Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

replicating another era...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i'm completly in love with 50's style and i want to emulate it, but i don't want to look fake...what should i be avoiding? or what really works?

Comments

• Options
    Just don't go OTT like this girl in my building. She looks like a fat Christina Aguilera at the mo.
  • Options
    haha! no i've got some flowery skirts and some 50's style jeans and corsets but i really do try not to go OTT...but i think i looked quite crap at the meet....:(
  • Options
    Go vintage shop! Armstrongs is good. Charity shops. Gah if you lived in Edinburgh I could tell you all the best placesssss.
  • Options
    Go for clothes that suit your figure don't wear something just because it's 50's. I believe there's something from the 50's for most shapes and sizes.
  • Options
    How about mixing 50s style pieces with modern shapes? Or pick 50s trends, like wearing a scarf tied round your neck with a plain t-shirt, but use a modern scarf and a modern shirt? That way you'll be going for cool and retro, rather that looking like you might be going to a fancy dress party or to see Sing-a-long-a Grease.

Having said that, of all the decades to aspire to, I reckon the 50s is one of the best.
  • Options
    Ahhh, the 50's is a great style era. I'd say pick a key piece at a time - stick with that and team it with something more modern. Don't dress head to toe in 50's gear or you'll look like you've come out of a time warp.
  • Options
    I quite like 50's style skirts with flat shoes and a vest top or t shirt.