Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Physio...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I had my long awaited physio assessment today. I was involved in a car accident over a year ago, only just been given the go-ahead for physio - fractured coccyx, with related back pain/spasms and whiplash to the left shoulder.

It was decided that I'd have some massage for half the session and then do some real working-out in the gym, doing weights.

My question is... weight lifting - will I lose weight (flab) during regular heavy sessions of weights? At the moment I'm planning to start my exercise regime, but can't now due to physio restrictions. So, I'm hoping now that doing regular weight lifting will help me kick start my 2 stone weight loss....

Gym rats, please share your advice/opinions/knowledge!!! ta x

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My question is... weight lifting - will I lose weight (flab) during regular heavy sessions of weights?

Absolutely :D In general, if you want to burn fat, one of the best combos of decreasing importance starts with diet, weights and then high intensity cardio. I'll try and drag up the source when I can, but muscle is a massive metabolically active tissue, so when you work it, your basic metabolic rate will rise, and it has been shown it can rise for up to 37 hours after you have worked out.

Rest periods between lifting heavy weights is pretty important, as that's when your muscle will start to build. You need to eat small meals frequently, mixing protein, complex carbohydrates and the right fats. I only tend to use protein powder because my boyfriend does, but supplimenting with a multivitamin would suffice.

It's good that you have a goal set in mind, but do be aware that muscle is 5x heavier than fat, so it might be better to use tape measures than scales, it's also much denser, so you'll gradually get leaner and notice a chance.

I don't know how much you can exercise in terms of weights given your injuries, but deadlifts and squats are some of the best exercises as they work whole muscle groups, rather than isolation machines.

Stumptuous is a great starting point, she has good nutritional info, excellent exercise plans for people starting out, helps to dispell myths and a good section on dealing with injuries

Body for Life is good for beginners. It helps to get into the mindset of eating regularly and describes HIIT (high intensity interval training) well.

Exercise and muscle directory gives excellent demonstrations of exercises for muscle groups.