Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Noisy neighbours

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Last year my boyfriend and I were fortunate enough to finally be able to afford to buy a terraced house and we are very happy here. However, about a month backsome new tenants moved in to the rented property next door. The loudness of music at weekends has been pretty bad, to the point where my boyfriend has had to ask them to turn it down. However, last night it was so bad that we could actually hear the lyrics of songs through our adjoining wall and it was vibrating. My partner went around at 11:30 and asked them to turn the music down and found that all the windows were open so the sound outside both the front and back was horrednous. they turned the music down slightly for about an hour, but then it got really loud again, along with screaming, singing and shouting which went on to 3 am. I stopped my boyf from going around again as they appeared to be very wasted.

My problem is that we don't really know what to do, with summer coming and lots of bank holidays we don't want the problem to continue - yesterday I was forced out of sitting in my garden because their music was so loud. Our plan at the moment is to contact their letting agent as it is a small firm and we know the staff there as we used to rent from them. Our concern with contacting anybody like the police is that we may end up with a "in dispute with our neighbours" clause when we go to sell our house.

does anybody have any advice

Comments

• Options
    leese wrote: »
    Last year my boyfriend and I were fortunate enough to finally be able to afford to buy a terraced house and we are very happy here. However, about a month backsome new tenants moved in to the rented property next door. The loudness of music at weekends has been pretty bad, to the point where my boyfriend has had to ask them to turn it down. However, last night it was so bad that we could actually hear the lyrics of songs through our adjoining wall and it was vibrating. My partner went around at 11:30 and asked them to turn the music down and found that all the windows were open so the sound outside both the front and back was horrednous. they turned the music down slightly for about an hour, but then it got really loud again, along with screaming, singing and shouting which went on to 3 am. I stopped my boyf from going around again as they appeared to be very wasted.

My problem is that we don't really know what to do, with summer coming and lots of bank holidays we don't want the problem to continue - yesterday I was forced out of sitting in my garden because their music was so loud. Our plan at the moment is to contact their letting agent as it is a small firm and we know the staff there as we used to rent from them. Our concern with contacting anybody like the police is that we may end up with a "in dispute with our neighbours" clause when we go to sell our house.

does anybody have any advice

I'd say speaking to the letting agents sounds a good starting point. A quick phone call from them warning them off maight do the trick.

Alternatively just mention it to them again (in a friendly sort of way) during the day when they are sober.
  • Options
    God some people are so inconsiderate. Last year the house backing onto ours used to play their music so loud in the garden until the early hours and cos my room was at the back of the house I wouldn't be able to sleep. I had to have the window shut even though it was boiling :( Cunts

Talk to the letting agent, or you can make an anonymous phone call to the police so they won't know its you

Also are they students? Because if they are and the police come round they'll get a warning and if they get another one they get kicked out of uni. If that's the case then they definatly will keep the noise down in future!!
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    Also are they students? Because if they are and the police come round they'll get a warning and if they get another one they get kicked out of uni. If that's the case then they definatly will keep the noise down in future!!

who told you that? sure it varies from uni to uni
  • Options
    olaola wrote: »
    who told you that? sure it varies from uni to uni

My boyfriend lived with people who played loud music and the police came round one night. I think its a warning for anti-social behaviour? Anyway he got told that if he got another warning he'd get kicked out of uni. I guess it does vary from uni to uni but its worth keeping in mind. Also it was the police who told him that, not the uni
  • Options
    You should definately contact the letting agency. If it is bothering you enough then I would do it in writing. They will then write to your neighbours givnig them a warning to behave. This will hopefully scare them into being more considerate. Remember though that you have to live next door to them until they decide to move, or you do :nervous:
  • Options
    I think environmental health at the council can also do things if it's the noise that is the problem, might be worth getting in touch with them.