Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Just a flying visit...

1235»

Comments

• Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I am pleased it went well, and that you all got a nice cuddle

Thinking about you sweetie, and sending lots of love :heart:
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thank God for that. Ive been thinking about you and hoping it went well.
    (get all worried when you arent on for a day or two now)

Thanks Abbie, yeah it's not ideal. Obviously being on the ward most of the time we're at the hospital we aren't even making phone calls as regularly as we should - my dear mother has turned up at the SC unit in a huge panic three times now. I need to get some kind of smoke signal-system going - "all is well" :D

They're both just fantastic today, feeding really well and generally looking quite happy (as opposed to surly and annoyed, as usual!). Astrid is being tried on Pepti-Junior at the moment, I'm not sure why she prefers that as it tastes like hell to me but then I'm not a baby... and I suppose I should be proud that she's cultivating her awkwardness at such a young age ;)

Poor little Silvia seems to have recovered well from her op. It's not 100% that she won't have to have another in the future but at least my mind has been put at rest for now. I started to convince myself she had cancer which is never good, I have turned into a quivering ball of hypochondria!

Thanks all :heart: Oh and Wyetry they will never want for anything handknitted, great minds think alike! Afterall how do you think Stephen and I wile away the hours at the hospital - it's like a baby clothing sweatshop/production line most days!
  • Options
    Do you have any idea when they'll be home? or is it just a case of them being home with you & Stephen when they're well enough?
  • Options
    We don't know. The nurses are constantly relating stories of how such and such a 2lb baby went home at 6 weeks and that it's not beyond the realms of possibility that that could happen for us. But it's definitely really just a case of them coming home when they're big and strong enough... and hopefully by that point Silvia will be breathing independently as the idea of taking her home still on o2 scares me witless.

It's a very strange feeling "visiting" your tiny babies in hospital like they're your granny or something. They're being looked after fabulously though, I'm just ever so grateful, I'm starting to lose the unbearable nervousness and fear of what might happen when we're not there. Which is really good [for me, and for Stephen who is being driven up the wall :p].
  • Options
    How long can you spend with them, are there restrictions on visiting times like on other wards?
  • Options
    Stephen and I can go to the unit anytime we like, and stay as long as we like. They have two bedrooms for mothers (there's another "private" suite which costs an arm and a leg but I won't go into that or I might pop a vein) so when there is a bed free I am able to stay over. I've been able to twice, which is nice, it especially gave me a lot of peace of mind being able to stay overnight with Silvia after her surgery.

I can't rave about the staff enough, during my nursing course I met so many harpies it's easy to forget what a fantastic job they do. There are three nurses who generally look after Astrid and Silvia and I arrange with them each day what time I'm coming in/staying until -- so I get to do all their bathing etc.

Before they come home we'll get to stay there for a night or two together in a room that looks like something from The Truman Show/1984/a lab to get used to having them "alone" ;)

Other visitors can usually come until 8pm, but no little kids other than direct relatives (i.e. other children, which I don't have) are allowed. They've been really good about letting grandparents, aunts, uncles etc visit when they've missed the right times though. Just depends who is on doorbell duty whether they get allowed in or not, really!
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    That sounds good enough. My brother and sister were born early (though not as much) and my dad and stepmum were only allowed to visit for a few hours each day... :(
  • Options
    I'm so glad it's going well for you all, I think about you and your girls all the time at the moment!

Oh and I can't knit, but if you ever feel the need for a crocheted moustache in the style of Robert Winston, I'm your girl. Seeing as that's as far as my woolly talents go :p
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »
    it especially gave me a lot of peace of mind being able to stay overnight with Silvia after her surgery.

I can imagine. Glad to hear she's recovering well from her op too.
  • Options
    I'm happy it all went well.
  • Options
    Awww, glad everything is going well and that :)
  • Options

Oh and I can't knit, but if you ever feel the need for a crocheted moustache in the style of Robert Winston, I'm your girl. Seeing as that's as far as my woolly talents go :p

I want one!!
  • Options
    I'm really happy everything's going well for you. :thumb:
  • Options
    I want one!!
    Don't joke because I will! Just you wait until my coursework is done :p

ETA: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y33/dappymuffin/crochet.jpg
  • Options
    Whaaaaat the hell!? How did I not realise you'd had your babies Briggi!? Congratulations, I'm glad to hear everything is going ok for you :)
  • Options
    Don't joke because I will! Just you wait until my coursework is done :p

ETA: http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y33/dappymuffin/crochet.jpg

haha wow! my friend who is a baby nurse person gave my bf who has just started knitting guidelines on how to knit a breast..it suggests a diff colour for nipples and everything..his face was :blush:

apparently the knitted version of a booby can help new mums to breastfeed
  • Options
    So happy everything is going well and the mini briggis are doing good :)
    Remember to take care of yourselves aswell as your two beautiful girlies!
  • Options
    Glad everythings going well briggi. They are gorgeous. :)
  • Options
    *bump*

how are the little ones Briggi? Hope they're growing big and strong! :)
  • Options
    Briggi when you get your arse back online will you empty your PM box? I tried the other day but it was FULL. Honestly woman!