Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Book recommendations

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
OK. So I'm working the elections next Thursday. If just been told that I'm not allowed to take my PSP (bummer!) to pass the time but if I wish I can take a book to read.

Now.... Any recommendations of a book that I will most likely be able to read in about a day as the likelyhood of me picking it back up again would be slim.

My usual genre would be horror/thriller type stuff with King & Laymon being favs.

So help me out please guys. Otherwise I will have to pass 15hours (!!!) by looking out the windows.

:D
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Hmm these are mystery type books but I enjoyed them.

Gentlemen and Players by Joanne Harris
    The Minotaur by Barbara Vine (AKA Ruth Rendell)
  • Options
    Try something different - I found this book superb, had trouble putting it down.

Opening Skinner's Box by Lauren Slater.

It's non-fiction, but written in such a manner that it's head and shoulders above most of the other books I've read in the last few years!

It'll also shock you, I would surmise as it really makes you think about your own thoughts etc.
  • Options
    That's not really in the genre though is it? (or that good, infact)
  • Options
    I just read Saturday by Ian McEwan. Not in the horror genre, but a good read, and under 300 pages so readable in a day. :thumb:
  • Options
    How much King have you read?

Some of his short stories are fantastic. The one I'm thinking of specifically is The Long Walk (think it might be under the Richard Bachman name) which would be perfect for reading in one go. It's a bit political as well, so kind of apt :p
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Kind of late to suggest more, isn't it now? It's Friday.
  • Options
    How much King have you read?

The lot. :D

I have grabbed a couple of Laymon books from my library and have requested Opening Skinner's Box by Lauren Slater which should be at my local branch on Monday.

:)
  • Options
    Kind of late to suggest more, isn't it now? It's Friday.

Next Thursday (3rd May) is election day :D
  • Options
    Something Wicked This Comes by Ray Bradbury
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Next Thursday (3rd May) is election day :D
    3rd May is "next Thursday" now. When you said it the first time, yesterday was "next Thursday". ;)

For a "thriller" I'd recommend "The Mothman prophecies". Don't judge about by its film, this one is great!

For non thriller ones, I'll never stop suggesting "Uncle Petros and Goldbach's conjecture". :p You don't need to know much math to understand it, and it's not really about math anyway.
  • Options
    I was a poll clark last year for the elections and I got through 3 books and about 27 cups of tea.
  • Options
    about 27 cups of tea.

Did they have a loo?! :p

Fresh out of ideas if you've read ALL of King :( Well, if that's the genre you want to go with anyway, I can recommend tonnes which aren't :)
  • Options
    This one

Just imagine the looks from the Tory voters...
  • Options
    Horror books are shite. It's one of those genres that really doesn't work on the printed page.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Horror books are shite. It's one of those genres that really doesn't work on the printed page.

Really? I've been far more scared by books than I have by films. King is a classic example... his books are fantastic and the films never translate as well. The only books of his that do translate well are the ones which aren't reall horror in the first place, such as The Green Mile and The Shawshank Redemption.
  • Options
    Really? I've been far more scared by books than I have by films. King is a classic example... his books are fantastic and the films never translate as well. The only books of his that do translate well are the ones which aren't reall horror in the first place, such as The Green Mile and The Shawshank Redemption.
    :yes:.

The movies of It and The Shining disappointed me so much :(.
  • Options
    Eh? The Shining is a classic film. Due mostly to Kubrick. Stephen King is a dreadful writer.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote: »
    Eh? The Shining is a classic film. Due mostly to Kubrick. Stephen King is a dreadful writer.
    The Shining might be a good film, but as an adaptation of a book it was fucking awful. I didn't mind him cutting things out, or *even* adding things in, but the fact that he completely changed a great deal of the details (not even the minor ones, that I could have forgiven) left me reeling. Annnnnnnnnnnd he left out some major explanatory points. I could go on forever, really. Maybe had I watched it before reading the book, I would have enjoyed it.

'It' was just plain crap, though.
  • Options

and have requested Opening Skinner's Box by Lauren Slater which should be at my local branch on Monday.

:)

Excellent :)
  • Options
    Stone Junction by Jim Dodge - you'll love it man