have started to fall behind, it really helped to get them upto speed...i.e. me!
    I get that. We had one mixed class in my primary school too. It's kind of hard to comment on this as I don't know the class sizes in the school or how many teachers they have so I'm just putting forward reasons as to why they've made the decision. The governors are probably the best people to ask. It would ultimately be their decision, along with LEA and Ofsted.
    the reason they probably made this decision is because the council don't have their priorities right! Havering are a bunch of knob heads, as are many london boroughs are...education is not their priority, crime normally is...
    But it wouldn't just be the council's decision ....
    no but council's have huge influence and can sway something...
    *waves the white flag*

I had this in junior school. Year 3/4 was together and taught the same stuff. 5/6 were also together and taught the same stuff. (until they changed maths & english in Year 5/6 and had 2 groups of year 5, 2 groups of year 6 & one mixed 'support' group')
    Sofie wrote: »
    I had this in junior school. Year 3/4 was together and taught the same stuff. 5/6 were also together and taught the same stuff. (until they changed maths & english in Year 5/6 and had 2 groups of year 5, 2 groups of year 6 & one mixed 'support' group')

... due to the wonderful introduction of SATs no doubt!!
    Loopi wrote: »
    ... due to the wonderful introduction of SATs no doubt!!

Yes.