Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

'Chrisitian'

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    They are, but just because catholics believe one thing doesn't mean that all christians believe the same.

I realise that, that wasn't what I was asking or suggesting, I was raised Catholic, but the way I was taught at school was that Christianity encompasses all the denominations within it. The fact that there are denominations clearly states that they don't share the same beliefs regarding specific things, like transubstansiation.
    Though you might have trouble understanding that not everyone in a group has the exact same opinion.

I know I'm sleep deprived, but were you just trying to insult me?
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote: »
    Hmm :/ I was pretty sure they done away with limbo years ago too. We were never taught/told about it (in Catholic primary and secondary school) and both my parents seem pretty sure the Catholic church have pretty much denied it's there for ages.

EDIT: Further down the page on that article it says "It has not really been standard teaching for decades and it has not been part of official teaching since the early 1990s, when it was omitted from the catechism - the Church's summary of religious doctrine. "Most priests don't talk about the notion of limbo anymore. There is a understanding that it just simply doesn't wash with people," says Mr Walsh."

Explains it I guess.

Yeah, I had never really heard about it during schooling or church. The only time I had ever heard of limbo being mentioned was in my family when I said I wasn't going to have my children baptised. "But if they die they'll forever be in limbo!"
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    No, being baptised as a baby doesn't make a person a Christian, it makes them a child of Christian parents.

No, they are nomally still Christain. Whether they are a practicing one is another matter.
  • Options
    Kiezo wrote: »
    Catholicism done away with that decades ago. Bit stupid how they can just chop and change a religion as they please and suddenly whatever they say becomes the new "right".

That's because Catholicism is based on Scripture and Dogma/Doctrine.

The Reformation happened because people were sick of the Dogma and corruption, wanted a Church that focuses more on Scripture. It's why us Catholics have tonnes of stupid rituals/superstition and Protestants don't really.
  • Options
    I would say its not so much a if your baptized your christian but more of a if your not baptized your not christian. Not in the super obvious sense, but like You can still go to church and stuff believe/do what you will but if your not baptized or confirmed then your technically not a member of the community or however they phrase that.
  • Options
    my_name wrote: »
    I would say its not so much a if your baptized your christian but more of a if your not baptized your not christian. Not in the super obvious sense, but like You can still go to church and stuff believe/do what you will but if your not baptized or confirmed then your technically not a member of the community or however they phrase that.

good point.
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    No, they are nomally still Christain. Whether they are a practicing one is another matter.
    unless you consider yourself a christian, you are not one. regardless of if you were baptised as a kid.
  • Options
    only if you decide you're a christian. If you're baptised and decide you know longer believe in the faith it's not like they can force you to believe.
  • Options
    (sighs) religion creator of disputes and war (this is a post war)

religion sickens me!
  • Options
    religion sickens me!

Why? I'm assuming its because religious people have done lots of nasty things over the years, but so have (in case you havent noticed) lots of non-religious people too.

What people do in the name of a religion isnt the fault of the religion per say, its the fault of the person.

Its people that are the problem, not anything else.
  • Options
    *wonders if ricky knows anything religion or whether he's just going by the bad stuff reported on TV*
  • Options
    Tbh, I think that going to church makes you a Christian... Unless you're a gnostic, I don't think they go to church.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Tbh, I think that going to church makes you a Christian... Unless you're a gnostic, I don't think they go to church.

Church attendance is next to meaningless, if you are actually refering to how Jesus described it (in the Bible), then it only has to do with whether you have accepted the Holy Spirit into your heart. You dont have to attend Church, you dont have to be baptised, you dont have to be confirmed, it is to do with you and your personal relationship with God.
  • Options
    xsazx wrote: »
    surely agnostics wouldnt go to church as theyre uncertain and theres alot more to the religion than going to church

Gnosticism is not the same as agnosticism.
  • Options
    I consider myself to be a Christian but I don't remember ever going to church. I haven't been christened my parents wanted to give me the choice but I'm not that bothered about whether I get christened or not.
  • Options
    I'm still a Catholic, I'm just a bad Catholic.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    That's because Catholicism is based on Scripture and Dogma/Doctrine.

I know why they do it, but it's still pretty stupid IMO. Surely what god says is right. God shouldn't need to compromise or settle because of dogmatic definition.
  • Options
    I think that you get converted to Christianity when you get "confirmed". "Confirmation" is a type of proceedings/service that takes place at the church.
  • Options
    Monserrat wrote: »
    I think that you get converted to Christianity when you get "confirmed". "Confirmation" is a type of proceedings/service that takes place at the church.

You need to have been baptised in order to be confirmed so confirmation is not there to convert anyone but to confirm the baptism and thus the individual as a christian.

They confirm the majority of kids as 13 year olds in Iceland, we're still probably one the least active 'christian' nations in the western world. :lol: It's now become a purely capitalistic ceremony adding one more shopping season on to the calendar. Money is God.

I'm not religious. The only time it sucks a bit is when I have somebody close to me die. It's a bit hard to believe there is nothing once life is over when it's happening to somebody you love and care about.
    As long as people keep their faith to themselves I don't care at all what they believe in. I'll discuss it with them if it comes up and I'm curious, but I really don't like those who try to force their beliefs onto somebody else. Just as I try not to force my non-belief onto those around me. ;)
  • Options
    Jaloux wrote: »
    As long as people keep their faith to themselves I don't care at all what they believe in. I'll discuss it with them if it comes up and I'm curious, but I really don't like those who try to force their beliefs onto somebody else. Just as I try not to force my non-belief onto those around me. ;)

I totally agree with that mate! As long as it's not forced on me, it's cool.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Religion is personal decision tbh.

No amounts of ceremonis changes that. It's your choice what to believe, based on the evidence you consider the best.
  • Options
    The baptism of babies is non-scriptural. It's nowhere in the Bible. It's a church-designed rite. The New Testament refers to adult baptism which is a physical representation of dying from sin and being born again into Christ's family - the full submersion and withdrawal of the convert from water. Babies cannot make this decision so a church baptism is quite pointless really.

A Christian is someone who acknowledges Jesus Christ as their Lord, repents, turns away from sin and follows Him.