Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Ibs

Due to various problems, mum thinks I may have this. Is there a test of some sort that the doctor can do to find ut whether I've got this please?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Nope. Usually you describe your symptoms, they tell you if it is or if it isn't.
    IBS comes in many forms and each person has different symptoms. There are no tests for it unfortunately.
  • Options
    Aye. You often have tests when you are first diagnosed, but they're to rule out any more serious diseases, especially if you have quite ambiguous or severe symptoms.

There is no test that will either confirm or deny that you have IBS.
  • Options
    So if I go to the doctor about my stomach problems (which mum thinks is IBS because her sister has the same problems and does have IBS) what are they likely to do to me?
  • Options
    When I first went to the GP complaining of bloating, wind, cramps, diorrhea (sp) and stuff, he suspected it was IBS and sent me off with a prescription for Colpermin - Peppermint oil capsules. Went back about 3 weeks later with less symptoms, so he diagnosed it as IBS.

I don't know what they'd do if it was more serious, because I've never been told of any of the tests. My guess would be, they involve a camera and an orrifice. :nervous:
  • Options
    When I first went to the GP complaining of bloating, wind, cramps, diorrhea (sp).

Which is what I keep on getting, but at first put the cramps down to period pains. (which I normally get around my period anyway)
  • Options
    Mine was pain and churning after eating, that would usually go on all day. I got put on muscle relaxants and they seem to have done the trick.
  • Options
    Do you get those symptoms at any specific time? Like, after eating? or when you're stressed? or when you're nervous?

I find my IBS rears it's ugly head when I've got a lot on my mind. I've got a uni interview coming up and I'm already planning my Immodium and Kalms intake because I know how my body will react to the stress of it.
  • Options
    Currently, it's after I eat anything apart from oatibix and soya milk. I have been a bit stressed lately though - which probably hasn't helped.
  • Options
    Yeah, sounds pretty much like IBS to me. Your GP will probably assume the same and just give you something to relieve the discomfort and then ask you to come back in a few weeks or something like that.
  • Options
    For the past couple of months I've been getting pain and churning after I eat. I also sometimes need the loo really badly as soon as I've eaten anything. I sometimes go days without going to the loo and then other days have really bad diarrhoea. It's starting to riun my life a little because I'm afraid to be away from home and my loo for too long. :crying:

I've not been to the doctors as yet because we're having medical reports compiled for life insurance so I'm waiting until that's sorted as don't want my premium to go up!
  • Options
    Ilora - the problems I get with my body cos of my anxiety is one of the reasons I'm going to sort my anxiety! :yippe: it's terrible tho isn't it? Especially when you into an interview and your tummy starts going funny and you think you're going to poo yourself... literally.

Or is that just me?

One day I was nervous about going to school, and did actually do it a little bit, so ran home again lol and changed underwear
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Ilora - the problems I get with my body cos of my anxiety is one of the reasons I'm going to sort my anxiety! :yippe: it's terrible tho isn't it? Especially when you into an interview and your tummy starts going funny and you think you're going to poo yourself... literally.

Or is that just me?

One day I was nervous about going to school, and did actually do it a little bit, so ran home again lol and changed underwear
    Yep, I get that. I can't say I've actually pooed myself though, fortunately!

But yeh, I get anxious very easily and thus have to suffer the physical consequences. But, what can ya do eh?
  • Options
    In my defence :p it was only the one occurence, and it was only a little teeny bit. :blush: And I did all the necessary housekeeping aftewards, was late to school and got in trouble as per usual for being 'disorganised'. When I told them I get nervous, they said it's cos I'm disorganised. Circular argument really.

But I'm not at college now :D and don't have to worry... at least not until I go to job interviews. I find if I pretend I don't care abuot the job I always fare better :)
  • Options
    Yep, it's definitely in the mind.

I'm trying not to think about my uni interview too much, because I know I'll make my IBS worse. Definitely not thinking about it helps.. or, well it helps me!
  • Options
    When i went to the doctors and explained my symptoms the reply was " You have IBS ". I was told not to eat too much food that was rich, and that was it.

In the end i did my own research and i tested myself with different foods to see what started off the terrible cramps. Of course stress is one of the main causes.

I find that most nights of the week it starts playing up and i found that Gaviscon works wonders but I've found that sometimes it can have no effect at all, on myself of course i mean.