Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Seeing spots and splotches of light?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been seeing splotches or spots of light for over two years now, I've already seen my PCP for a referral to an ENT/optometrist, but I'd like to gather some research on it myself first.

I'll see red, white, and blues (patriot at heart I guess); the white I'd characterize as pin point in size, the red a bit wider but still rather small, and blue is more the size of a dime. I'd say I see them more as 'light' then colors, if you can make sense of that.

Eyes closed or open makes no difference as I've seen these 'lights' just the same eyes closed. I could be looking at a wall, objects with great foreground/background distances between them, outside/inside, even this LCD screen once now -right in the center- a blue splotch as I write this.

My PCP, post wall chart exam, tells me my left is better then 20/20 but my right is two marks bellow, meaning my left is 'correcting' my right evening me out at 20/20 vision (or I just had some gunk in my right eye, don't think those things are too accurate).

Anyone experienced something like this? What could it mean or be caused by? Any advice or things I should be aware of or read up on?

Appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    There are a number of causes so I don't really say. I do get them, the optician say its visual migraines.

something about them there http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/spotsfloats.htm

just google for seeing spots or something.
  • Options
    Thought I'd post some more pertinent information:

My PCP is setting up a ophthalmologist visit.

22yo Male
    No trauma: Light concussion many years ago, needed a couple stitches, had x-rays and all was clear

Headaches: I guess I've been minimizing them, paying more attention recently and they're pretty often

My eyes often feel 'pressure' in the mornings (after 5-7 hours sleep) my eyes are strained, sore. I do get pressure behind my eyes throughout my day, seem to go bloodshot at random. My eyes are very sensitive to light and cold. Figured it was looking at my monitor in the morning that was causing the strain I was awaking to, even after stopping that it continues, related it to using benzoyl peroxide on my face (skin treatment) but not applying it I still have the issue. Not every morning I awake to eye irritation, but everyday I do either get some pressure sensations, or strain, bloodshot, something irritating them on and off throughout the day.

I see these splotches, specks, and spots of light everyday, I seem to have those 'floater' streaks as well. There are rapid flashes, I can see just fine with them, they don't linger at all.

Sleep: avg 6 most nights. No real exercise for nearly a year now, was running/lifting for some months as of last year, reduced to walking around a lot if anything, typical daily activity.

Eyes: Light blue.

Eating: Pretty healthy, mixture of greens and fresh vegetables, fruits, everyday. Meat 4x/wk.

I do appreciate all the responses, if any of you care to go into further depth. It will be a few weeks before I get my ophthalmologist visit.

Much appreciated.
  • Options
    I see 'floaters' all the time. I've had my eyes tested (now at -10 prescription for myopia and astigmatism) and apparently I'm all healthy.

The opthalmologist did say that if they start to dramatically increase in numbers, then to get myself to the A&E or to my GP sharpish.

But, I have a condition that means I'm far more susceptible to retinal detachment, so it's best that I have my eyes tested regularly especially as I have floaters in my vision too.

It's normal to a certain extent, but when they become distracting, or a problem, that's when you should seek medical advice.

ETA; Found this http://www.eye-care.org.uk/item_view.php?item_id=105&content_id=4
  • Options
    ive been seeing a big spot that trails along the left hand side of my vision on my left eye after an assault last week.. its actually quite startling at times as it happens when i move my head and is like a big ghost or some shit zooming by
  • Options
    HopeAlight wrote: »
    I do appreciate all the responses, if any of you care to go into further depth.

Not really possible for anyone on here to tell you what your symptoms are caused by to be honest, all you can get is speculation. You've been referred to the right person to diagnose and treat you. I hope you don't have to wait too long for your appointment though, it is annoying not knowing what's wrong when you've got something not right. Good luck with it. :)
  • Options
    z- wrote: »
    ive been seeing a big spot that trails along the left hand side of my vision on my left eye after an assault last week.. its actually quite startling at times as it happens when i move my head and is like a big ghost or some shit zooming by
    You really should get that seen to. Floaters are caused by the break up of the vitrious fluid in the eye and can cause permanent damage if not treated...
  • Options
    You really should get that seen to. Floaters are caused by the break up of the vitrious fluid in the eye and can cause permanent damage if not treated...

hmm thanks for the info, ill go in a few days if it doesnt fuck off.. im gonna fire you a pm about something else btw!
  • Options
    Lu_C wrote: »
    I hope you don't have to wait too long for your appointment though, it is annoying not knowing what's wrong when you've got something not right. Good luck with it. :)

I do get annoyed with the referral process, taken a few weeks already and I imagine around another four to six for the actual appointment.

I do appreciate all the opinions and information provided, thank you.
  • Options
    i had this about 2 years ago seeing dots and flashes of light i went to my doctor and he refered me to the hospital to see the eye doctor there and they did some tests and they found out that on the back of my left eye the retina is stretched so i had some eye drops and now i only see them occasionaly but if they come back il have to go back for surgery on my eye

good luck with your appointment tho!
  • Options
    It can be a problem with your retina, so I would definitely get a second opinion.