Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Abstinence 'education' proven completely useless

http://education.guardian.co.uk/schoolsworldwide/story/0,,2058181,00.html

Let's hope this odious, damaging and pointless initiative is now banished forever, in the US and elsewhere.

Silver ring my hairy arse.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    $1 billion. I could have told them it wouldn't work and they could have saved their money.

What a waste of good money President Bush and your bible bashing supporters. :thumb:
  • Options
    How do you stop people from having sex? :confused: TBH, I think this is stupid - fair enough, promote safe sex but there's no point in trying to set up a campaign to stop teenagers doing it.
  • Options
    From what I understand, President Bush relies on the 'bible bashing' community in the US for support (sorry cant remember their proper name)

He therefore has to act strong to please these supporters, its just a shame telling kids not to have sex is pointless. As you say Sofie, its about education.

:thumb:
  • Options
    No way! My entire world has shattered and collapsed around my feet!
  • Options
    They taught abstinence and only abstinence in our sex ed classes in the public school I went to. And that aws a good 10 years ago, even before Bush :p We also had one of the highest teen pregnancy rates in the whole state :thumb:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Of course it wouldn't work. It's like telling a little kid to not put their hand in the fire but not telling them why nor what they should do if they get burned.
    Not a very good analogy maybe, but I'm hoping you get my point.
  • Options
    Of course it wouldn't work. It's like telling a little kid to not put their hand in the fire but not telling them why nor what they should do if they get burned.
    Not a very good analogy maybe, but I'm hoping you get my point.

I think I understand what you're getting at - you think that they should know the consquences of their actions else this will just make them curious? And if you tell someone not to do something, they WILL do it.
  • Options
    Yeah its like when someone says don't press that button, you just have to press it. :D
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Sofie wrote: »
    I think I understand what you're getting at - you think that they should know the consquences of their actions else this will just make them curious? And if you tell someone not to do something, they WILL do it.
    Not only they should know the consequences, but also how to minimise the "damage" if something does happen.
  • Options
    Not only they should know the consequences, but also how to minimise the "damage" if something does happen.

:yes:
  • Options
    I'm not suprised at all. Next time try using a legitimate form of education, inform rather than tell them to just not.
  • Options
    I really struggle to understand sometimes. How is it difficult, when you have a problem to solve, to look at another country who has already solved the exact same problem, and copy what they're doing? I don't know anyone on the planet that didn't predict that this idea would fall flat on its arse like every other similar scheme in history. Ah well, it's not my country.
  • Options
    More in Todays news: Bears found shitting in woods, Pope is Catholic...
  • Options
    This survey says as much about standard sex education (in the US at least) as it does about abstinence education.

One way to look at the results of that survey is that abstinence education is as effective as 'normal' sex education. Which seems to suggest that standard sex education in the US isn't working very well either (at least in reducing teen sex).

Really though, finding 'sex rates' isn't that informative. What would be interesting is to find how the different groups behaved in terms of pregnancy and STDs.....